Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level Graphics teacher is really bad. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm taking A Level Art and Design: Graphic Communication and I'm pretty sure we're all going to fail. For the last 3 weeks we've done practically nothing in class except waste our time, we've been taught nothing of value so far and we haven't even started filling our sketchbooks yet.

My teacher sets us homework and just expects us to know how to lay out pages, like we've all done graphics before when most of us haven't. I had to ask him to show us examples of previous sketchbooks to know what to do, and he only showed us about four pages of one before going off on a huge tangent about how our work would be different from each other's etc.
    He also set us homework which he said will take 5 hours, and only gave us two days to do it... ? My college states that students should do 5 hours of extra work a week at home, which is completely understandable, but that's meant to be done over the ENTIRE week, not over two days. I have a lot of homework from my other subjects so I don't know how I'm going to manage with it. Not to mention none of us understand what we're supposed to do for said homework since all he said was, "Produce a page in your sketchbooks on each of the following: contrast, rhythm, emphasis etc." That's it...? I have no idea what on earth I'm supposed to include in these pages except maybe some sketches or photos or something. Like I said, I haven't even started anything in my sketchbook yet.

I spoke to some of the other students in my class and they're worried that they're going to fail graphics. I don't know what I should do except drop the subject for fine art, which would be a bit of a shame since one of the main reasons I went to the college was to do graphics in the first place. At least I heard the teacher for fine art is really good, and if it means not having to feel so stressed about a subject, maybe I should take it.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    You need to tell the teacher or head of school/collage what ever you go to you won't have any improvements if they do not understand how you feel. Speak out and be heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSomeRandomer)
    You need to tell the teacher or head of school/collage what ever you go to you won't have any improvements if they do not understand how you feel. Speak out and be heard.
    Thank you! I will definitely speak to someone, but if the situation doesn't improve I might drop graphics and pick up fine art instead

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.