Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Please can I get peoples thoughts.

I am 26 years old and graduated in 2012 with a high 2:1 in Biological Sciences from the University of East Anglia. Since then I have been working in finance in London feeling somewhat unfufilled in my career choice. After a lot of consideration I have decided to apply to study medicine.

The problem is I have only recently made this choice and have missed Ukcat and Gamsat. I have a potential place to take BMAT in November but haven't done Maths or Physics in a long time. Similarly whilst I have leadership experience; I used to be in the territorial army and have got various management qualifications however I limited hospital work experience to date and I am currently applying for volunteer roles.

The only Uni it seems I still have an opportunity with this time round is Brighton & Sussex. I am wondering if it is all too much i.e. will I be able to get up to speed on BMAT in time; will I be declined for lack of work experience anyway.

However if I wait it won't be 2 years till I start if I even get a place! Is that getting too old along with financial implications.

I would love to get thoughts on if you think I should apply or not this year.

Many thanks.
    Olly

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about your age, a lot of grad meds I've spoken with (including myself) are approaching 30 by admission. I Will be just 31 by the time I am admitted (assuming I get in the first application cycle).

My advice would be to forget this year's application and use this time to really get knuckled down with regards to the GAMSAT, UKCAT (or BMAT) and work experience. From what I understand, GEM is insanely competitive and a lot of unis have a requirement clause that you prove you have studied within the last couple of years, so it might be worth doing a sciency short course with the OU (30 credits in a chemistry course would be really advised).... it will also set you in good stead for GAMSAT revision.
    I've just started GAMSAT revision for Sept 2018 and I am a little shell shocked to say the least, that's even after still being in education mode.
    You only have 10 days to complete your med application in anyway, and it's not an application to rush.
    It would definitely be worth improving your experience in the care industry, particularly for your own knowledge, if the idea of medicine is a fairly new idea, it's not really the career to rush into.... you might find that 6 months in the care industry is enough to put you off dementia patients for life (or it may cement your passion to continue as a medic- such as myself).

Also, it would really be worth going to open days to see the course layout etc.... a lot of the interview material can be found during the talks offered at the Open days. It's also important to decide what teaching style would suit you the most (CBL, PBL, Lectures, Prossection/ dissection etc). I suppose, what I'm getting at, is that you have a huge amount of information to source out in 10 days if you try to apply this year.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I think you'd need to be a pretty exceptional candidate to be offered a place with very minimal W.E and a really short amount of time to really research each Uni you apply to accepting BMAT
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olly_Wolf)
    Hi Guys,

I am 26 years old and graduated in 2012 with a high 2:1 in Biological Sciences from the University of East Anglia. Since then I have been working in finance in London feeling somewhat unfufilled in my career choice. After a lot of consideration I have decided to apply to study medicine.

The problem is I have only recently made this choice and have missed Ukcat and Gamsat. I have a potential place to take BMAT in November but haven't done Maths or Physics in a long time. Similarly whilst I have leadership experience; I used to be in the territorial army and have got various management qualifications however I limited hospital work experience to date and I am currently applying for volunteer roles.

The only Uni it seems I still have an opportunity with this time round is Brighton & Sussex. I am wondering if it is all too much i.e. will I be able to get up to speed on BMAT in time; will I be declined for lack of work experience anyway.

However if I wait it won't be 2 years till I start if I even get a place! Is that getting too old along with financial implications.

Many thanks.
    Olly
    You would need to self finance for BSMS, so I would echo the above user and say give this year a miss and work on getting up to speed for next year.

And you definitely won't be too old.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I think I will get some proper volunteering/work experience under my belt and properly gear up for application next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Many thanks.
    Olly
    I actually think you should go for it this year. The worst that could happen is you get rejections. The application itself is not that long to fill out, the difficult bit would be finding a referee at such short notice. If you're able to do that, then apply now.

start studying for the GAMSAT NOW and try and do it in the March sitting (if you don't get any offers) so you know exactly what your score is when you're applying.

Lastly, most unis don't care about the quantity of work experience (except warwick). the most important thing is what you learnt from it.

Again, what's the worst that could happen? Just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Many thanks.
    Olly

Hello,
    I’m Brazilian and I’m studying Medicine in Bolivia. No exams entry.
    The fees is only 250 USA dólares monthly.
    Start February- June and August - December.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I think I will get some proper volunteering/work experience under my belt and properly gear up for application next year.
    I am applying to study overseas and from what I have read you can do a four year GEM programme in Poznan in Poland.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.