Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being Single Watch

Announcements

I'm the only one of my friends who's single. Usually it doesn't bother me and I say I'm happy being single as I couldn't have a relationship right now due to the fact that I don't think I could deal with it along side uni and working part time. But then I see all my friends happily in relationships and all these happy couples on social media and I just think "I want that" and then I'm sat wondering when is it my turn, i end up fantasising about guys who I've been talking to online and I haven't even met and then I feel really upset when they suddenly ignore me. Then I cry cause I realise that I'm so pathetic and I'm probably gonna be alone forever because no guy has ever shown interest in me for more than a one time kinda thing. I go on apps like tinder out of pure boredom and then reject guys who actually show interest in me because I'm not attracted to them, then get upset when the guys I am attracted to don't wanna talk to me and I just feel so pathetic and alone because honestly I don't want to be single forever, I want someone to care for me, hold my hand do couple stuff with and post cute couple photos of on social media, but I just feel like I'll never have that and everyone keeps going on at me about how nice it is being in a relationship and how I need to put myself out there but I just can't, I feel like I'm too damaged for anyone and I can't take much more rejection it's just too much now. And I just feel like I'm in a endless cycle of despair.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1) get off social media (this doesn't count, it's a forum site)
    2) improve yourself
    3) talk to many people
    4) if that doesn't work and you're still desperate for companionship you might have to lower your expectations just a little bit...

If you want true love, then wait, you won't find it by forcing it. Try and enjoy your life the way it is and let love find you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm the only one of my friends who's single. Usually it doesn't bother me and I say I'm happy being single as I couldn't have a relationship right now due to the fact that I don't think I could deal with it along side uni and working part time. But then I see all my friends happily in relationships and all these happy couples on social media and I just think "I want that" and then I'm sat wondering when is it my turn, i end up fantasising about guys who I've been talking to online and I haven't even met and then I feel really upset when they suddenly ignore me. Then I cry cause I realise that I'm so pathetic and I'm probably gonna be alone forever because no guy has ever shown interest in me for more than a one time kinda thing. I go on apps like tinder out of pure boredom and then reject guys who actually show interest in me because I'm not attracted to them, then get upset when the guys I am attracted to don't wanna talk to me and I just feel so pathetic and alone because honestly I don't want to be single forever, I want someone to care for me, hold my hand do couple stuff with and post cute couple photos of on social media, but I just feel like I'll never have that and everyone keeps going on at me about how nice it is being in a relationship and how I need to put myself out there but I just can't, I feel like I'm too damaged for anyone and I can't take much more rejection it's just too much now. And I just feel like I'm in a endless cycle of despair.
    Ok, this first bit very important, there is nothing wrong with you!
    It's very easy to get stuck into this spiral of despair where we convince ourselves that we're going to be alone forever but these aren't rational thoughts.
    Get out and enjoy yourself, don't put yourself under any pressure to find the perfect boyfriend immediately. Some of us just have to wait a little longer before we find the people we really connect with, but they are out there!
    Ignore all the people who will probably come on here telling you to lower your standards, it's BS, no one should ever have to settle, it's not fair on either party if you're not truly happy. Just try to relax and enjoy being single, no meaningful relationship starts while you're looking for it!

ReputationRep:
    Your trying to hard love will come in time sometimes you try to hard it can give people the wrong impression of you maybe you should go to a club that interest you and people there will like simlair things ,I met my long term partner at work so don't give up just don't force it to much let it happen naturally you will meet someone you don't let get yourself down

ReputationRep:
    If you force yourself into a relationship, you're likely to settle and not be happy. And a relationship like that won't 1) be good for you, 2) last. It sounds cheesy toast, but you won't find what you're looking for until you STOP looking and maybe even then, when something does happen, I bet they're a million miles from what you thought you wanted (in a good way). I've known so many people who, when single / having never had a significant other, always said they had "a type", then when they got into a happy relationship, that person was the total opposite. This is a chapter on how love works.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Love comes when you least expect it, even more so when you fixate less on it and focus on improving yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Good things come to those who wait(and also put in a bit of effort). Don't worry about what other people think. Many people experience relationships at different times, just because you start later than your friends doesn't mean there's a problem with you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.