Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it financially viable to do a second fast-track degree following the first degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am currently studying Economics and Econometrics at Bristol university and I am thoroughly enjoying the course.

However, I have realised recently that my passion lies in the rigour and proofs of pure mathematics; unfortunately, the uni won't let me change to a Mathematics and Economics course.

But this may not be a bad thing as I am very excited to do two degrees; I was thinking about doing a two-year fast-track Mathematics degree after finishing my 3 year Econ Econometrics course (the reason why I am considering a fast-track degree is because of the overlap between my course and the straight Mathematics course and the fact that I have spent some time helping one of my flatmates with their pure mathematics course! This will help to reduce costs in the long run).

I'm a bit confused on how the funding system works for two bachelor degrees; will I be able to get gov't funding? Is the system different when compared to someone doing a 5-year bachelors + masters for one course, for example? What about exemptions for STEM subjects (does a pure mathematics course qualify?).

Thank you for your time!!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by rebirth61213)
    Hi.

I am currently studying Economics and Econometrics at Bristol university and I am thoroughly enjoying the course.

However, I have realised recently that my passion lies in the rigour and proofs of pure mathematics; unfortunately, the uni won't let me change to a Mathematics and Economics course.

But this may not be a bad thing as I am very excited to do two degrees; I was thinking about doing a two-year fast-track Mathematics degree after finishing my 3 year Econ + Econometrics course (the reason why I am considering a fast-track degree is because of the overlap between my course and the straight Mathematics course and the fact that I have spent some time helping one of my flatmates with their pure mathematics course! This will help to reduce costs in the long run).

I'm a bit confused on how the funding system works for two bachelor degrees; will I be able to get gov't funding? Is the system different when compared to someone doing a 5-year bachelors + masters for one course, for example?

Thank you for your time!!
    You only get funding for one first degree. Degree length +1 gift/ safety year if you are ill or change your mind.

You would have to fund a second undergrad degree yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You only get funding for one first degree. Degree length +1 gift/ safety year if you are ill or change your mind.

You would have to fund a second undergrad degree yourself.
    This isn't quite right. There are exceptions to this.

There is something about STEM part time, I do believe. But I don't know a huge amount about it.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tiger Rag)

There is something about STEM part time, I do believe. But I don't know a huge amount about it.
    ok, but feel free to link for the OP and future reference. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this; please could you elaborate. Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by rebirth61213)
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this; please could you elaborate. Thank you.
    Normally they will only lend you the money for one degree (however long) . If you have a bad year or change your mind they let you have one years spare funding. There are some exceptions where they will fund a second degree, Mostly healthcare, but Tiger Rag has indicated there are some further exceptions for part time stem degrees. I'm happy to take her word for it and dont know about those, so it will require a bit more research by you. Ask SFE.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)

This person is right, have a look at the Open University

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-a...qualifications

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.