The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

^^

Scroll to see replies

Where is your mum living? Is she married or single? How many kids does she have, and how old are they?
Reply 2
Original post by The_Architect
Where is your mum living? Is she married or single? How many kids does she have, and how old are they?

In the UK.
She's married but separated.
4 children.
whats her number?
Original post by wonderuss
In the UK.
She's married but separated.
4 children.

I actually meant whereabouts in the UK, makes a big difference imo. Also are the rest of the family Muslim?
Reply 5
I actually meant whereabouts in the UK, makes a big difference imo. Also are the rest of the family Muslim?

London.

We've never really been religious because my parents didn't teach us to be or teach us a lot about religion, etc (we didn't grow up in a religious environment). My dad is the only one that prays everyday but he doesn't live with us (also, that's the only Islamic pillar he practices). My brother still calls himself a Muslim even though he doesn't practice anything to do with it and my sisters and I kind of just carry the label of Muslim even though realistically we don't practice Islam.
Reply 6
Original post by saggy titties
whats her number?

x

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
London.

We've never really been religious because my parents didn't teach us to be or teach us a lot about religion, etc (we didn't grow up in a religious environment). My dad is the only one that prays everyday but he doesn't live with us (also, that's the only Islamic pillar he practices). My brother still calls himself a Muslim even though he doesn't practice anything to do with it and my sisters and I kind of just carry the label of Muslim even though realistically we don't practice Islam.

I understand. Personally, I think the vast majority of those who identify as Muslim in the Western world follow this sort of archetype, more cultural Muslim than anything else. Given all that, I'm surprised your mum made the decision to actively leave Islam rather than just keep up the status quo.

Has she had any resistance from family or friends?
Reply 8
I understand. Personally, I think the vast majority of those who identify as Muslim in the Western world follow this sort of archetype, more cultural Muslim than anything else. Given all that, I'm surprised your mum made the decision to actively leave Islam rather than just keep up the status quo.

Has she had any resistance from family or friends?

Well she hasn't actually told anyone - no one knows of her views of Islam except for my primary family members. She simply doesn't believe in Islam anymore.
Reply 9
Well she hasn't actually told anyone - no one knows of her views of Islam except for my primary family members. She simply doesn't believe in Islam anymore.

But she did take off her hijab.

Btw I don't have relatives in the UK which is why doing this would be easier.
Reply 10
I thought I'd get more questions seeing as TSR seems to like threads like these lol. I'm bored.
But she did take off her hijab.

Btw I don't have relatives in the UK which is why doing this would be easier.

Do you and the rest of your family believe in it?
Reply 12
Do you and the rest of your family believe in it?

I don't believe in it. My brother does. My younger sister is too young to follow a religion and my older sister doesn't practice Islam and has some negative views about some of the things within it, idk if she believes in it.
I don't believe in it. My brother does. My younger sister is too young to follow a religion and my older sister doesn't practice Islam and has some negative views about some of the things within it, idk if she believes in it.

Fair enough, very interesting.
I thought I'd get more questions seeing as TSR seems to like threads like these lol. I'm bored.

Yeah, I did too tbh. Maybe you're early, lol.
Reply 15
Yeah, I did too tbh. Maybe you're early, lol.

lol
London.

Well then its clear ain't it. Those who aren't strong in faith in not just religion, but in anything, there faith will slowly get weaker. But anyways, what was the general reaction, say your friends, cousins and all of that jazz?
Original post by mc_miah
Well then its clear ain't it. Those who aren't strong in faith in not just religion, but in anything, there faith will slowly get weaker. But anyways, what was the general reaction, say your friends, cousins and all of that jazz?

I like how you threw in the casual moralising there - you just couldn't help it, could you? Was the existential insecurity at the thought that someone might come to actively disbelieve in the religion you see as perfect too much to bear?
(edited 6 years ago)
@ClearSky II Time to get out those invitations eh?
Reply 19
I like how you threw in the casual moralising there - you just couldn't help it, could you? Was the existential insecurity at the thought that someone might not believe in the religion you do too much to bear?

a low blow on his behalf true, but, the guy's got a point imo. If someone follows Islam really only cos' their parents just passed it down to them in a bit of a laissez-faire manner they probs will end up shunning it at one point or another. Same with any other religion I assume. Not really necessary though from him, agree with you on that front.

Quick Reply

Latest