The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Racoon
I'm afraid you need to check your history.

What?
Reply 181
Original post by wonderuss
lol what is this
I am a vocal critic of Islam.
They attempt to hide their despair at yet another person leaving islam by pretending that I get all excited when it happens, so in their heads I host this party to celebrate.

While I am always pleased when someone throws off the shackles of medieval superstition and oppressive dogma, if I had a party every time it happened, I'd be permanently pissed!

The irony is that over on ISOC, there is much mashallahing and alhamdillullahing and rejoicing whenever someone converts to Islam! (Yes, it does happen! I know, me too! )
Reply 182
Original post by FailedMyMocks
We don't yearn for it, or at least I don't.
Are you honestly telling me that Muslims do not believe this life to be a test and therefore this life is nothing but suffering for them. Therefore, they yearn for it to end to return back to their God and receive their promised reward.

In fact, why don't you go ahead and categorically say that you don't want to return back to Allah as early as possible.

This concept is intrinsic in the monotheistic religions.

However you can't deny in Islam there are many minor and major signs that have been prophesized and are coming true. Search it up if you want to know more.
State them briefly.

We are servants of God. We haven't come on this earth just to eat, sleep and die. There is a greater purpose to life, although you may not believe it.
This is your belief that you're a servant (i.e something else's property).

Why does God need your service?

It is not oppressive, sure Islam doesn't allow certain things but God is Al-Hakim (The Perfectly Wise) so he has reasons for this. Even though we may not see it immediately.
There are endless things which are proscribed in Islam which are perfectly acceptable if you take in moderation.

Just the essence of Islam, which is to be forced to entirely submit to a entity (which you don't know or necessarily like) and obey his every command (ahead of everything else) in order to avoid eternal punishment and receive rewards, is nothing but oppressive and controlling.

It is not Sadist. We are but servants to Allah and we belong to him.
You stated yourself that you must please and obey him (which involves your own suffering) for reward.

People in the west have high opinions of themselves. They drive nice cars, eat nice food have a rich lifestyle and think they have it all.
Ego/Pride is a problem.
I don't disagree with this.

And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful. [31:18]
Why does God demand and force absolutely all of his creation to bow and obey him at all times?
Original post by QE2
I am a vocal critic of Islam.
They attempt to hide their despair at yet another person leaving islam by pretending that I get all excited when it happens, so in their heads I host this party to celebrate.

While I am always pleased when someone throws off the shackles of medieval superstition and oppressive dogma, if I had a party every time it happened, I'd be permanently pissed!

The irony is that over on ISOC, there is much mashallahing and alhamdillullahing and rejoicing whenever someone converts to Islam! (Yes, it does happen! I know, me too! )

hahahahah
Original post by Racoon
I'm afraid you need to check your history.

Just to clarify, fighting is only allowed in self defence, not against people who permit freedom of religion. I think it is important to get this straight because lots of people randomly quote bits of the Holy Quran out of place.

23.39-40
"Permission [to fight] has been given to those who are being fought, because they were wronged. And indeed, Allah is competent to give them victory. [They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right - only because they say, "Our Lord is Allah." And were it not that Allah checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the name of Allah is much mentioned. And Allah will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might."

8.61: "And if they incline to peace, then incline to it [also] and rely upon Allah. Indeed, it is He who is the Hearing,
the Knowing."

60.8: "Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly."
Reply 185
Original post by JMR2017
Make sure it is not a Halal Dominos. That would be way too inappropriate...
I have no problem with eating halal food, and often do.

More irony. This time accusing me of restrictive and discriminatory practices when it is actually you who consider it "inapropriate" to eat non-halal food!
The whole idea of a Muslim mocking a non-Muslim over their restrictive eating rules is actually pretty hilarious! Did it not occur to you when you thought about it?
Original post by QE2
I have no problem with eating halal food, and often do.

More irony. This time accusing me of restrictive and discriminatory practices when it is actually you who consider it "inapropriate" to eat non-halal food!
The whole idea of a Muslim mocking a non-Muslim over their restrictive eating rules is actually pretty hilarious! Did it not occur to you when you thought about it?

It's just a joke buddy, don't take it too seriously. I am sure you eat and enjoy halal food all the time.
Good on her for leaving such an oppressive, restrictive ideology.
Original post by MiszShortee786
Did you go and read the thoughts of the Las Vegas killer? Or just being biased like the media? Did you also read the thoughts of the Muslims when they 'blew' things up?

If you're answer is no then it's best not to assume and accuse just because the media is feeding you and other individuals lies.

He was a murderer, not a terrorist.
His actions weren't politically or religiously motivated.
You're trying to paint a picture that the media is demonising Islam by not calling him a terrorist- time and time again the media has been in the defence of Islam, and yet you display such a victim mentality.
Reply 189
May Allah SWT guide you both.
If you had read the Quran, you would know that it is Allah who is misguiding them!
Nothing happens without his decree. If he hadn't wanted them to leave Islam, he would never have decreed that they left, but according to Qadr, it was written in the Preserved Tablet 50,000 years ago that they would leave. There is nothing that anyone could have done to change this. It is Allah's will, mashallah.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
He was a murderer, not a terrorist.
His actions weren't politically or religiously motivated.
You're trying to paint a picture that the media is demonising Islam by not calling him a terrorist- time and time again the media has been in the defence of Islam, and yet you display such a victim mentality.

this victim mentality actually irritates me so much.
Reply 191
Islam is a realistic religion.. Read into the verses you think you find violent.. read some tafsir and hopefully it will become clearer to you
Like Ibn Kathir's tafsir of 9:5, in which he says that it means that after the conquest of Mecca, the non-Muslims "have no choice but to accept Islam or die"?
Or where he explains that 5:33 means that anyone guilty of "opposition, contradiction or disbelief" can be executed, crucified, or have their hands and feet cut off?
Or where Al Qushairi says that 4:34 allows a husband to beat his wife with a rod "If a matter cannot be reconciled"?
Or where Al Jalalayn explains that Muslims can have sex with their female "spoils of war from the disbelievers"?

It is actually tafsir that often confirm that seemingly violent verses are actually violent!
Reply 192
It's worse when you delve deep into it I'm afraid...
This is true. I didn't really have much of an opinion about Islam (other than it was almost certainly nonsense) until I read the Quran. On being told that I didn't understand it bacuse I hadn't read it alongside a tafsir, I did that, and it was even worse! Reading a tafsir prompted me to look at the hadith and that removes any possible doubt as to the violent, oppressive, discriminatory and intolerant nature of much of Islam!
Reply 193
Lmao. It is not a book to be read at face value. There are many levels of meanings that can be derived and have been derived from the Qur'an.
But it is supposed to be the perfect, unchangable, final, universal guide for all humanity. How can it be this if passages can have different meanings?
It makes zero sense in that context!
Otherwise, you would get different factions all following different interpretations and claiming that their version was the only true one and the others were muhafiq. Why, it could even end in violence and conflict!

The Qur'an is beatiful. Hear some recitation on Youtube it honestly is like food for the soul.
No different to listening to music. It has the same effect, but no one claims that it was all written by gods!
Original post by Mil99
Are you honestly telling me that Muslims do not believe this life to be a test and therefore this life is nothing but suffering for them. Therefore, they yearn for it to end to return back to their God and receive their promised reward.

In fact, why don't you go ahead and categorically say that you don't want to return back to Allah as early as possible.

This concept is intrinsic in the monotheistic religions.

I don't get what you're saying. This life is a test, without doubt. There are trials and there is suffering but that is the nature of this Dunya (World).

Our Prophet(PBUH) said ''The most severely tested people are the prophets, then the next best, then the next best. A man will be tested in accordance with his level of commitment to God.''

Allah SWT says, 'Do the people think they will be left to say 'We Believe' and they will not be tested'? [29/2]

I want to return to Allah when he is pleased with me yes. Trials are themselves from Allah, the more you grow closer to him the harder the tests and the better the rewards in the Akhira (Hereafter).

I would say the Muslims in the west are suffering more than those in other countries even though they have all their basic needs met.

Original post by Mil99
State them briefly.

The disappearance of knowledge and the appearance of ignorance (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad) .Books/writing will be widespread and (religious) knowledge will be low (Ahmad)

Adultery and fornication will be prevalent (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this has never happened without new diseases befalling the people, which their ancestors had not known.) (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Al-Haythami)

When fornication becomes widespread among your leaders (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this will happen when the people stop forbidding evil) (Ibn Majah)

Adultery and fornication will be performed in the open
The consumption of intoxicants will be widespread (Bukhari & Muslim)

Women will outnumber men......eventually 50:1 (Bukhari, Muslim, & Ahmad)

Killing, killing, killing (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad)

The nations of the earth will gather against the Muslims like hungry people going to sit down to a table full of food. This will occur when the Muslims are large in number, but "like the foam of the sea".

There are many others, I just did a quick google search.

Original post by Mil99
This is your belief that you're a servant (i.e something else's property).

Why does God need your service?

Yes. We belong to Allah. He has created us to worship him alone.
He doesn't need our service, he doesn't require anything he is the eternal being. In-fact we need him!

Why should we not pray to our Lord who has given us life. Who has given us sustenance. Who has given us our role model and a mercy to mankind.

Original post by Mil99
There are endless things which are proscribed in Islam which are perfectly acceptable if you take in moderation.

Just the essence of Islam, which is to be forced to entirely submit to a entity (which you don't know or necessarily like) and obey his every command (ahead of everything else) in order to avoid eternal punishment and receive rewards, is nothing but oppressive and controlling.
You stated yourself that you must please and obey him (which involves your own suffering) for reward.

Nobody is forcing anyone. You are free to do what you please.
this victim mentality actually irritates me so much.

Tell me about it...

Also you single-handedly defeated multiple iSOC extremists at once, mashallah!
Reply 196
Original post by xxxtentacion..
Are you stupid? Any muslim knows that islam promotes peace. Wherever the Quran prescribes peace, it is usually with the proviso of submitting to Islam.

For the violence shown, bear in mind that those events happened hundreds of years ago
Oh, so the Quran is not the perfect, unchangable, universal guide for all humanity then? Some of it was written only for 7th century Arabs?

You do realise that this calls into question some of the most basic tenets of Islam?
What source are you getting your translation from? Why don't we use the official site of the Qur'an..? I don't know the context of that particular verse but if it is talking about hell-fire then yes, I wouldn't want to experience a second of the torment in there.

May Allah protect us.

Don’t worry. You won’t experience hellfire, no one will because it doesn’t exist.
Original post by QE2
Like Ibn Kathir's tafsir of 9:5, in which he says that it means that after the conquest of Mecca, the non-Muslims "have no choice but to accept Islam or die"?
Or where he explains that 5:33 means that anyone guilty of "opposition, contradiction or disbelief" can be executed, crucified, or have their hands and feet cut off?
Or where Al Qushairi says that 4:34 allows a husband to beat his wife with a rod "If a matter cannot be reconciled"?
Or where Al Jalalayn explains that Muslims can have sex with their female "spoils of war from the disbelievers"?

It is actually tafsir that often confirm that seemingly violent verses are actually violent!

I'm not sure about the tafsir for them verses however go back to the Qur'an.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Don’t worry. You won’t experience hellfire, no one will because it doesn’t exist.

I wouldn't be so sure Mr Crown :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest