The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FailedMyMocks
May Allah SWT guide you both.

Ameen
Reply 41
@FailedMyMocks @xxxtentacion.. Thank you - may God guide you both, too.
Reply 42
Anymore questions?
Original post by wonderuss
How did you come to the conclusion that my mum's faith wasn't strong? My mum's faith was very strong. She used to pray and make dua all the time for God to help her despite her bad situation not getting any better. She went through a hell of a lot and still remained faithful for years. She was even more religious than my dad who never made dua or anything like that - just prays as part of his routine. Not only that, but he didn't fast at all. When it was Ramadan and when it was only my parents living together, my mum used to make herself a very simple iftar of boiled potatoes or something and break her fast all by herself.

It was in recent years that she began learning new things about Islam and began changing her views towards it. She began to question things like the many contradictions within the Quran and why the woman had to be under the power of males - with the hijab being part of this. She also began to be aware of some of the horrible violent things written in the Quran and began questioning - is this really something God would say? She then came to the conclusion that the Quran was not the words of God AT ALL and that the Quran is a book written by a bunch of medieval guys as part of their power agenda over the people at the time, which is why you'll notice some weird irrelevant rules written in the Quran that are not at all relevant to today's day and age. Yet, people still choose to live their life by the rules of this book.

To answer your question - friends and people outside our primary family don't know about her views towards Islam. The only info they have is that she doesn't wear the hijab anymore.

Seriously what do you want us to say? MashaAllah that you're mum left Islam? I hope you are aware that this does not call for a celebration more a grievance but I don't think you will understand that point.

To call the Holy Quraan contradictory when not fully comprehending all of its contexts and stories is pretty pathetic on your behalf. It's true I totally agree with @mc_miah that it is indeed Allah that takes people out of the fold of Islam due to their low Imaan.

Your point about how your mother did so much for Islam did she also bleed head to toe get her 4 front teeth shattered in a war? Those are the basics. As a Muslim we are required to carry them actions out daily it's not rocket science. Majority of Muslims carry out the same actions as you're mother nothing special about it. What is is when one strives for their religion.

You also stated that the Holy Quraan was man-made please give me proof? Man wasn't as intelligent as the arabic words used in the Holy Quraan are very complex and have different meanings and connotations.

Learn to read Islam not judge it.
Reply 44
Original post by MiszShortee786
Seriously what do you want us to say? MashaAllah that you're mum left Islam? I hope you are aware that this does not call for a celebration more a grievance but I don't think you will understand that point.

Yes, masha'Allah indeed. Do you know what masha'Allah means? It means 'this is what God wills'. I'm certain that God doesn't want my mum (or anyone) following a religion that orders its followers to do such inhumane things. And don't come at me with the 'it's about context' BS - a religion which claims to be one of peace shouldn't utter a single word of violence or incite constant fear within its followers.

It's true I totally agree with @mc_miah that it is indeed Allah that takes people out of the fold of Islam due to their low Imaan.

Wow. You're saying that God himself makes Muslims leave His (alleged) religion?

You also stated that the Holy Quraan was man-made please give me proof? Man wasn't as intelligent as the arabic words used in the Holy Quraan are very complex and have different meanings and connotations.

Well, so was Shakespeare's work. Give me a better argument as to why it wasn't man-made, please.

Your point about how your mother did so much for Islam did she also bleed head to toe get her 4 front teeth shattered in a war? Those are the basics. As a Muslim we are required to carry them actions out daily it's not rocket science. Majority of Muslims carry out the same actions as you're mother nothing special about it. What is is when one strives for their religion.

Are you serious? I really don't know if that's sarcasm or not. But if you're serious, then um, I think we should end this discussion right here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you serious? I really don't know if that's sarcasm or not. But if you're serious, then um, I think we should end this discussion right here.

You're so ignorant it's unbelievable. If you must know I was referring to our beloved Prophet (SAW) who bled from head to toe during a war. If you're really interested you can find out the name and info.

Man-made? Have you read the Holy Quraan in Arabic? (Some words are repetitive I won't go in detail why) and some arabic words have different meanings. Comparing that to Shakespeare is offensive. Be careful of where you are going. The Holy Quraan is not a poem. Here's a challenge for you try to find the Asma-Sifaat of Hataa in the Holy Quraan. Bet you can't.

So before you compare and contrast learn you're basics of Islam before judging.

The Holy Quraan is more than just arabic words. It's a fountain of beautiful stories that even authors today couldn't think of. Why? Because it's not a fairy-tale believe it or not. Why are you so concerned about the Quraan mentioning violence? It's not a fairy tale where it ends in 'happily ever after'. Well I say that but who can ever refute the everlasting river of halal wine and rivers full of delicious milk. Did I also mention that you just have to think of food and it will come to you. Yes in Jannah.

I must say you have a lot to learn about you're peaceful religion. It's beautiful when you delve deeply into it and not disregard it because you disagree with a thing or two.
Reply 46
What took her so long?
Reply 47
Why are you so concerned about the Quraan mentioning violence? It's not a fairy tale where it ends in 'happily ever after'.

WHY ARE YOU NOT? What the fvck is wrong with you? No wonder Muslims have this terrorist label.

Well I say that but who can ever refute the everlasting river of halal wine and rivers full of delicious milk. Did I also mention that you just have to think of food and it will come to you. Yes in Jannah.

What do you mean by 'halal wine'? And why does God forbid wine in this life to then provide it as a luxury in your supposed afterlife ? This doesn't make any kind of sense.

And why would you need rivers of milk? Is this considered a luxury to you? lol just go to Tesco and buy as many bottles as you like, you don't need to wait lol.

It is exactly this that I was talking about - the Quran mentions irrelevant things to todays' day and age. This 'wine' and 'milk' were luxuries to the people at the time in which the Quran was written. Idk why you're acting like these are delicious things that you can't wait to have lol.

Also, you forgot to mention the 72 virgins that are gonna be there, too? Absolute bliss it'll be.

I must say you have a lot to learn about you're peaceful religion. It's beautiful when you delve deeply into it and not disregard it because you disagree with a thing or two.

So first you suggest that the mentions of violence in your Quran are basically okay and not something to be 'concerned' about and then in the end you continue to call Islam a peaceful religion? lol ok.

It's beautiful when you delve deeply into it and not disregard it because you disagree with a thing or two.

It's worse when you delve deep into it I'm afraid...
Reply 48
Original post by Zxyn
What took her so long?

She didn't have the resources to educate herself before. When she began reading up and becoming a more confident person she started changing her views.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 49
x

And why is your dp a picture of a woman with a niqab on like that's something to be proud of? Even the Quran doesn't say to cover your face. Why are you making your own rules? That's a huge sin, you know.
Islam is a realistic religion.. Read into the verses you think you find violent.. read some tafsir and hopefully it will become clearer to you
Reply 51
Islam is a realistic religion.. Read into the verses you think you find violent.. read some tafsir and hopefully it will become clearer to you

But the Quran is complete and fully detailed (6:38, 6:114, 6:89 and 12:11) ?

And do you know that following the words of scholars (including tafsir) instead of the words of God is a huge sin (9:31) ?

The Quran means what it says. There is nothing more to it. What do you mean the 'verses think are violent'? Only someone who can't read will not think they're violent, and anyone else who can read but denies it is simply a liar trying to defend their religion.
Reply 52
Muslims where you at? Do you agree with @MiszShortee786 that violence in the Quran is not something to be concerned about?
But the Quran is complete and fully detailed (6:38, 6:114, 6:89 and 12:11) ?

And do you know that following the words of scholars (including tafsir) instead of the words of God is a huge sin (9:31) ?

The Quran means what it says. There is nothing more to it. What do you mean the 'verses think are violent'? Only someone who can't read will not think they're violent, and anyone else who can read but denies it is simply a liar trying to defend their religion.

Lmao. It is not a book to be read at face value. There are many levels of meanings that can be derived and have been derived from the Qur'an. To fully appreciate the magnitude and beauty of its verses they lay muslim can read tafsir. The Qur'an is beatiful. Hear some recitation on Youtube it honestly is like food for the soul.
And why is your dp a picture of a woman with a niqab on like that's something to be proud of? Even the Quran doesn't say to cover your face. Why are you making your own rules? That's a huge sin, you know.

Why do you care that their picture is of a woman with a niqab? Its their choice? She didnt say it was compulsory to and who are you to tell her its a huge sin when you are not a muslim (or no longer)? that in itself is a big sin

Muslims where you at? Do you agree with @MiszShortee786 that violence in the Quran is not something to be concerned about?

Are you stupid? Any muslim knows that islam promotes peace. For the violence shown, bear in mind that those events happened hundreds of years ago
I was watching this thread and you literally twist @MiszShortee786 's words, she didnt say that violence in the Quran is something not to be concerned about
You literally need to educate yourself I am done with your stubbornness lmao wow.

It just sounds like you want to start up some trouble.. for no reason whatsoever. Lame.
Original post by xxxtentacion..
Why do you care that their picture is of a woman with a niqab? Its their choice? She didnt say it was compulsory to and who are you to tell her its a huge sin when you are not a muslim (or no longer)? that in itself is a big sin

Are you stupid? Any muslim knows that islam promotes peace. For the violence shown, bear in mind that those events happened hundreds of years ago
I was watching this thread and you literally twist @MiszShortee786 's words, she didnt say that violence in the Quran is something not to be concerned about
You literally need to educate yourself I am done with your stubbornness lmao wow.

Couldn't have said it better. Seems like OP wants to twist our words to make us look like we have said things we haven't. Shouldn't really entertain him/her.
Reply 57
Lmao. It is not a book to be read at face value. There are many levels of meanings that can be derived and have been derived from the Qur'an. To fully appreciate the magnitude and beauty of its verses they lay muslim can read tafsir. The Qur'an is beatiful. Hear some recitation on Youtube it honestly is like food for the soul.

"Punish the unbelievers with garments of fire, hooked iron rods, boiling water, melt their skin and bellies" (22:19)

How would you personally interpret this?
Reply 58
Original post by xxxtentacion..

"Why are you so concerned with violence in the Quran?"

How would you interpret this? What do you think it suggests about the person's views regarding violence in the Quran?
Reply 59
Couldn't have said it better. Seems like OP wants to twist our words to make us look like we have said things we haven't. Shouldn't really entertain him/her.

Tell me which words I've twisted, please.

Quick Reply

Latest