Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderuss)
    How did you come to the conclusion that my mum's faith wasn't strong? My mum's faith was very strong. She used to pray and make dua all the time for God to help her despite her bad situation not getting any better. She went through a hell of a lot and still remained faithful for years. She was even more religious than my dad who never made dua or anything like that - just prays as part of his routine. Not only that, but he didn't fast at all. When it was Ramadan and when it was only my parents living together, my mum used to make herself a very simple iftar of boiled potatoes or something and break her fast all by herself.

It was in recent years that she began learning new things about Islam and began changing her views towards it. She began to question things like the many contradictions within the Quran and why the woman had to be under the power of males - with the hijab being part of this. She also began to be aware of some of the horrible violent things written in the Quran and began questioning - is this really something God would say? She then came to the conclusion that the Quran was not the words of God AT ALL and that the Quran is a book written by a bunch of medieval guys as part of their power agenda over the people at the time, which is why you'll notice some weird irrelevant rules written in the Quran that are not at all relevant to today's day and age. Yet, people still choose to live their life by the rules of this book.

To answer your question - friends and people outside our primary family don't know about her views towards Islam. The only info they have is that she doesn't wear the hijab anymore.
    So interesting, thanks for that explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezoar)
    hala beek glad to hear that some of my people are finally beginning to see sense
    Haha Where you from?

ReputationRep:
    Haha Where you from?
    I'll PM you

ReputationRep:
    So you believe in a God that torments his creations and instills fear in their hearts if they don't worship Him?

So do you think that He created humans to worship Him?
    I believe God is just. He has Jannah for the righteous Muslims. True, Eternal happiness. Nothing like that can be found in this temporary, cold world. The Prophet SAW says This Dunya (World) is a prison for the Believer and Paradise for the disbelievers.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, so you believe in God.. but you don't like him is that what this is?

ReputationRep:
    WHY ARE YOU NOT? What the fvck is wrong with you? No wonder Muslims have this terrorist label.

What do you mean by 'halal wine'? And why does God forbid wine in this life to then provide it as a luxury in your supposed afterlife ? This doesn't make any kind of sense.

And why would you need rivers of milk? Is this considered a luxury to you? lol just go to Tesco and buy as many bottles as you like, you don't need to wait lol.

It is exactly this that I was talking about - the Quran mentions irrelevant things to todays' day and age. This 'wine' and 'milk' were luxuries to the people at the time in which the Quran was written. Idk why you're acting like these are delicious things that you can't wait to have lol.

Also, you forgot to mention the 72 virgins that are gonna be there, too? Absolute bliss it'll be.

So first you suggest that the mentions of violence in your Quran are basically okay and not something to be 'concerned' about and then in the end you continue to call Islam a peaceful religion? lol ok.

It's worse when you delve deep into it I'm afraid...

Also, you forgot to mention the 72 virgins that are gonna be there, too? Absolute bliss it'll be.

You mention the above, I'm always amazed at how people think paradise will be so wonderful when its just getting whatever you want, humanly speaking.

As a woman what do they think paradise all about? It is going to be for an eternity.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailedMyMocks)
    Wait, so you believe in God.. but you don't like him is that what this is?
    How did you come to that conclusion? lol.

Just because I don't believe in Islam doesn't mean I don't believe in God... that's kinda a closed minded conclusion don't ya think

ReputationRep:
    How did you come to that conclusion? lol.

Just because I don't believe in Islam doesn't mean I don't believe in God... that's kinda a closed minded conclusion don't ya think
    You don't like Islams concept of God? Humor me.. what do you believe.

ReputationRep:
    You don't like Islams concept of God? Humor me.. what do you believe.
    Nope, I don't believe in Islam's concept of God

Lol 'humor me..what do you believe' - this superior attitude that Muslims have over non-Muslims is another reason my mother and I left.

The way you ask this question as if there is no other concept of God that one can possibly have other than the Islamic concept lmao. Very very ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)

You mention the above, I'm always amazed at how people think paradise will be so wonderful when its just getting whatever you want, humanly speaking.

As a woman what do they think paradise all about? It is going to be for an eternity.....
    Exactly? It's just really confusing that women look forward to Islam's idea of paradise? I completely understand that men are buzzing for it because they'll all receive a bunch of 72 virgins of course but women have no reason to be lmao

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't believe in Islam's concept of God

Lol 'humor me..what do you believe' - this superior attitude that Muslims have over non-Muslims is another reason my mother and I left.

The way you ask this question as if there is no other concept of God that one can possibly have other than the Islamic concept lmao. Very very ignorant.
    No it was because you were being very secretive and weren't openly sharing your beliefs.. I believe in Islam 100%, you can call me ignorant deluded or whatever else tickles your fancy.

ReputationRep:
    No it was because you were being very secretive and weren't openly sharing your beliefs.. I believe in Islam 100%, you can call me ignorant deluded or whatever else tickles your fancy.
    Lol in what way was I secretive? I've been shouting my beliefs this whole time lol

I won't call you anything...all I will say is good luck and I wish you the best.

ReputationRep:
    Lol in what way was I secretive? I've been shouting my beliefs this whole time lol

I won't call you anything...all I will say is good luck and I wish you the best.
    You've been shouting your not a Muslim.. which made me assume you don't believe in God. You didn't clear that up until later on and I still don't know what religion you now follow if any. It was good talking to you too. Just learn more about Islam, It isn't what the western media make it out to be. They have such horrible and sickening double standards..

I won't babble. Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    You've been shouting your not a Muslim.. which made me assume you don't believe in God. You didn't clear that up until later on and I still don't know what religion you now follow if any. It was good talking to you too. Just learn more about Islam, It isn't what the western media make it out to be. They have such horrible and sickening double standards..

I won't babble. Good luck to you!
    I don't follow any religion.

Your superior attitude still hasn't left - 'just learn more about Islam' ? I have learnt a lot hence why I left. And no, I didn't learn about Islam from western media, I learnt about it from the Quran like one should.

ReputationRep:
    Does your mum, or do you want a medal?

ReputationRep:
    It's worse when you delve deep into it I'm afraid...
    Why are you focusing upon the negatives? I am not concerned purley because I do not question my religion unlike you.

Just to let you know it's not irrelevant. To be honest the way the description of the rivers of milk comes in the Sahih sitaa would excite anyone but you.

By the ways you still have not answered my question.

And FYI it's actually interesting when you delve into it. You would never be able to delve really deep due to your ignorance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Arab
    It's not only about reading the Holy Quraan it's about studying it to the extent where you're head hurts. Yes that's when knowledge will come however looking at today I doubt that knowledge would be prevalent nowadays.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiszShortee786)
    Why are you focusing upon the negatives? I am not concerned
    Why are you ignoring the negatives? It's part of your holy Quran and you're choosing to ignore some of your God's words. Tut tut.

purley because I do not question my religion unlike you.
    This is exactly the issue, hun.

Just to let you know it's not irrelevant. To be honest the way the description of the rivers of milk comes in the Sahih sitaa would excite anyone but you.
    lmao you're actually making me laugh now.

By the ways you still have not answered my question.
    You're the only one who's not answering my questions and purposely ignoring particular points I have said lol.

And FYI it's actually interesting when you delve into it. You would never be able to delve really deep due to your ignorance.
    As I've already said, it's 'delving deep' into it that makes people leave, lol. I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

ReputationRep:
    It's not only about reading the Holy Quraan it's about studying it to the extent where you're head hurts. Yes that's when knowledge will come however looking at today I doubt that knowledge would be prevalent nowadays.
    Exactly. Because it's irrelevant to today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kool Aid)
    Does your mum, or do you want a medal?
    Ah so original... :boring:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.