The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MiszShortee786
The media that classifies the Muslims as Terrorists?! Is that the media that you are talking about?

The media that frames random muslims as committing ridiculous crimes and when a white individual carries outthe same actions he is classified as having mental health issues. Double standards?

That media are you referring to?

Perhaps they should stop blowing stuff up then? You have to have a political motivation to be a terrorist.The guy in las vegas had no known motive whereas with muslim terrorists the motivation is Islam which is a political motivation.
Original post by Mythirdleg
Google is your friend. My parents are Hindu.

I'm not an authority on religion. How about asking your local imam if you're really interested about?

Ah okay, sorry for assuming you were Muslim. Anyway, the question still stands, what do you think about this verse in the Quran?

"Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other...As for those for whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them" (4:34)

Interested to know your views.
Original post by Robby2312
Perhaps they should stop blowing stuff up then? You have to have a political motivation to be a terrorist.The guy in las vegas had no known motive whereas with muslim terrorists the motivation is Islam which is a political motivation.

Did you go and read the thoughts of the Las Vegas killer? Or just being biased like the media? Did you also read the thoughts of the Muslims when they 'blew' things up?

If you're answer is no then it's best not to assume and accuse just because the media is feeding you and other individuals lies.
Original post by Robby2312

Those terrorists that blow stuff up are not muslims...thats what they seem to label themselves as
Original post by Mil99
Why is Islam so concerned and eager about the end of this world?

It will be the day of reckoning. It is like studying for a test and finding out how you have done. Only the test is this life and how you pass it is by pleasing the creator. It is God alone who knows when this time will come. However the major signs are very prevalent in our society so it's most certainly getting close.

"Verily the Hour is coming - My design is to keep it hidden - for every soul to receive its reward by the measure of its Endeavour. (The Noble Quran, 20:15)"
Well - you have the facts of history. From that you can deduce your own conclusions. Why do you need my opinion.

Read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/mughalempire_1.shtml

My family are Hindu - during 1947 they lost property, houses, land and were driven out with nothing. They came to India with nothing and had to start from scratch.

Does that make me hate a religious group? No, you need to take an individual for who they are - regardless of colour, race or religion.

Just because someone is born as Muslim or claims to believe in Islam doesn't "necessarily" make them a "Muslim"

Your statements are quite irrelevant to be honest and all you're really doing is dodging the question.

When did I suggest anything about hating a religious group? All I'm doing is taking facts from the Quran and asking questions which individuals here do not want to answer. Of course I agree that you need take an individual for who they are regardless of colour, race or religion, but that's irrelevant to our discussion.

I also agree that one isn't automatically a Muslim just because they were born into a Muslim family - but I don't see what point you're trying to make in relation to our discussion.
Reply 166
Original post by FailedMyMocks
It will be the day of reckoning.
Call it what you wish, but note how religous people yearn for the end of this world.

It's transparent how this reaosning can be destructive to a society.

It is like studying for a test and finding out how you have done.
Only that haven't confirmed that we are doing a test.
And that we haven't confirmed the existence of a God.
And if we are doing a test, God knows our result and thus this life cannot truly be a test.

Only the test is this life and how you pass it is by pleasing the creator.
Such a belief is a sadist one.

It sounds awefully oppressive to be forced to love/respect and fear/obey something in order to be granted a reward.
.......How can you even ask the question about killing innocent people?

Check this out but I think that there is a verse about there being no compulsion in religion.

Check out: 2:256

Read the verses before and after....
Original post by wonderuss
Your statements are quite irrelevant to be honest and all you're really doing is dodging the question.

When did I suggest anything about hating a religious group? All I'm doing is taking facts from the Quran and asking questions which individuals here do not want to answer. Of course I agree that you need take an individual for who they are regardless of colour, race or religion, but that's irrelevant to our discussion.

I also agree that one isn't automatically a Muslim just because they were born into a Muslim family - but I don't see what point you're trying to make in relation to our discussion.

My statements are quite irrelevant .... What do you want me to say? And why do I need to answer your question :-)

Don't you have a brain to think for yourself? The historical facts speak for themselves. Deduce from that what you think.

There's no point to having this discussion because it won't lead anywhere. If you want to do something useful be kind and help people less fortunate than yourself - which is what Islam teaches by the way!

You made a statement Islam is spread by the sword. So copy/paste the verses that say that.
Original post by Racoon
Read the verses before and after....

Yep so Ayat-ul-Kursi the one before ... Sorry what's the point you're trying to make?
Reply 170
Original post by jam277.75
That’s objectively not true though- by all accounts the Quran is considered a book of literature- in fact one which surpassed all others in that time. Arabic is a language known for its poetry and literature, and even those who opposed the religion at the time generally accepted it to be a work of art, and to this day it’s still considered to be one (Quranic Arabic is considered to be much more complex than traditional Arabic, which is complex in itself!). That’s just looking at it from a literature perspective, so it’s a bit naïve to call it a “book written by some medieval guys” regardless of your feelings towards the faith I’d say.
It is irrelevant how accomplished the writing is, it was either written by an omniscient, infallible god, or by some 7th century Arabs.
If it was the former, much of the content makes no sense.
If it was the latter, not only does the content make more sense, but it also means that the entire religion is false.

When we analyse the content of the Quran, there is nothing in there that suggests that it must have been written by an omniscient, infallible god rather than 7th century Arabs. Remember that pre-Islamic Arabia already had a rich culture of poetic story-telling and a tradition of elaborate oral recitation. Festivals would be held where poets and story-tellers would compete with each other.

In this context, there really is nothing remarkable about the Quran (other than people actually believing that it is the work of omniscient infallible divinity! ) Derivative, repetitive, disjointed, philosophically unsophisticated and entirely culturally and historically relative, it is hard to believe that anyone can think it is anything but the work of medieval authors.
Original post by Mil99
Call it what you wish, but note how religous people yearn for the end of this world.

It's transparent how this reaosning can be destructive to a society.

Only that haven't confirmed that we are doing a test.
And that we haven't confirmed the existence of a God.
And if we are doing a test, God knows our result and thus this life cannot truly be a test.

Such a belief is a sadist one.

It sounds awefully oppressive to be forced to love/respect and fear/obey something in order to be granted a reward.

We don't yearn for it, or at least I don't. However you can't deny in Islam there are many minor and major signs that have been prophesized and are coming true. Search it up if you want to know more.

We are servants of God. We haven't come on this earth just to eat, sleep and die. There is a greater purpose to life, although you may not believe it. It is not oppressive, sure Islam doesn't allow certain things but God is Al-Hakim (The Perfectly Wise) so he has reasons for this. Even though we may not see it immediately.

It is not Sadist. We are but servants to Allah and we belong to him.

People in the west have high opinions of themselves. They drive nice cars, eat nice food have a rich lifestyle and think they have it all.
Ego/Pride is a problem.

And do not turn your cheek [in contempt] toward people and do not walk through the earth exultantly. Indeed, Allah does not like everyone self-deluded and boastful. [31:18]
Yep so Ayat-ul-Kursi the one before ... Sorry what's the point you're trying to make?

After the verse you quote above which is so commonly used, there follows these in which the no compulsion statement contradicts its command to kill non-Muslims if they don't pay the infidel tax, and to massacre:

"Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the infidels and then they have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous. And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the infidels wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and pay tribute tax, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." - Quran 9*:4-5

How do you answer that?
Reply 173
Original post by ClearSky II
Am I late? :redface:

You have officially been invited to QE2's second leaving Islam celebration!
The party will be held in Domino's pizza to commemorate the successful Islam-leaving of yet another Muslim.
See you there at 12PM tomorrow!
Regards, QE2.

I hope you've got an account with your printer because you'll be needing these on a regular basis. Oh, and there have been a lot more than two of these shindigs!

Anyway, didn't you know that anyone who leaves Islam was never a real Muslim anyway? Come on! That's basic Islamic Apologetics 101.

I like Domino's.
Ignore the haters. You and your mum have made one of the best decisions that you will ever make in your life. Congratulations!

I am an ex Muslim (now Agnostic-Atheist) too and I left after I properly analysed the Quran with tafseer,various different Hadiths and the life of Muhammad. But leaving was harder for me as I lived in Pakistan back then and my family is deeply religious.

I made a thread about it which you might like
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4810160

You might find these links to be useful too
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comments/64ql28/why_we_left_islam_megathread_20/

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4236658

https://www.ex-muslim.org.uk

I would also recommend that you check out The Masked Arab on youtube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9JU55HpvRvCSb1TO2w_eDA
Original post by LadiesMan99
Ignore the haters. You and your mum have made one of the best decisions that you will ever make in your life. Congratulations!

I am an ex Muslim (now Agnostic-Atheist) too and I left after I properly analysed the Quran with tafseer,various different Hadiths and the life of Muhammad. But leaving was harder for me as I lived in Pakistan back then and my family is deeply religious.

I made a thread about it which you might like
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4810160

You might find these links to be useful too
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comments/64ql28/why_we_left_islam_megathread_20/

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4236658

https://www.ex-muslim.org.uk

I would also recommend that you check out The Masked Arab on youtube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9JU55HpvRvCSb1TO2w_eDA

Thanks

I actually already read your thread at the time and I agreed with everything you said :smile:
Original post by Racoon
After the verse you quote above which is so commonly used, there follows these in which the no compulsion statement contradicts its command to kill non-Muslims if they don't pay the infidel tax, and to massacre:

"Excepted are those with whom you made a treaty among the infidels and then they have not been deficient toward you in anything or supported anyone against you; so complete for them their treaty until their term. Indeed, Allah loves the righteous. And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the infidels wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and pay tribute tax, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." - Quran 9*:4-5

How do you answer that?

No, that is in Chapter 9, not the verse before or after.

This verse was revealed when only the bitterest enemies of Islam remained, Muslims had been persecuted for 13 years and even migrated before fighting back in self defence. And even then, as you have rightly quoted, Muslims should not fight the idolaters who have not tried to persecute Muslims or who have made a treaty with them.

The verse also gives the people who cause violence and disorder 4 months to consider their actions, unfortunately that was not the case. As the title of this chapter (Al- Taubah- Forgiveness ) suggests, the best way is to forgive, and if the people who used to persecute you ask for forgiveness, you should always accept that.
Original post by JMR2017
No, that is in Chapter 9, not the verse before or after.

This verse was revealed when only the bitterest enemies of Islam remained, Muslims had been persecuted for 13 years and even migrated before fighting back in self defence. And even then, as you have rightly quoted, Muslims should not fight the idolaters who have not tried to persecute Muslims or who have made a treaty with them.

The verse also gives the people who cause violence and disorder 4 months to consider their actions, unfortunately that was not the case. As the title of this chapter (Al- Taubah- Forgiveness ) suggests, the best way is to forgive, and if the people who used to persecute you ask for forgiveness, you should always accept that.

I'm afraid you need to check your history.
Original post by wonderuss
You don't need to answer my question but the fact that you refuse to, or should I say, unable to, tells me a lot.

I have realised that you are simply and mindlessly defending a religion you know nothing of, just like the media likes to do.

So, goodbye and have a good evening.

Well, if I say what I really think it will probably (for want of a better expression) p1ss everyone off. That achieves nothing. What am I going to gain?

Why not have a discussion about something that tangible and has some empirical significance?

e.g Why are 10% sheep long term homosexuals?

Discussing about religion are largely subjective? My version of reality is probably different from your version of reality.

Lovely chatting by the way! What's your academic/working background? If you don't mind me asking ...

Have a great evening too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xxxtentacion..
Those terrorists that blow stuff up are not muslims...thats what they seem to label themselves as

How are they not? Because you say so? I suppose when Iran hangs gays from cranes they are also not muslims? Or when indonesia lashes women for adultery are they not muslims then? They are muslims. They are just taking a more literal interpretation of certain quranic verses than you are.

Quick Reply

Latest