The Student Room Group

Skinny shaming

Why do some people feel it's perfectly okay to skinny shame others? Why can't we just focus on our own bodies instead of commenting on other people's?

I have noticed that, over the past year or so, it has become a sort of trend to say things like "skinny b*tches" and shame women that are skinny by saying things like "your promoting an unhealthy image." Why is it okay to comment on skinnier people's bodies in a degrading manner, yet as soon as a skinny person says anything remotely close to fat shaming it's all of a sudden rude and unnecessary? Shouldn't we just not comment on other people's bodies at all? Skinny shaming is just as bad as fat shaming.

What are your thoughts on shinny shaming and have you ever been skinny shamed?
Reply 1
I think it’s ridiculous that people think it’s ok to shame people on their weight full stop. Ok, if they’re obese then obviously they’re unhealthy and need to change their lifestyle choices, but that doesn’t give someone the right to shame them. I’m naturally very skinny and have been the subject of a few comments. I feel like women are more likely to be subject to this kind of judging, and it can seriously affect someone’s self esteem and creates a society that both shames and objectifies people (mostly women). I feel like the people who call women ‘’skinny *****es’’ are just jealous and insecure about themselves due to a society that favours the slimmer woman.
The 'wow, do you ever eat?' comment is the most retarded. Imagine a skinny girl asking the fat girl 'wow, how much did you eat?'. Body shaming is bad, regardless of your size. People assume it is ok to comment about skinny women because they see it as something positive but at the same time it is not preferred to be skinny in some countries.
Skinny shaming is ridiculous, not only is it offensive, it can be really damaging to those who have eating disorders. I think people should stop commenting on other people's bodies unless it's something positive.
I can’t relate to people who are skinny-shamed, since I’m not very skinny, but this is absolutely true. Preach, my sister.
Reply 5
Original post by Kat712
Why do some people feel it's perfectly okay to skinny shame others? Why can't we just focus on our own bodies instead of commenting on other people's?

I have noticed that, over the past year or so, it has become a sort of trend to say things like "skinny b*tches" and shame women that are skinny by saying things like "your promoting an unhealthy image." Why is it okay to comment on skinnier people's bodies in a degrading manner, yet as soon as a skinny person says anything remotely close to fat shaming it's all of a sudden rude and unnecessary? Shouldn't we just not comment on other people's bodies at all? Skinny shaming is just as bad as fat shaming.

What are your thoughts on shinny shaming and have you ever been skinny shamed?

I honestly hate it. I get it a few times , here and there.
It really bothers me like it’s actually not our fault like they say to eat but what if our body just can’t take it, we can’t just force it , it wouldn’t be good. Like skinny girls actually want to gain weight (I do at least) and become what you so call ‘thick’ but it just doesn’t happen.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
Skinny shaming is ridiculous, not only is it offensive, it can be really damaging to those who have eating disorders. I think people should stop commenting on other people's bodies unless it's something positive.

Skinny shaming is ridiculous, not because it is offensive, or because it can be really damaging to those who have eating disorders.

It is ridiculous because skinny people look better and are healthier than fat people, so when a landwhale with no self control (InB4 glandular disorder idc) calls you a skinny *****, it's just funny.

Just tell them that just because nobody cares about them because they're fat, and ergo ugly, and they get no D, doesn't mean you'll play their stupid *****ing games. They're so greased up in envy and self importance, they're trying to convince themselves that being fat isn't the utterly revolting ****-stain-on-the-windscreen it is.

You're not thin because you don't want to make the effort to change. You want to make excuses that won't cushion the blow of self-disgust any more than your walrus-like lard-sack of a body will. GTFO and stop whinging about your *****y life choices.
Reply 7
OMG couldn’t agree more! It’s ridiculous everyone needs to focus on their own minds because clearly body shakers have some issues of their own, they should be focusing on themselves not someone else’s body.
I have been called thunder thighs and fat but I’ve also been called too skinny and been told I need to eat more, like ***** leave me alone it is MY body, no one elses
Reply 8
I think you cant stop people from judging and can't regulate what they say, so either be happy with yourself and grow thicker skin, or change yourself if it bothers you so much.

Its ofc not nice but don't expect someone else to be as nice as you because they don't have to be and they can say whatever they want

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending