The Student Room Group

Need help/suggesting about a PhD

I finished my bachelors in electrical & electronic engineering, followed by a masters in the same degree (in the UK). I submitted my dissertation a month ago and now I am pretty much doing nothing. I also didn't apply for any jobs as I wanted some time off.

Now I am considering to do a PhD, but definitely not in engineering since I am really bored of that field. However I have no background in any other discipline but im considering a phd in some easy (at least easier than engineering) field where I can still tackle without any background. What could you suggest me in this situation?
Original post by meyra31
I finished my bachelors in electrical & electronic engineering, followed by a masters in the same degree (in the UK). I submitted my dissertation a month ago and now I am pretty much doing nothing. I also didn't apply for any jobs as I wanted some time off.

Now I am considering to do a PhD, but definitely not in engineering since I am really bored of that field. However I have no background in any other discipline but im considering a phd in some easy (at least easier than engineering) field where I can still tackle without any background. What could you suggest me in this situation?

How different are you talking? Is it a STEM field?
Reply 2
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
How different are you talking? Is it a STEM field?

Any field really. Just something which is definitely easier than engineering (science) but where I will still succeed even without any background knowledge.
Original post by meyra31
Any field really. Just something which is definitely easier than engineering (science) but where I will still succeed even without any background knowledge.

Do you know what a PhD actually involves and what is your reason for pursuing a PhD? To gain funding for a PhD, or even to get onto a PhD program, you would be expected to have background knowledge in the broad or specific subject you are undertaking research on for 3-4 years. To undertake a PhD you need passion and enthusiasm for the research topic and also, as mentioned earlier, knowledge gained through undergraduate and usually postgraduate studies.

ps there is no 'easy' PhD field.
(edited 6 years ago)
You want to do a PhD in something you've currently got no knowledge of? No chance.

Get a job, travel, study some more, do something. But make sure your expectations are realistic.
Original post by meyra31

You have no idea what kind of work goes into a PhD or even getting a place on a PhD programme.

You either need to give up on this idea now, or do some serious research and radically reconfigure your expectations.

Having a STEM degree doesn't make you into some kind of academic polymath.
Reply 6
Thanks for comments. Of course I am aware of what kind of work is required for a PhD and I also know that it requires great determination and mentality. I also knew that it would be more possible to do one in more related fields (same as my bachelor/master field) but I was still curious to hear some strong decisive comments.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok, so now that you've heard our comments what do you think you'll do next?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending