Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am currently in my first year of College and doing my A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Computing) and I hope to study dentistry at university. I have read multiple posts from dentists on here saying that the job is no longer worth it - the pay is bad and there are job shortages all over the country.

Do you think that I should change my A-levels and go down a different route now? Or is dentistry still a rewarding career? Note: I'm not just going into Dentistry for money, however I would still like something to look forward to after 5 years in University and multiple loans to pay off at the end of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I am going into dentistry aswell. I am currently in Yr11 doing my Gcses and I have already chosen Biology, Chesmistry and mathematics for A levels.I got into dentistry because it is a very demanded job, for proof when we call for a dentist appoinent we get one after like 4 months, in comparison to other careers such as optician and doctors.

ReputationRep:
    There aren't many job shortages - places for university admission is regulated by the GDC and heavy fines are levied on those institutions going over their assigned quota etc.
    There's some great articles freely available on the British Dental Journal which discuss 'Why Dentistry' etc. Reason I am referring you to them is because they are written by experienced dentists. I'm a dental student but loving it for sure.. wouldn't change my mind in a million years!
    But make sure it's the right reasons - a lot of students pick it for the wrong ones I feel!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends heavily on whether you feel enthusiastic about being a dentist. It seems quite an academically, physically and mentally demanding career path and also quite claustrophobic. I think prospects and salary potential are fine. If you're questioning it now another route might be better.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.