Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a course requires biology and another science a-level at uni. Is maths counted in this or would it have to be physics or chemistry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Today I learned maths can count as a science subject

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is contact the admissions tutor for a specific uni. From my own experience, maths tends be counted as a second science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmiassa)
    Please tell me you're trolling.

Maths is not a bloody science maths is maths.
    I think you’ll find many unis count mathematics as a second science when they request a 2 sciences to be taken to a level (check with the university though because some may not count it.) So get your facts straight before you post 😂

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me you're trolling.

Maths is not a bloody science maths is maths.
    . I’m talking about requirements to enter a course e.g. medicine requires chem and one other science a-level, a certain unis maths is counted at as another science - I wanted to know which ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjam441)
    The best thing to do is contact the admissions tutor for a specific uni. From my own experience, maths tends be counted as a second science.
    Will do, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    I think you’ll find many unis count mathematics as a second science when they request a 2 sciences to be taken to a level (check with the university though because some may not count it.) So get your facts straight before you post 😂
    Thank you! I knew I hadn’t dreamt that maths counted as a science lmao 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beekydog)
    . I’m talking about requirements to enter a course e.g. medicine requires chem and one other science a-level, a certain unis maths is counted at as another science - I wanted to know which ones
    My bad I thought you were asking if maths was a 'pure' science.

Today I learned maths can be counted as a science

ReputationRep:
    My bad I thought you were asking if maths was a science.

Today I learned maths can be counted as a science when applying to uni
    Its fine, I should’ve been more clear 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    Its fine, I should’ve been more clear <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:27.083333333333336% 2.0833333333333335%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f44d-1f3fb"></span></span>
    Spoiler:
    Show

In hindsight you were very clear I just made assumptions because I skim read it sorry!!!

I think your best bet would be to email or ring them just in case. I know some universities count geography and psychology as a science but some don't so it depends.

So I'm guessing the same thing would apply for maths.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether the uni has said "science" or "lab-based science". Best to check with them though.

ReputationRep:
    I think your best bet would be to email or ring them just in case. I know some universities count geography and psychology as a science but some don't so it depends.

Yeah, I think I will do. Thanks, I didn’t even consider psychology or geography
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If a course requires biology and another science a-level at uni. Is maths counted in this or would it have to be physics or chemistry.
    They will generally define what they count as a science A-Level but I don't think I've ever seen a case where they haven't accepted Maths as a science.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of uni courses consider Maths as a "science" subject when applying with A-levels.

If talking more generally, then the "STEM" phrase defines science and maths as separate. Which they are, but i'd say both of them have a pretty close relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.