Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have a caution, will I be able practice law? Watch

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by J-SP)
    But that's never the advice they provide in person - and that is where the inconsistencies lie.
    Your answers are a bit crazy.

In the OPs position does he have to disclose the caution? Based on the handbook it says no. because its filtered as a protected caution. I cant see how that would come back to haunt you? As suggested I could always confirm with the SRA, but even in the event I hadnt, then I think its clear enough to form a good defence. Its their rulebook.

In your scenario you are claiming they will give you a different answer to the rules. In the case where they say you have to disclose it, when the law says you do not have to, then its quite easy to challenge them or seek further clarification on the issue as to why they believe the law or rule doesnt apply to them. They can also provide an explanation as to why its contrary to their own rules.

Where that answer is unsatisfactory, then its worthwhile to chase it up until a satisfactory one is provided. Cant say ive ever had the problem with organisations in the same way you have.

He doesnt have to disclose it and if he decided he didnt wish to, then hes perfectly entitled not to, unless they provide an explanation as to why the rules dont apply to this situation..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Your answers are a bit crazy.

In the OPs position does he have to disclose the caution? Based on the handbook it says no. because its filtered as a protected caution. I cant see how that would come back to haunt you? As suggested I could always confirm with the SRA, but even in the event I hadnt, then I think its clear enough to form a good defence. Its their rulebook.

In your scenario you are claiming they will give you a different answer to the rules. In the case where they say you have to disclose it, when the law says you do not have to, then its quite easy to challenge them or seek further clarification on the issue as to why they believe the law or rule doesnt apply to them. They can also provide an explanation as to why its contrary to their own rules.

Where that answer is unsatisfactory, then its worthwhile to chase it up until a satisfactory one is provided. Cant say ive ever had the problem with organisations in the same way you have.

He doesnt have to disclose it and if he decided he didnt wish to, then hes perfectly entitled not to, unless they provide an explanation as to why the rules dont apply to this situation..
    It's not crazy - it's just my own experience. But needless to say that trying to work with the SRA is generally crazy on any level.

You speak to them about these matters and their advice completely contravenes what their rule book says. I agree someone could go "here's what you say in the rule book" but if you are getting advice from them in person that contravenes the handbook it is unhelpful and confusing. I know someone whose recent contact with the SRA suggested the suitability test decision didn't lie with them but actually the firm they would have a training contract with.

I'm only talking about the SRA. I've never had to work with other organisation on this matter.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.