Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

W. A. Mozart's Study Blog: Composer with composure Watch

ReputationRep:

W.A. Mozart's Study Blog: Composer with composure

Synopsis

So as a bit of context, I am currently a private student (self-teaching etc.) and I am essentially 'retaking' Year 13 after things went a bit awry earlier this year. I didn't actually sit the exams, but instead I decided to postpone them for a year. I will be applying to study Physics/Theoretical Physics in September, and with any luck I will get some offers!

As the title suggests, this is a little bit of a blog where I will hopefully motivate myself to study in the run-up to my exams in June. I also plan to use it to keep myself organised so that I don't get lost along the way.

This thread will be especially important for me as I try to juggle having a full-time job, studying three A Levels, having fun, getting enough sleep, and also keeping my health in check. I hope you will join me on my (potentially wild) journey!

Exams I shall be sitting:
    • A Level Physics (P1, P2, P3+Turning Points module)
    • A2 Mathematics (C3, C4, M1)
    • AS+A2 Further Mathematics (FP1, FP2, M2, S1, S2, D1, D2)

Universities I have applied to:
    • Durham
    • Warwick
    • Bristol
    • UCL
    • KCL

Thank you for reading, and let's get started.

(Sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the appropriate place).

ReputationRep:

Update I

To kick things off, I am just going to go over what I have achieved so far, since I almost did complete Year 13 last year.

Where I left off

Physics:

I did learn 80% of the content and knew it pretty well, I just had to learn the Turning Points module which was relatively brief in comparison to the two years worth of content I have to know for the main exams. But... and a rather big but... this was almost 10 months ago and therefore I am going to be very rusty.

It seems evident that I'm going to have to pretty much relearn the content again as I can't be sure of how much I retained in my 9/10 months absence.

Mathematics:

I know all of the content well, and I revised it all a week or so ago to ensure that I still had the hang of it. Now all I need to do for Maths is a little bit of revision along the way along with some tough solomon papers and then practice exam papers.

Further Mathematics:

I picked this subject up completely fresh this time around and therefore I have no previous experience with it. Saying that, I am roughly 60% through learning FP1 after a couple of weeks so I'm not doing too bad. I do need to pick up the pace though as I still have 5 more entire modules to learn.

Aims (commencing 4th October 2017-8th October 2017)

• Finish learning FP1 from the textbook.

Not much for the first few days, but that's because I haven't produced a schedule yet. Next week I will have a full schedule and then it will be clear how long I have to study each day and what I can achieve in that time.

Thanks for reading, I shall be back with an update on Sunday!

ReputationRep:

Update II

These few days haven't been as productive as I'd hoped. I did plan to get a lot of work done today but I've been very unwell and therefore studying wasn't really in mind. I did manage to get some stuff done though between Wednesday and today.

Revision of aims (commencing 4th October 2017-8th October 2017)

• Finish learning FP1 from the textbook.

Aims (commencing 9th October 2017-11th October 2017)

• Revise M1 material.
    • Revise the trickier chapters of FP1.
    • Complete practice questions on some FP1 content.

Thank you for reading, see you on Wednesday!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W. A. Mozart)

Synopsis

So as a bit of context, I am currently a private student (self-teaching etc.) and I am essentially 'retaking' Year 13 after things went a bit awry earlier this year. I didn't actually sit the exams, but instead I decided to postpone them for a year. I will be applying to study Physics/Theoretical Physics in September, and with any luck I will get some offers!

As the title suggests, this is a little bit of a blog where I will hopefully motivate myself to study in the run-up to my exams in June. I also plan to use it to keep myself organised so that I don't get lost along the way.

This thread will be especially important for me as I try to juggle having a full-time job, studying three A Levels, having fun, getting enough sleep, and also keeping my health in check. I hope you will join me on my (potentially wild) journey!

• TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC

(Sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it to the appropriate place).
    Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:

Update III

I dropped the ball again. I somehow didn't manage to get any studying done the past few days, which doesn't make any sense in my mind. I seem to have lost track of time altogether as I don't even remember what I did yesterday and the day before.

As for today, I was planning to finish my M1 revision but I've been too tired so I had to nap. I have work later for the rest of today so I can't do anything now either.

Revision of aims (commencing 9th October 2017-11th October 2017)
    • Revise M1 material.

Aims (commencing 12th October 2017-15th October 2017)
    • Revise M1 material.

I'm just going to repeat the same ones since I failed them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Update III

I dropped the ball again. I somehow didn't manage to get any studying done the past few days, which doesn't make any sense in my mind. I seem to have lost track of time altogether as I don't even remember what I did yesterday and the day before.

As for today, I was planning to finish my M1 revision but I've been too tired so I had to nap. I have work later for the rest of today so I can't do anything now either.

Revision of aims (commencing 9th October 2017-11th October 2017)
    • Revise M1 material.

Aims (commencing 12th October 2017-15th October 2017)
    • Revise M1 material.

I'm just going to repeat the same ones since I failed them.
    Try harder to be productive. I get what you mean though, I've lost track with the last couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! Nice to see that you're speeding through A-level fm. I'm assuming that you enjoy maths from the fact that you want to read physics, so at least that'll help you motivation-wise! (if you like pure maths, you'll definitely enjoy fp2)

ReputationRep:

Update IV

I am really not sure what happened the past few days. I was at work a lot, yet I had the entire day off yesterday and I don't even know what I did. It's the fact that I genuinely don't remember what I was up to and where my time went for me to not get so much work done.

A large portion of my day today has been spent napping, and then some revising too. I have slept for like 16 hours today yet it's never enough, idk what's wrong but it's becoming a problem as I can't stop myself from sleeping and therefore I can't study.

Revision of aims (commencing 12th October 2017-15th October 2017)
    • Revise M1 material.

I did manage to finish revision of M1. Though in doing so I realised that I have a couple of problem areas which I definitely need to work on, so I need to somehow find time to do that...

The second bullet point is in yellow as I haven't completed it but I plan to do some of it tonight.

I just didn't have time for the third one with my constant tiredness and work.

Aims (commencing 16th October 2017-18th October 2017)
    • Complete practice questions on some FP1 content
    • Solidify all of M1
    • Solidify FP1
    • Quickly go through C3 and C4 again in preparation for FP2

I really do not have the time to be stalling like this, so I need to get these 2 modules done with by Wednesday. I have two full days of work and then two job interviews on my day off for these 3 days, so I really don't know how I'm going to fit it in. I will have to find a way to, though.

ReputationRep:

Synopsis

• TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC
    • TBC

you can do this!

you come across as an intelligent person, I wish you so much luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carmen.xx)
    you can do this!

you come across as an intelligent person, I wish you so much luck
    Thank you sooooo much :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sooooo much :hugs:
    you're welcome :hugs:

I'm following your blog thread now, hope to see you progress

ReputationRep:

Update V

I lost track of time again. I kept on thinking that today was Tuesday and that tomorrow is Wednesday somehow, so yeah...

I am going to be more active with studying soon as I have requested a reduction in hours at work to give me more 'free time', which I'm really looking forward to.

All of the revision since Monday has been done today, I think. I don't remember doing any on Monday or Tuesday but that isn't saying much as I don't remember anything anymore.

Revision of aims (commencing 16th October 2017-18th October 2017)
    • Solidify all of M1
    • Solidify FP1

So yep, I'm proud of myself for managing to achieve this in one day. I purposely didn't complete the fourth bullet point because I don't know when I will start FP2.

I was struggling a lot with the projectiles chapter of M1, but after watching a couple of YouTube videos I really get it well, I answered practice exam questions with ease.

Aims (commencing 19th October 2017-22th October 2017)
    • Start to learn S1
    • Flick through FP1 to keep it fresh in my mind
    • Flick through M1 to keep it fresh in my mind
    • Flick through C3+C4, answer toughest questions in the textbooks

It doesn't seem like an awful lot, but I'm very busy at work for the rest of this week so I'm low on time.

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed. My work ethic is picking up and I'm really enjoying the revision I'm doing. It's very wholesome when something finally clicks in your head.

Catch you on Sunday!

ReputationRep:

Update V

I lost track of time again. I kept on thinking that today was Tuesday and that tomorrow is Wednesday somehow, so yeah...

I am going to be more active with studying soon as I have requested a reduction in hours at work to give me more 'free time', which I'm really looking forward to.

All of the revision since Monday has been done today, I think. I don't remember doing any on Monday or Tuesday but that isn't saying much as I don't remember anything anymore.

Revision of aims (commencing 16th October 2017-18th October 2017)
    • Solidify all of M1
    • Solidify FP1

So yep, I'm proud of myself for managing to achieve this in one day. I purposely didn't complete the fourth bullet point because I don't know when I will start FP2.

I was struggling a lot with the projectiles chapter of M1, but after watching a couple of YouTube videos I really get it well, I answered practice exam questions with ease.

Aims (commencing 19th October 2017-22th October 2017)
    • Start to learn S1

It doesn't seem like an awful lot, but I'm very busy at work for the rest of this week so I'm low on time.

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed. My work ethic is picking up and I'm really enjoying the revision I'm doing. It's very wholesome when something finally clicks in your head.

Catch you on Sunday!
    :hugs: Good luck! Will be following.

ReputationRep:
    Update VI

It's been a busy few days...

I've been at work a lot, including two night shifts, so my energy levels have been low and I've been sleeping for large amounts of the day.

I also haven't been feeling too good lately - a bit off. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

I am still waiting for my change in work hours to be approved, so that the week after the week starting tomorrow (lol) I will be working much less, and hopefully studying much more.

Revision of aims (commencing 19th October 2017-22nd October 2017)

• Start to learn S1

I managed to do it. I'm very content with my understanding of M1 and FP1, and also C3 and C4 is cemented in my head, so there's nothing more for me to do with them for now.

I technically haven't started S1, but I am about to do it right after I post this (and drink my cup of tea). I have no idea what to expect or how much I will get done, but I guess we will soon find out.

Aims (commencing 23rd October 2017-25th October 2017)
    • Make good progress with S1

That's it really. If I sail through S1 then it means I just have FP2, D2, M2 and S2 left. I'm guessing here that I will need more time to learn the _2 units, who knows?

I have been quite vague with the aim as like I said I don't know how much content there is to S1, and I'm also busy with work again so I don't expect much study time over this period.

I'll be back again on Wednesday!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Update VI

It's been a busy few days...

I've been at work a lot, including two night shifts, so my energy levels have been low and I've been sleeping for large amounts of the day.

I also haven't been feeling too good lately - a bit off. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

I am still waiting for my change in work hours to be approved, so that the week after the week starting tomorrow (lol) I will be working much less, and hopefully studying much more.

Revision of aims (commencing 19th October 2017-22nd October 2017)

• Start to learn S1

I managed to do it. I'm very content with my understanding of M1 and FP1, and also C3 and C4 is cemented in my head, so there's nothing more for me to do with them for now.

I technically haven't started S1, but I am about to do it right after I post this (and drink my cup of tea). I have no idea what to expect or how much I will get done, but I guess we will soon find out.

Aims (commencing 23rd October 2017-25th October 2017)
    • Make good progress with S1

That's it really. If I sail through S1 then it means I just have FP2, D2, M2 and S2 left. I'm guessing here that I will need more time to learn the _2 units, who knows?

I have been quite vague with the aim as like I said I don't know how much content there is to S1, and I'm also busy with work again so I don't expect much study time over this period.

I'll be back again on Wednesday!
    Good effort. Have you applied for Physics or Theoretical Physics at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Good effort. Have you applied for Physics or Theoretical Physics at UCL?

Just plain Physics. I can't remember why I didn't go for theoretical...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Just plain Physics. I can't remember why I didn't go for theoretical...

Have you already applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)

Have you already applied?
    I’ve put all of the choices and everything into UCAS, I’m just waiting for my reference from my old head of sixth form.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I’ve put all of the choices and everything into UCAS, I’m just waiting for my reference from my old head of sixth form.
    Ohh right, that's good! Your choices are amazing by the way. Do you know which ones you will firm and insure?

Submit reply
Updated: November 15, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.