Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help and advice

My female hamster runkle is approximately 6 months old. When I first got her she was in a wire cage which I noticed she had outgrown and was chewing constantly on the bars.

So, I upgraded her cage to a very large glass tank (well above the recommended square inch). she also has a wodent wheel, large water bottle and lots of chewing toys as well as a digging tower.

At first she seemed to love being in there but after 3 weeks she is maniacally chewing the glass front of the cage trying desperately to get out ALL NIGHT LONG. it's so loud. I haven't had a full nights sleep in a week. (There is nowhere else to put her in my small house as i have a cat).

She is well handled by me everyday and spends a lot of time in her ball venturing around the top floor of my house.

I feel like I can't cope with her any longer.

Does anyone have any advice for me? what am i doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    i think you should maybe get her a cage that is not noisy just put in there when you go to bed then as soon as you get up put her in the glass one

ReputationRep:
    My hamster used to swing on the cage bars at the top and would hold herself up and chew them, it was really loud.. idk how I dealt with it, I guess I just let her do it.

Afterwards I got a new cage, the whole top bit was bars so she didn’t have to climb to chew, but when she found the wheel and pipes she stopped, I also have her a toy to chew.

I just had flash backs of when she’d chew the bars at a crazy speed 😭😭 but just ask at your pet shop and they’ll recommend things to try and products to buy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s1s9s9s5)
    Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help and advice

My female hamster runkle is approximately 6 months old. When I first got her she was in a wire cage which I noticed she had outgrown and was chewing constantly on the bars.

So, I upgraded her cage to a very large glass tank (well above the recommended square inch). she also has a wodent wheel, large water bottle and lots of chewing toys as well as a digging tower.

At first she seemed to love being in there but after 3 weeks she is maniacally chewing the glass front of the cage trying desperately to get out ALL NIGHT LONG. it's so loud. I haven't had a full nights sleep in a week. (There is nowhere else to put her in my small house as i have a cat).

She is well handled by me everyday and spends a lot of time in her ball venturing around the top floor of my house.

I feel like I can't cope with her any longer.

Does anyone have any advice for me? what am i doing wrong?
    Hamsters are rodents. They like to chew things. It's really annoying, but there's not much you can do about it. You have other options for her to chew, but she's chewsing (haha) the glass anyway
    Maybe try getting her some more solid things to chew if she doesn't already (like really dense wood) to see if she just really likes that texture. You could try making sure she has loads of ways to release energy (climbing toys, wheels, loads of bedding to push around etc) in case it's all about her trying to get out energy.
    I guess you could also see if it's safe to get some deterrents like tape (it's a thing you can do with cats, but I would think it could be dangerous for a hamster) or stuff that tastes nasty and put them on the glass (as long as it isn't poisonous to hamsters obviously). That might help encourage her to choose other stuff to chew on.
    You could also try putting things in the way of the glass. You can buy sheets of mesh from places like B&Q which you could stick to the glass. It's not going to stop the chewing, but may sound less nasty.

Only other thing I can think of is are you sure her water bottle works well? My gerbils lick the glass if their bottle gets jammed (which is a lot because they are idiots and bury it in their bedding).

That stuff might help, but honestly I'm not sure you're ever going to stop it. Hamsters are annoying little balls of fluff and teeth and they love to annoy people.

Does the cage have plenty of ventilation (like a mesh lid) btw? If not, sort something out. Totally unrelated, but I just know a lot of glass tanks are designed for fish so may not have enough ventilation. I had to make my own lid for my gerbils because I used an old fish tank for their housing.

Oh also, is her wheel one of those metal ones? I've heard some scare stories about them so my gublies have a wooden one which is actually super quiet. Just thought I'd mention that.

Hope that helps :lazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hamsters are rodents. They like to chew things. It's really annoying, but there's not much you can do about it. You have other options for her to chew, but she's chewsing (haha) the glass anyway
    Maybe try getting her some more solid things to chew if she doesn't already (like really dense wood) to see if she just really likes that texture. You could try making sure she has loads of ways to release energy (climbing toys, wheels, loads of bedding to push around etc) in case it's all about her trying to get out energy.
    I guess you could also see if it's safe to get some deterrents like tape (it's a thing you can do with cats, but I would think it could be dangerous for a hamster) or stuff that tastes nasty and put them on the glass (as long as it isn't poisonous to hamsters obviously). That might help encourage her to choose other stuff to chew on.
    You could also try putting things in the way of the glass. You can buy sheets of mesh from places like B&Q which you could stick to the glass. It's not going to stop the chewing, but may sound less nasty.

Only other thing I can think of is are you sure her water bottle works well? My gerbils lick the glass if their bottle gets jammed (which is a lot because they are idiots and bury it in their bedding).

That stuff might help, but honestly I'm not sure you're ever going to stop it. Hamsters are annoying little balls of fluff and teeth and they love to annoy people.

Does the cage have plenty of ventilation (like a mesh lid) btw? If not, sort something out. Totally unrelated, but I just know a lot of glass tanks are designed for fish so may not have enough ventilation. I had to make my own lid for my gerbils because I used an old fish tank for their housing.

Oh also, is her wheel one of those metal ones? I've heard some scare stories about them so my gublies have a wooden one which is actually super quiet. Just thought I'd mention that.

Hope that helps :lazy:
    Hi thanks so much for taking the time to write that! The back wall of the tank is made of wood which has 3 large vents in so all good in that department. Her wheel is the Wodent wheel which is a huge plastic one, meant to be silent but isn’t really - the noise is nothing compared to the chewing haha 😂 I feel as though I’ve tried everything now, she has loads of chewable toys but the only part of the glass she chews is the bit where it opens so I think she’s clearly trying to escape which is sad Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.