Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I already know that this is highly unlikely, but I was wondering if there's ANY WAY I can get an offer from Cambridge without getting interviewed? I live overseas, and there aren't any interviews being conducted in my country, and so I'm assuming I'd have to travel to the UK. But is that mandatory? I don't mind the traveling, I'm just an awfully awkward + anxious person and I would dread an interview and probably mess it up.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you have to be interviewed and the main purpose of the interview is to find out if you are really passionate about you subject, Cambridge professors can easily sniff you out if you do not have a real passion about your subject. Sure you can get A*s at A levels and GCSE but if you don't give two ****s about your subject then you aren't getting in anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Nope, you have to be interviewed and the main purpose of the interview is to find out if you are really passionate about you subject, Cambridge professors can easily sniff you out if you do not have a real passion about your subject. Sure you can get A*s at A levels and GCSE but if you don't give two ****s about your subject then you aren't getting in anytime soon.
    That may be one of the purpose of interview, but I don’t think it’s the main one......
    They mostly want to see how you think/how your brain works and if you’re suited to their unique style of teaching = supervisions. Their interview is academic. Not like job interviews at all where your passion for the position can win over your prospective employer...

Also in case of international applicants, meeting them in person at interview is the best way for them to check if their English ability is sufficient to study at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jvinmurrey)
    Okay, I already know that this is highly unlikely, but I was wondering if there's ANY WAY I can get an offer from Cambridge without getting interviewed? I live overseas, and there aren't any interviews being conducted in my country, and so I'm assuming I'd have to travel to the UK. But is that mandatory? I don't mind the traveling, I'm just an awfully awkward + anxious person and I would dread an interview and probably mess it up.
    No applicant will get an offer without interview. (See my post above)

But no need to worry about being interviewed either.
    They know very well some people are naturally very shy and you can get nervous at interview even if you’re not a nervous person normally.

My daughter’s interview went horribly because of her nerve, but she could get offer.
    One of her friends at college is extremely shy person who can’t say more than a few words even to her closest friends. She got offer, no problem.
    Another friend of her is a typical socially-awkward geek on STEM course. You’ll see many of them walking around in departments and colleges of Cambridge. They came through their interview alright.

They’re very used to deal with shy/nervous/socially awkward people, so that’s not something you should be concerned about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.