Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DEBATE: Is Dyslexia a disability? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a question that came to mind this morning. Were there dyslexic people before man could read and write?

If so, how?
    If not, how did we evolve into some people being dyslexic?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minertommy)
    I have a question that came to mind this morning. Were there dyslexic people before man could read and write?

If so, how?
    Mind. Blown. :eek:

I don't know.:beard:

A psychology person might.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Can a learning difficulty not be a disability too? Or are they mutually exclusive?
    I would say no. In the say way that needing glasses doesn't make you blind. Sure we should help them and with the right help they'd be fine. Both my brothers are proof of this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    I would say no. In the say way that needing glasses doesn't make you blind. Sure we should help them and with the right help they'd be fine. Both my brothers are proof of this.
    Both are visually impaired. The world exists without definite or absolute terms today.

ReputationRep:
    Both are visually impaired. The world exists without definite or absolute terms today.
    Which is why I wouldn't class dyslexia as a disbility.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

If so, how?
    They were probably just ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    They were probably just ignored.
    that doesn't really answer my question
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    that doesn't really answer my question
    Well, yes it does. They probably did exist but were ignored. Is that better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Well, yes it does. They probably did exist but were ignored. Is that better?
    yes that is better, but the thing is. How did humans develop dyslexia?

ReputationRep:
    As part of Dyslexia Awareness Week 2017, we've got a number of threads running on some of the themes of dyslexia. #PositiveDyslexia2017

So with that in mind, we decided to have a little debate:

Is Dyslexia a Disability?

Discuss.:holmes:
    I think it should be classed as a disability! My nephew has dyslexia and my sister fought for years when he was in primary school to get him tested and wrote to every person she could to try and get SEN support the last 6 months of primary they allocated a one to one support worker! It was to late.. he went to comprehensive unable to read fluently embarrassed he started acting out. Exclusion after exclusion my sister was at her wits end they don't offer SEN at the comp they allocate key workers he is now 15 (he races professional MX) he is coached by former world champ @MarkJonesMX who also suffered as a child without support for dislexia. They are now campaigning in wales to get help for children. If my nephew had a facial disability or was in a wheel chair he would of had all the support from his first day in school. I feel more should be done as I have seen how much hurt my nephew went through feeling very isolated at times I am so proud of how he has without support from education turned his self into a fine young man
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Middy8)
    I think it should be classed as a disability! My nephew has dyslexia and my sister fought for years when he was in primary school to get him tested and wrote to every person she could to try and get SEN support the last 6 months of primary they allocated a one to one support worker! It was to late.. he went to comprehensive unable to read fluently embarrassed he started acting out. Exclusion after exclusion my sister was at her wits end they don't offer SEN at the comp they allocate key workers he is now 15 (he races professional MX) he is coached by former world champ @MarkJonesMX who also suffered as a child without support for dislexia. They are now campaigning in wales to get help for children. If my nephew had a facial disability or was in a wheel chair he would of had all the support from his first day in school. I feel more should be done as I have seen how much hurt my nephew went through feeling very isolated at times I am so proud of how he has without support from education turned his self into a fine young man
    Another incredible story.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.