Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So as title states I am applying for 2018 entry medicine. I feel like I'm quite a risky candidate - only 3 AS-Levels AAB, predicted A*AA. I got quite a low score for my UKCAT also, 2530. I know I'm taking a risk but medicine is the only career I feel most suitable for.

Anyway thread is mostly to share thoughts on the interview process, any tips to prepare and possible questions asked. Also any material that should definitely be known beforehand, eg. some knowledge on ethics is essential I think! And anyone who is applying to Cambridge or Oxford for medicine, I worked alongside a doctor for 4 weeks during the summer and graduated from Cambridge and gave me an exhaustive list of past interview questions that they have asked as she does interviews for medicine now too!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not risky.

Your UKCAT isn't super high, but the score you achieved doesn't rule you out for medicine. Just apply to unis with low UKCAT requirements (Medic Portal made a decent list).

I had a friend with the same academic grades as you for AS and predicted 3As for A-levels. She got an offer from both Leicester and Nottingham.

Also, have you considered applying to medical schools that take into consideration GCSE performance?

ReputationRep:
    What time tomorrow does the UKCAT final averages come out?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanspam)
    Definitely not risky.

Your UKCAT isn't super high, but the score you achieved doesn't rule you out for medicine. Just apply to unis with low UKCAT requirements (Medic Portal made a decent list).

I had a friend with the same academic grades as you for AS and predicted 3As for A-levels. She got an offer from both Leicester and Nottingham.

Also, have you considered applying to medical schools that take into consideration GCSE performance?
    I haven't checked a list of universities which actually look into GCSE grades! My choices are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. I feel like they all take UKCAT into consideration a lot though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MezmorisedPotato)
    What time tomorrow does the UKCAT final averages come out?
    Thanks
    I'm not sure actually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabrielealek)
    I haven't checked a list of universities which actually look into GCSE grades! My choices are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Dundee. I feel like they all take UKCAT into consideration a lot though..
    I don't know about the other 3 that well, but I heard that Edinburugh has a verryyy high UKCAT requirement for its applicants.

Why all Scottish unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanspam)
    I don't know about the other 3 that well, but I heard that Edinburugh has a verryyy high UKCAT requirement for its applicants.

Why all Scottish unis?
    I simply like Scotland! And the universities are perfect for me, especially their medicial degrees, way of teaching etc. Also being an non-uk EU, I may get my fees paid for so thats a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabrielealek)
    I simply like Scotland! And the universities are perfect for me, especially their medicial degrees, way of teaching etc. Also being an non-uk EU, I may get my fees paid for so thats a bonus.
    True. They are all amazing unis!

Best of luck with your application

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.