Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rolls Royce higher apprenticeship or uni of bristol? (project management) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently in my first few weeks of my Rolls Royce higher apprenticeship, I am enjoying it however I am greatly envious of my friends being at uni and being able to do what they want (essentially). I am unable to decide whether to stay here or leave to do a degree at either the uni of Bristol or Liverpool and therefore whether uni is what its hyped up to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teaguei)
    Hello, I am currently in my first few weeks of my Rolls Royce higher apprenticeship, I am enjoying it however I am greatly envious of my friends being at uni and being able to do what they want (essentially). I am unable to decide whether to stay here or leave to do a degree at either the uni of Bristol or Liverpool and therefore whether uni is what its hyped up to be.
    Why would you go to university? I don't mean like "pfft, why go to uni" I mean what are your reasons for going?

To better your career prospects? Or to be young and party?

I'm biased, I think apprenticeships are the way forward, you're being paid to study, with a fairly secure job at the end.

If you just want to go party, then it may not be too late, if the idea is to get a decent job, I'd say you're in the right place already.

ReputationRep:
    You could always finish your apprenticeship and work for a year or two. Then, go to university.

Don’t follow what everyone else is doing. Do what you feel is right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    You could always finish your apprenticeship and work for a year or two. Then, go to university.

Don’t follow what everyone else is doing. Do what you feel is right.
    4 year apprenticeship + 1 or 2 years, then leave a £30-40k a year job to go back to uni because you missed the party, when you've already got a degree?

Doesn't seem particularly viable, does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    4 year apprenticeship + 1 or 2 years, then leave a £30-40k a year job to go back to uni because you missed the party, when you've already got a degree?

Doesn't seem particularly viable, does it?
    Depends on the salary really. If you earn that much without a degree, why go to university?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    Depends on the salary really. If you earn that much without a degree, why go to university?
    That's kind of my point...

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to complete my apprenticeship and then seek a masters elsewhere afterwards; which will also enable me to take a gap year (of soughts) prior to full employment. I would be going to party to be honest, but I do realise partying isn't worth £50k

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.