The Student Room Group

politics

I have to produce an essay on 'how plausible do you think it is to talk of a crisis of political participation'. Alternatively it is more appropriate to talk about a change in the way that people participate in politics. Can you help me on this.
Original post by abdulk1
I have to produce an essay on 'how plausible do you think it is to talk of a crisis of political participation'. Alternatively it is more appropriate to talk about a change in the way that people participate in politics. Can you help me on this.

I've just moved this to the government and politics section as you will have a better chance of getting help here :h: what exactly are you wanting help with? What sort of things to include? Structure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Ye for your points on political participation declining you could use general election results, such as the result from 2001 (59.4%) and a result that shows where it has been higher such as 1955 (76.8%) which demonstrates over time it has lowered thus making the government less legitimate as in 2001, 40% of the country wouldn't have even had a say on who's in government and this overall affects their power/mandate. To counter this you could use things such as the Scottish referendum which had a 84.59% turnout, the largest since total universal suffrage was introduced in the UK. Or use a more recent GE like the 2015 election where the turnout was 66.1%, which although isn't great still shows improvement since 2001.

You can also write about the use of e-petitions, pressure groups and party membership too as alternate involvement, which shows there isn't complete crisis. But you could counteract this with that e-petitions may not get talked about in parliament unless decided on by the Back Bench Committee, that pressure groups can be limited if they're not an insider group and there are stats to support party membership declining over time. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies
I've just moved this to the government and politics section as you will have a better chance of getting help here :h: what exactly are you wanting help with? What sort of things to include? Structure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The structure and form
Right, I did Govt Pol last year and got an A, now studying Pol IR at Uni.

What board are you with, and how many marks is the question?

@abdulk1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending