Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Apologies if this topic has already been covered and thank you in advance for any help

Basically, Ive applied for quite a few NHS jobs without getting shortlisted for an interview.

Previously I clumped together points from the personal spec, in no particular order, and gave examples. The supporting info was about 500 words or so.

But now I address each point in the ‘essential’ and ‘desirable’ criteria in order and mirror their wording, making the supporting info about1200 words long. I also include a brief paragraph about why I want the work for the NHS etc at the beginning.

Can anyone please help me make my application better, so I at least get an interview.

Some questions I have about supporting info
    1. Are the structure and length appropriate?
    2. Can I use bullet points?
    3. Do I HAVE to give examples for each point? Even things like ‘Understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity’.
    4. Should I focus more on why I want to work for the NHS? Or is a short paragraph ok?

I usually apply for grade 5 management roles in NHS England.
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I currently work in the NHS and I'm a band 5 non clinical, non management staff member but I can tell you from my experience you're highly unlikely to jump in at this level we recently advertised for a band 3 job and had 200 applicants pretty much all of them had a degree. If I was you I'd reassess the level you're looking to come in at. You can progress really quickly once you've got a foot in the door I know this is anecdotal but I was a band 2 when I joined in August 2015 and I'm interviewing for a band 6 job tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Billybob,
    Thank you for your reply. I thought about which band to apply for when I started applying. I have a PhD so I thought band 5 was appropriate. But maybe I need to reassess the situation again if im not being successful.

Can I ask how long your supporting information was for the band 6?

How did the job interview go? I hope you got it .

Regards,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.