Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering if I could get feedback on another LNAT essay that I did? I'm just getting a bit anxious because my test is coming up next week Thank you in advance!

“It is right that students should contribute to the cost of their degrees.” Do you agree? [649 WORDS]

The journey to university is often regarded as an arduous but rewarding road. It has indeed sparked several issues, and subsequently ignited community discussion. How do high school graduates pick the “right” degree? Is the shift from secondary to tertiary education perhaps too much? On a more practical level, who should pay the tuition fees? A multitude of questions are brought to the fore about who is ultimate responsible for the cost of degrees. In some countries, such as Australia, there are programs funded by the government whereby students can go to university on a student loan. This loan is repaid only after the student graduates and begins earning a sustainable yearly salary. Concern, however, has arisen from the level of performance at some universities. Perhaps it is time that students stop financially relying wholly on their parents or the government for the attainment of their degrees.

This argument is often presented as somewhat of a psychological link to the concept of accountability. Maybe these students will perform at a higher level if they contributed to the cost of their degrees, allowing them to take responsibility for their education. This notion hinges on the system employed at most universities. That is, students pay for each class undertaken within a program. If a student fails any class, they must retake the class at their own expense. Thus, the student may find motivation to succeed if there is a more direct financial threat at the price of their failure. This threat may otherwise be unknown or overlooked if their funding comes from their parents or the government. Moreover, contributing to the cost of their university studies may allow students to experience a greater sense of accomplishment upon completing their degree. It may even enhance their perception of the value of “hard work”, consequently increasing their appreciation for the newly acquired degree.

The theoretical framework behind the statement seems appealing. Indeed, a world of more motivated, accountable students becoming the citizens of the future is rather enticing. However, the potential emotional or psychological responses from students above are, in my opinion, links drawn in the sand as opposed to etched in stone. Feelings of responsibility and accomplishment are entirely individual. The fact that a student contributes to the cost of their degree does not automatically guarantee a student with an improved work ethic and a decreased chance of taking their education for granted. On the contrary, it may invite feelings of bitterness, resentment or indifference. Students would be forced to find a source of income, most likely a part-time job, to balance with their growing melange of obligations. Some students may thrive with this increase in responsibilities, but we should not ignore that fatigue may also breed lackadaisical students – those who lose the vigour and passion to pursue their degrees because of the added encumbrance to its attainment. A larger workload could even be counterproductive to the aim discussed by those who seem to have introduced the idea. The goal of better performing students with an incentive to work hard may, contrastingly, become a cohort that underperforms due to the weight of their responsibilities. Academic performance may suffer at the expense of working hours.

Additionally, it seems that if the statement was implemented on a practical level, its feasibility is questionable. Realistically, not all students who enter university can acquire part-time work. The workforce is becoming increasingly competitive with fewer jobs available on the market. It is therefore difficult to agree with such a statement due to the complications involved in its theoretical reasoning as well as the practical issues that could be involved. In my opinion, the responsibility of the cost of tertiary education must be decided by the individual. It is the student’s judgment that must be trusted in deciding how best to maximise their university experience by determining in exactly what way they will appreciate and enjoy their degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.