The Student Room Group

Confused about time limit....

Hi all. I've recently got my provisional licence. I have my theory booked for 2 weeks time. Something that's confusing me is that I'm hearing that once you pass your theory, you have 2 years to pass your proper test, and at same time, I'm hearing that once you get your provisional, you have 1 year to pass your test. So, am I right in thinking that the 2 year limit of passing proper test after theory, doesn't matter because you simply need to do it within a year anyway (as this is the limit/deadline that you'll need to pass after getting provisional, or you'll need to reapply for provisional?) Are you understanding what I'm saying and getting at here?!
Reply 1
Original post by Dhsw1978
Hi all. I've recently got my provisional licence. I have my theory booked for 2 weeks time. Something that's confusing me is that I'm hearing that once you pass your theory, you have 2 years to pass your proper test, and at same time, I'm hearing that once you get your provisional, you have 1 year to pass your test. So, am I right in thinking that the 2 year limit of passing proper test after theory, doesn't matter because you simply need to do it within a year anyway (as this is the limit/deadline that you'll need to pass after getting provisional, or you'll need to reapply for provisional?) Are you understanding what I'm saying and getting at here?!

Who told you a provisional licence only lasts a year...? That's a load of BS.

This thread should be in Learning to Drive - tagging @AngryJellyfish to move it.
Your provisional is valid for 10 years and after you pass your theory you have 2 years to pass your practical. If you don't pass your practical within 2 years you have to retake your theory. So effectively you have 10 years to pass both tests.
.....Something that's confusing me is that I'm hearing that once you pass your theory, you have 2 years to pass your proper test

Correct. if you have not passed the practical within two years of the theory test, then you must redo the theory test.

, and at same time, I'm hearing that once you get your provisional, you have 1 year to pass your test.

No. The provisional licence is valid for 10 years after which it must be renewed.

There is no limit to the number of times you can renew it.

The above simply mean your theory test must be retaken every two years if you have not passed the practical within that two year validity period.

After ten years have elapsed and you have not converted to a full licence, you must renew your provisional if you wish to keep learning.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Look on your provisional. It will tell you when it expires
Reply 5
Thank you. That clears up the info I was wrongly told about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending