Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who should replace TM as leader of the Tories? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be Conservative leader in 2018/19?
    Theresa May (or Amber Rudd)
    11.84%
    Boris Johnson
    26.32%
    Other (please state)
    61.84%

ReputationRep:
    Who (if anyone) should replace Theresa May as leader of the Conservative party?

Boris or someone else?

Disclaimer

Ruth Davidson, David Davis and Jacob Rees Mogg are all ineligible/ uninterested in becoming leader. ( I think Ruth would back May as would probably Davis where’s Mogg would back Boris) if you disagree with me put other.

I think May has generally been a disaster. I don’t particularly think Boris is suitable but god help me I think I’d choose him over May. That said ideally I’d like to see a newish (2010 onwards) to step forward with some more radical proposals on house building and cutting immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

Boris or someone else?

Disclaimer

Ruth Davidson, David Davis and Jacob Rees Mogg are all ineligible/ uninterested in becoming leader. ( I think Ruth would back May as would probably Davis where’s Mogg would back Boris) if you disagree with me put other.

I think May has generally been a disaster. I don’t particularly think Boris is suitable but god help me I think I’d choose him over May. That said ideally I’d like to see a newish (2010 onwards) to step forward with some more radical proposals on house building and cutting immigration.
    Theresa May is the most uninspiring fake useless prime minister for a very long time. She should do the country a favour and resign so someone who believes in the changes they talk about and are competent to deliver can take over. Mogg or Davis are the best options, Boris is likable but too obsessed with climbing the greasy pole rather than his principles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    Theresa May is the most uninspiring fake useless prime minister for a very long time.
    How quickly we forget Gordon Brown...

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, the Reese dude is a bit of a... yeah.

May is useless. Johnson is a johnson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    At least he stood for something and didn't U-turn every time it looked like public opinion was against you. By trying to please everyone, she impresses no one and ends up with very few of the changes in their manifesto being implemented.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair to Gordon Brown, he wasn’t fake. He was sincerely awful 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Boris would be a gift to Labour.

As would Mogg.

The only one who would worry me would be Ruth Davidson.

ReputationRep:
    At least he stood for something and didn't U-turn every time it looked like public opinion was against you. By trying to please everyone, she impresses no one and ends up with very few of the changes in their manifesto being implemented.
    None of which stops him from being uninspiring, useless... And at least May won her election, Brown got trounced.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lack of talent in the Tory Party. Now that Jezza's a threat, they realise that they can't just elect someone who's like them but who is actually electable.

JRM, David Davis or Heidi Allen ((****))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Boris would be a gift to Labour.

As would Mogg.

The only one who would worry me would be Ruth Davidson.
    I could see the left doing what the right did to Corbyn to Mogg (media hate campaign) and Mogg winning.

I think Mogg would actually beat Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acidy)
    There's a lack of talent in the Tory Party. Now that Jezza's a threat, they realise that they can't just elect someone who's like them but who is actually electable.

JRM, David Davis or Heidi Allen ((****))
    There a lot of talent in the party just that theyre not in the cabinet for the most part.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    lol none of the front bench ministers, they are yes men/women and agree with May after every belliegerent tirade of "nothing has changed". And no not Anna Soubry either.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

Boris or someone else?

Disclaimer

Nobody. She's staying until the next general election. (hopefully after too)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I could see the left doing what the right did to Corbyn to Mogg (media hate campaign) and Mogg winning.

I think Mogg would actually beat Corbyn.
    I disagree. The reason Corbyn is popular with the young and graduates is that he talks about issues that matter to them, like housing, job security, pay, etc.
    Mogg on the other hand appeals strongly to the older vote with his social conservatism.

Mogg is entertaining, a charmer and a character for sure. But he has virtually nothing to say about the major issues facing the youth.

He would be a gift to Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown might've lacked charm but it was overblown given we just had 10 years of the most charming PM who he undermined… I think he had some charm but it definitely wore off by 2010

But as PM he did a lot of good for country, his policies inspired the country to get back up on its feet, i actually find him inspiring and you'll be suprised plenty of others do. He also had a huge impact on the Scottish referendum.

I think you've forgotten about John Major, the most uninspiring and bland PM ever. Usually after having a charismatic leader you end up with a bore - or at least thats been the trend since Harold Wilson

ReputationRep:
    None of which stops him from being uninspiring, useless... And at least May won her election, Brown got trounced.
    Theresa May didn't technically win.
    And it took a coalition to remove Gordon Brown, this country hadn't seen a coalition since world war 2, it was quite a big thing if you remember… so he didnt completely lose as say John Major did in 1997.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I disagree. The reason Corbyn is popular with the young and graduates is that he talks about issues that matter to them, like housing, job security, pay, etc.
    Mogg on the other hand appeals strongly to the older vote with his social conservatism.

Mogg is entertaining, a charmer and a character for sure. But he has virtually nothing to say about the major issues facing the youth.

He would be a gift to Labour.
    His socially conservative views are a personal thing, not really anything to do with policy. Plus you see how quickly the media storm died down when he was honest and said 'yes, I'm a Catholic and believe in the Catholic teachings' unlike Farron who ignored the question and then lied.

He certainly has something to offer to the working class: lower taxes, controlled immigration, help for businesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zxyn)
    Theresa May didn't technically win.
    And it took a coalition to remove Gordon Brown, this country hadn't seen a coalition since world war 2, it was quite a big thing if you remember… so he didnt completely lose as say John Major did in 1997.
    May was PM after the election.
    Brown wasn't after his.

No matter what kind of semantics you want to bring in, she won hers, he lost his. End of story.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    His socially conservative views are a personal thing, not really anything to do with policy. Plus you see how quickly the media storm died down when he was honest and said 'yes, I'm a Catholic and believe in the Catholic teachings' unlike Farron who ignored the question and then lied.

He certainly has something to offer to the working class: lower taxes, controlled immigration, help for businesses.
    The Conservatives have a massive problem with the youth. Among 18-24 year olds Labour have a lead of over 50%. In fact the age at which more people start voting Tory than Labour isn't until 47.

I can't see what Mogg would do to address that.

ReputationRep:
    May was PM after the election.
    Brown wasn't after his.

No matter what kind of semantics you want to bring in, she won hers, he lost his. End of story.
    I wouldnt call it winning, it's like getting a gold medal in a race only you didnt actually cross the finish line but everyone else just dropped out.

Her party LOST seats and her personal ambitions have been strained, what has she actually gained from calling the election? Nothing, in fact she's LOST more than if she didnt have the election - how do you call that a victory? But i get your point, within the system, she's won and kept her job. Theresa's mistake was calling an election, most say Brown's mistake was not calling one straight away.

Although its pretty impressive to not be outright defeated in an election and to have a coalition takeover, although it seems we're getting used to the idea of coalitions here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.