Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who should replace TM as leader of the Tories? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be Conservative leader in 2018/19?
    Theresa May (or Amber Rudd)
    11.84%
    Boris Johnson
    26.32%
    Other (please state)
    61.84%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The Conservatives have a massive problem with the youth. Among 18-24 year olds Labour have a lead of over 50%. In fact the age at which more people start voting Tory than Labour isn't until 47.

I can't see what Mogg would do to address that.
    Lots of people voted Labour because they ran a campaign to inspire voters and promised free stuff to almost everyone without being challenged on how to pay for it and have already backtracked like on wiping student debt. They said they would solve our problems by borrowing £billions to invest.

Immigration is still the top issue for voters and Labour won't even try to reduce it or guarantee we leave the single market. Also lower taxes and all the benefits of Brexit won't be achieved through Labour. I predicted Corbyn would make gains at the election but next time I predict there will be a Tory majority.

ReputationRep:
    I like how nobody so far has voted May.
    Does anyone think there will be another election in 2018?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NBingham)
    What does that mean?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    Lots of people voted Labour because they ran a campaign to inspire voters and promised free stuff to almost everyone without being challenged on how to pay for it and have already backtracked like on wiping student debt. They said they would solve our problems by borrowing £billions to invest.

Immigration is still the top issue for voters and Labour won't even try to reduce it or guarantee we leave the single market. Also lower taxes and all the benefits of Brexit won't be achieved through Labour. I predicted Corbyn would make gains at the election but next time I predict there will be a Tory majority.
    There is little sign that those who voted for Labour in 2017 regret it. Nor was it simply a case of people voting Labour because 'they promised free stuff'. They haven't backtracked on wiping out student debt, that wasn't the promise. The promise was to abolish tuition fees and that remains party policy.

Immigration isn't the top issue for voters, certainly not young voters. The Tories are less popular than Labour in every age group until you get to 47. That's astonishing.

The Tories have a huge problem with the youth and that will be their downfall.

ReputationRep:
    What does that mean?
    It means that nobody would want her to the PM next year

ReputationRep:
    It means that nobody would want her to the PM next year
    Nobody here. Important distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    May was PM after the election.
    Brown wasn't after his.

No matter what kind of semantics you want to bring in, she won hers, he lost his. End of story.
    Not just that but amazingly she won 45% of the vote, more than Blair in ‘97 iirc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Nobody here. Important distinction.
    Yeah, I kinda guessed that, unless the entire UK population is using tsr, which isn't true
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Not just that but amazingly she won 45% of the vote, more than Blair in ‘97 iirc
    May won 42.4% of the vote, Blair in 1997 won 43.2%.

ReputationRep:
    There is little sign that those who voted for Labour in 2017 regret it. Nor was it simply a case of people voting Labour because 'they promised free stuff'. They haven't backtracked on wiping out student debt, that wasn't the promise. The promise was to abolish tuition fees and that remains party policy.

Immigration isn't the top issue for voters, certainly not young voters. The Tories are less popular than Labour in every age group until you get to 47. That's astonishing.

The Tories have a huge problem with the youth and that will be their downfall.
    You're delusional. You try to spin facts to fit your pro-Labour agenda.

ReputationRep:
    Donald trump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You're delusional. You try to spin facts to fit your pro-Labour agenda.
    Lol.

If this is the standard of the tory party's arguments, we don't have much to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

If this is the standard of the tory party's arguments, we don't have much to worry about.
    I criticise you for not knowing the facts or misleading people therefore I must be a Tory. Riiigghtt................
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You're asking who we think should lead the party but say we aren't allowed to choose certain people? #logic
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why would there be another election next year? That would take voter fatigue to the max given it's 4 major votes in as many years, two of which being completely unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. The reason Corbyn is popular with the young and graduates is that he talks about issues that matter to them, like housing, job security, pay, etc.
    Mogg on the other hand appeals strongly to the older vote with his social conservatism.

Mogg is entertaining, a charmer and a character for sure. But he has virtually nothing to say about the major issues facing the youth.

He would be a gift to Labour.
    I’m not so sure. I think if he did a speaking tour around schools and campuses he might prove to be a hit. He can offer his own explanations about young people issues such as housing, jobs etc. Young people I think will still favour Corbyn but not as strongly as you make out perhaps 65/35 in his favour.

ReputationRep:
    Boris Johnson would be a disaster. Probably the only time where I would support a military takeover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You're asking who we think should lead the party but say we aren't allowed to choose certain people? #logic
    There is an ‘other’ option, given there are over 300 potential other leaders this list could potentially be endless. Clearly Boris would be the main challenger were a contest held now. #eyes #brain

ReputationRep:
    May won 42.4% of the vote, Blair in 1997 won 43.2%.
    My bad, but it’s still pretty impressive considering her main policies were killing foxes, taking pensions and school meals.

ReputationRep:
    There won’t be a general election. There may be a conservative leadership election.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.