Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who should replace TM as leader of the Tories? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be Conservative leader in 2018/19?
    Theresa May (or Amber Rudd)
    11.84%
    Boris Johnson
    26.32%
    Other (please state)
    61.84%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    Given float at 330 in October 2013 and current price of 378 in October 2017, just shy four years, it has on average grown at 3.64% per annum, so hardly deal of the century.

Forget the hype, forget what it went up to, the market, right now, has little confidence in its growth and most of the price is propped by parcel service growth (thanks Amazon, E Bay etc) and not re the letters business that is shrinking.

Remember, HMG has had the use of the money raised for these four years so in the round, currently, it was pretty fairly priced.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-se...dinary-gbp0.01
    The private sector didn't purchase it because they felt it was going to lose them money.

We should have a 51% stake at least.

I just don't get why people are so keen to flog off public assets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    No one, it would be retarded to replace her with anyone until the brexit deal is sorted.

Who should replace her after that?

Well that’s complicated as there isn’t a standout.

Boris is an idiot, so the three best candidates unless an MP comes to the fore in the meantime is....

Amber Rudd - too small a majority unfortunately as she would be perfect.

David Davies - what will his stock be post deal? Could be high or low.

Teresa May - you see the issues with the above people. If brexit goes well she will be seen as much stronger and if it doesn’t you still have the issue with Davies then and Rudd’s majority still hasn’t changed.

To anyone who says Ruth Davison she isn’t an MP and wants to be first minister so that excludes her.

Which leaves a surprise contender, Steven crabb maybe? Or someone from the 2010 intake?
    Don’t know why anyone rates Crabb. Havent heard him say anything noteworthy he got busted having an affair with an intern after going on about ‘family values’ and apparently worked with a gay conversion therapy...

Surprised you’d go for Arch Remainer Rudd- I think she’s too Leftyish- and she’s been stupid on internet issues.

I think brexit talks have failed and are mainly irredeemable- I think unilaterally leaving is the best option now unless the EU agrees to a deal Within a time frame of our choosing (not going to happen)

That leaves May as Prime minister who is a proven loser, generally incompetent and useless at a time of national
    Emergency and where we have Corbyn in waiting. It’s a big risk but I don’t think there’s any other alternative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Don’t know why anyone rates Crabb. Havent heard him say anything noteworthy he got busted having an affair with an intern after going on about ‘family values’ and apparently worked with a gay conversion therapy...

Surprised you’d go for Arch Remainer Rudd- I think she’s too Leftyish- and she’s been stupid on internet issues.

I think brexit talks have failed and are mainly irredeemable- I think unilaterally leaving is the best option now unless the EU agrees to a deal Within a time frame of our choosing (not going to happen)

That leaves May as Prime minister who is a proven loser, generally incompetent and useless at a time of national
    Emergency and where we have Corbyn in waiting. It’s a big risk but I don’t think there’s any other alternative
    Rudd is a remainer but that will be in the past, post deal.
    I wouldn’t call her left wing either, she’s a good communicator, a woman (I’m a fan of female leaders), but her majority is tiny something like 100 votes.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Crabb has the back story of coming from humble beginnings. He seems a decent enough bloke but like you I've never thought he was anything special in terms of being leader.

Plus he is defending a very small majority of just a few hundred votes. Like Rudd, if he were leader he would have to spend a huge amount of time just defending his own seat.

ReputationRep:
    Still think the Tories are missing a trick by not making Kwasi Kwarteng leader, but I very much doubt he'll be leading anytime soon.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Who (if anyone) should replace Theresa May as leader of the Conservative party?

Boris or someone else?

Disclaimer

Ruth Davidson, David Davis and Jacob Rees Mogg are all ineligible/ uninterested in becoming leader. ( I think Ruth would back May as would probably Davis where’s Mogg would back Boris) if you disagree with me put other.

I think May has generally been a disaster. I don’t particularly think Boris is suitable but god help me I think I’d choose him over May. That said ideally I’d like to see a newish (2010 onwards) to step forward with some more radical proposals on house building and cutting immigration.
    Hi im not good at politics but maybe jeremy corbyn should be supreme leader?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It's hard to see this happening personally. As much as the SNP don't have their glow anymore (they have created their own domestic issues and have been governing too long to blame somebody else and they also overplayed their hand on independence) it's hard to see much of a credible reason for the left in Scotland to rally round in numbers that could win an election. It's possible they could exchange a few percent here or there but the loyalty labour had in Scotland no longer exists.

I think the Lib Dem's are far more vulnerable in Scotland personally and fortunately that the Tory vote is probably pretty stable.
    I can't admit to have been following the Scottish Labour leadership election but from what I have seen Scottish Labour is going to be in a far worse place under whoever wins than it was under Dugdale, even though Labour's stock is rising in Scotland. Just like they did well when UK Labour was popular under Blair, they are doing well under Corbyn, but ultimately they're living off UK Labour's popularity rather than building a separate Scottish identity that they can at least fall back on when UK Labour are unpopular. Certainly if they do end up being led by a man with a broad Yorkshire accent it will make building a separate Scottish identity harder still.

The contrasts to this are Welsh Labour (who have deliberately gone about building a separate identity to fall back on when things are going badly for Labour in London – though due in part to the Tony Blair / Rhodri Morgan fiasco in the early years of devolution) and the Scottish Conservatives. To bring this back to Ruth Davidson, she has been absolutely key in building the separate Scottish Tory identity that enabled them to beat Labour into third, and probably thinks she is far more valuable to the Scottish Tories than the UK party generally – certainly you have to question who would succeed her in Scotland were she to become UK leader and what the knock-on effects would be.

What we're likely to see is movement from SNP to Labour whilst UK Labour are popular, but at whatever point in the future when the pendulum swings the other way again I'm sure people will go back into the arms of the SNP. Now I already think we're going to see a big clash in the future between the new generation of Welsh and Scottish voters, who have never known anything but devolution and are used to gradually seeing more and more powers devolved, and the new generation of English voters, who are both suspicious and envious of devolution but struggle to differentiate devolutionism from other far less savoury forms of nationalism, so I certainly don't think the pendulum is swinging to the unionist parties on an anywhere near permanent basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I can't admit to have been following the Scottish Labour leadership election but from what I have seen Scottish Labour is going to be in a far worse place under whoever wins than it was under Dugdale, even though Labour's stock is rising in Scotland. Just like they did well when UK Labour was popular under Blair, they are doing well under Corbyn, but ultimately they're living off UK Labour's popularity rather than building a separate Scottish identity that they can at least fall back on when UK Labour are unpopular. Certainly if they do end up being led by a man with a broad Yorkshire accent it will make building a separate Scottish identity harder still.

The contrasts to this are Welsh Labour (who have deliberately gone about building a separate identity to fall back on when things are going badly for Labour in London – though due in part to the Tony Blair / Rhodri Morgan fiasco in the early years of devolution) and the Scottish Conservatives. To bring this back to Ruth Davidson, she has been absolutely key in building the separate Scottish Tory identity that enabled them to beat Labour into third, and probably thinks she is far more valuable to the Scottish Tories than the UK party generally – certainly you have to question who would succeed her in Scotland were she to become UK leader and what the knock-on effects would be.

What we're likely to see is movement from SNP to Labour whilst UK Labour are popular, but at whatever point in the future when the pendulum swings the other way again I'm sure people will go back into the arms of the SNP. Now I already think we're going to see a big clash in the future between the new generation of Welsh and Scottish voters, who have never known anything but devolution and are used to gradually seeing more and more powers devolved, and the new generation of English voters, who are both suspicious and envious of devolution but struggle to differentiate devolutionism from other far less savoury forms of nationalism, so I certainly don't think the pendulum is swinging to the unionist parties on an anywhere near permanent basis.
    Dugdale was a very strong leader. The reason Labour did worse than the SNP and Tories is because of the importance of Unionism/Independence which their position wasn't clear enough on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djerun)
    Clearly you aren't any good at it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    Dugdale was a very strong leader. The reason Labour did worse than the SNP and Tories is because of the importance of Unionism/Independence which their position wasn't clear enough on.
    One of the main reasons Labour conceded top spot in Scotland to the SNP in the first place back in 2007 was the perception (and too often the reality) of Scottish Labour being a 'branch office' of the UK party, which was hardly at the height of its popularity at the time.

Scottish Labour are now losing a leader who at least advocated federalism, which is at the very least a far more stable 'unionist' position to aim for than the current mess. Whilst they never turned it from a footnote into the main USP, I do fear that the idea might now be dead in Scottish Labour and they'll return to advocating the status quo now the SNP threat is less severe.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you aren't any good at it
    Don't assume people always mean what they say over the internet :P

P.S I love politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Rudd is a remainer but that will be in the past, post deal.
    I wouldn’t call her left wing either, she’s a good communicator, a woman (I’m a fan of female leaders), but her majority is tiny something like 100 votes.
    She’s continuity May which isn’t a great thing I’d have thought. Didn’t think you were a centrist lol.

I’d be interested as to what Patel would put forward as leader and it would be funny to pitch a minority against Corbyn 😂

It’s about 300 something

Bornblue

I’m sure Leaders of the two big parties must get lots of extra spending in their constituencies so as to mitigate potential risks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djerun)
    Supreme leader of Islington for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Crabb has the back story of coming from humble beginnings. He seems a decent enough bloke but like you I've never thought he was anything special in terms of being leader.

Plus he is defending a very small majority of just a few hundred votes. Like Rudd, if he were leader he would have to spend a huge amount of time just defending his own seat.
    A decent enough bloke who cheats on his wife with a young intern and tries to cure gay people ... ay?

As per risky seats see above.

ReputationRep:
    She’s continuity May which isn’t a great thing I’d have thought. Didn’t think you were a centrist lol.

I’d be interested as to what Patel would put forward as leader and it would be funny to pitch a minority against Corbyn 😂

It’s about 300 something

Bornblue

I’m sure Leaders of the two big parties must get lots of extra spending in their constituencies so as to mitigate potential risks.
    I don't think parties would generally bother, leaders tend to get a bit of a boost anyway due to huge name recognition and tend to be sitting in ultra-safe seats regardless.

ReputationRep:
    A decent enough bloke who cheats on his wife with a young intern and tries to cure gay people ... ay?

As per risky seats see above.
    You think Boris is the main challenger and don't discount him due to cheating on his wife twice.

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time, Labour's last two leaders came out of the shadows in the last minute and Cameron himself was a rank outsider. Years to go, if the PM manages to stay on her feet. They do need something radically fresh and different, no communication channels with the working class. Definitely not Boris.

ReputationRep:
    You think Boris is the main challenger and don't discount him due to cheating on his wife twice.
    No I think he’s an ******** too but he’s foreign sec and is far more prominent than Crabb.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I don't think parties would generally bother, leaders tend to get a bit of a boost anyway due to huge name recognition and tend to be sitting in ultra-safe seats regardless.
    Labour is surging in the south though.

There's just no way they would go into an election under the leadership of someone who had such a small majority.

They may get a boost due to recognition but equally there would be an incentive for opponents to unseat her.

ReputationRep:
    Ruth Davidson is the only Conservative politician with the platform to stop the momentum (pun intended) that labour is picking up weekly through the council by-elections. Mogg will get destroyed by the media for his Catholicism (I'm not a tory but I think this unfair) and also he's never held a regional leading or ministerial role. Boris would not win the next election. Realistically TM will carry on until the Brexit negotiations are over, so if it goes poorly she's to blame not the next leader, who will have a clean slate into the next election.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.