Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who should replace TM as leader of the Tories? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be Conservative leader in 2018/19?
    Theresa May (or Amber Rudd)
    11.84%
    Boris Johnson
    26.32%
    Other (please state)
    61.84%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    She’s continuity May which isn’t a great thing I’d have thought. Didn’t think you were a centrist lol.

I’d be interested as to what Patel would put forward as leader and it would be funny to pitch a minority against Corbyn 😂

It’s about 300 something

Bornblue

I’m sure Leaders of the two big parties must get lots of extra spending in their constituencies so as to mitigate potential risks.
    I’m not a centrist, but she is the most electable of the bunch.

I don’t really class myself anywhere and my personal whims of who I think is technically best for the job is irrelevant as we can only pick from people it’s possible to get the job.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    One of the main reasons Labour conceded top spot in Scotland to the SNP in the first place back in 2007 was the perception (and too often the reality) of Scottish Labour being a 'branch office' of the UK party, which was hardly at the height of its popularity at the time.

Scottish Labour are now losing a leader who at least advocated federalism, which is at the very least a far more stable 'unionist' position to aim for than the current mess. Whilst they never turned it from a footnote into the main USP, I do fear that the idea might now be dead in Scottish Labour and they'll return to advocating the status quo now the SNP threat is less severe.
    I think siding with the Tories in Better Together was the nail in the coffin. Look at what has happened to parties who help the Tories out, as soon as they're no longer useful they are tossed aside and lose bags of seats. The DUP will be next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The poll is flawed because it assumes that Theresa should be replaced and does not give an alternative to that option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    A posh plonker, But a cunning, sneaky plonker. Don't write him off.
    But, when it comes to cunning stunts there is probably nobody better than............................ ................................ ........ The Gover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I think siding with the Tories in Better Together was the nail in the coffin. Look at what has happened to parties who help the Tories out, as soon as they're no longer useful they are tossed aside and lose bags of seats. The DUP will be next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A party in need of relationship counselling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stunted Elf)
    The poll is flawed because it assumes that Theresa should be replaced and does not give an alternative to that option.
    it is badly flawed, with the title thread being about replacement and the small print on the poll question itself being about who should lead the party in 2018/19. Thought it a bit strange to see Theresa May at the top of the options on replacements for TM. Still, who cares?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely has to be somebody on the right of the party. Rees Mogg looks like the best option, articulate, straightforward genuine Conservative who doesn't try to pretend he's something he isn't. Enough of this centrist Blairite bullc** which ringfences foreign aid. Corbyn means the return of proper political debate, a fundamental clash of ideas. The Conservatives have to deliver the ideological equivalent of this or they deserve to lose the next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The private sector didn't purchase it because they felt it was going to lose them money.

We should have a 51% stake at least.

I just don't get why people are so keen to flog off public assets.
    Ideological reasons I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The DUP haven't really betrayed anyone. They are a right wing party anyway and they gained a **** tone of money for Northern Ireland. If I were a NI citizen I would be happy about the increase in money for my country, even if I was greatly apposed to what the DUP stand for. If anyone is going to be punished for the Con/DUP set up it will be the conservatives.

If the lib dems had managed to get rid of tuition fees as part of the coalition deal they would be in a much better position. Although I admit it would still be problematic as the lib dems were pitching themselves to the left of labour, never mind the cons. Then went into coalition with the cons and pursued an austerity agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The DUP haven't really betrayed anyone. They are a right wing party anyway and they gained a **** tone of money for Northern Ireland. If I were a NI citizen I would be happy about the increase in money for my country, even if I was greatly apposed to what the DUP stand for. If anyone is going to be punished for the Con/DUP set up it will be the conservatives.

If the lib dems had managed to get rid of tuition fees as part of the coalition deal they would be in a much better position. Although I admit it would still be problematic as the lib dems were pitching themselves to the left of labour, never mind the cons. Then went into coalition with the cons and pursued an austerity agenda.
    The DUP aren't right wing on many issues, the basis of their negotiations was more state funded projects in NI (which has a very large public sector anyway).

ReputationRep:
    James Cleverly as PM, with JRM as Chancellor. I'd like to see Kemi Badenoch in a cabinet position too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    James Cleverly as PM, with JRM as Chancellor. I'd like to see Kemi Badenoch in a cabinet position too.
    There's good grounds to believe that Cleverley is disloyal. Whether you agree with May being PM or not, it demonstrates a potential personality trait that you don't want.

ReputationRep:
    If brexit goes well it’s may or Davies. If it doesn’t then it’s going to be an unknown to most who is flavour of the month at that given time, probably one of the younger lot.

It won’t be JRM, Rudd or Johnson for sure.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting question is who would Tory MPs choose as the two candidates for the party membership vote? I think it's pretty unlikely that Boris would be one of the two, which would cause havoc with the party, as they love him in the Tory grassroots.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    An interesting question is who would Tory MPs choose as the two candidates for the party membership vote? I think it's pretty unlikely that Boris would be one of the two, which would cause havoc with the party, as they love him in the Tory grassroots.
    That's the unknown. They chose May because she was was super safe and they did not want another radical leader. The general election may have caused them to reconsider that though in which case a back bench MP could come through as they gamble. Equally fear could see them go for Rudd as the most like May i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I think the soft Brexiteers go for Rudd, and the hard Brexiteers go for the person they're most confident of beating her - Boris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    I think the soft Brexiteers go for Rudd, and the hard Brexiteers go for the person they're most confident of beating her - Boris.
    If Boris gets through as one of the Two, there's no doubt at all that he would then be PM, he would landslide the members. For him, it would be the just reward for all the hypocrisy, wheedling, deception, flim flam and public making a spectacle of himself.

For the MPs it would mostly be a hateful decision, he's very unpopular now in the parliamentary party. That's why there would be an 'anyone but Boris' campaign and very possibly Rees-Mogg on the ticket. Bizarre though the thought is, this is how William Rees-Mogg, the Member of Parliament for the 18th century, makes it to Downing St.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Can't see MP's backing Boris, Gove had more support than him among MP's.

ReputationRep:
    If Boris gets through as one of the Two, there's no doubt at all that he would then be PM, he would landslide the members. For him, it would be the just reward for all the hypocrisy, wheedling, deception, flim flam and public making a spectacle of himself.

For the MPs it would mostly be a hateful decision, he's very unpopular now in the parliamentary party. That's why there would be an 'anyone but Boris' campaign and very possibly Rees-Mogg on the ticket. Bizarre though the thought is, this is how William Rees-Mogg, the Member of Parliament for the 18th century, makes it to Downing St.
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Can't see MP's backing Boris, Gove had more support than him among MP's.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think they really want Boris. But things have changed since last time. Brexit divions within the party are far more entrenched - there's a camp that wants someone committed to a hard Brexit who can win over the members. There'll be more who will go along with whoever the alternative to the soft/remain candidate is. And there's a large contingent who'll be looking at what went so horribly wrong at the last election with a bland leader, and wondering if the total opposite merged with a stronger Brexit position and an anti-PC agenda might be the answer to keep Corbyn out. What's more, a lot of potential candidates won't want to stand during the current shitstorm. All of this makes me think this time Boris could win. Especially as he may well have already last time if not for Gove.

ReputationRep:
    Boris isn’t liked across the party, he divides it and Rudd’s majority is about 100 votes so that’s not happening either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.