Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not asking for myself or anyone, just wondering.

I wish that I just went straight to the OU as soon as I could rather than do college (though I have great memories of that) and a year of sixth form and a few years of work.

I'm guessing you have to be 18+ though to do the OU? Is it technically possible for school leaver to go straight into a degree with the OU?

Or do you think it is best to do other qualifications before even attempting a degree (unless you're a child genius)?

I do feel college prepared me a little for university.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible to study at the OU when under 18 or even 16. They have a document which lays out the various study paths here. Such potential students would mostly want to read the sections from 4.4 on.

I can't say what's right for someone else. I certainly wouldn't have been self-disciplined enough for Open University study at that age ... Then again, I wasn't self-disciplined enough for traditional university study at 17, either. I would say that someone should be very, very careful when considering it. The Open University carries with it a financial consequence that (in my opinion) shouldn't be placed on the shoulders of a non-adult.

As it's not something you're actively interested in pursuing, I'll lay off further admonishments of consideration.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.