Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure many of you have wrestled with these guys...
    I have had many years of dealing with them and now can discern the decent, well meaning ones (like Hays) from the downright, awful, scummy ones (like Manpower, Reed etc.).

One thing I am still figuring out though is when an agency say they have a job/role for you and are happy to put you forward for it but want you to register with them first. Other times, I've had an agency simply put me forward for it anyway without asking for registration. What's the rule here? How does this work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorttermnomad)
    I'm sure many of you have wrestled with these guys...
    I have had many years of dealing with them and now can discern the decent, well meaning ones (like Hays) from the downright, awful, scummy ones (like Manpower, Reed etc.).

One thing I am still figuring out though is when an agency say they have a job/role for you and are happy to put you forward for it but want you to register with them first. Other times, I've had an agency simply put me forward for it anyway without asking for registration. What's the rule here? How does this work?
    Well before you start any job you DO need to identify yourself as eligible to work in the country - otherwise you will get into trouble (and the employer).
    So for starters what agencies should really do first is to register your details with themselves.
    I've never been in a situation where an agency just puts me forward without registering my details first and I think it's the safest route to do so as I say in the first paragraph that you have to show all of the right to work documents - just as you would for a permanent job otherwise it is just pure poor practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelsandFairies)
    Well before you start any job you DO need to identify yourself as eligible to work in the country - otherwise you will get into trouble (and the employer).
    So for starters what agencies should really do first is to register your details with themselves.
    I've never been in a situation where an agency just puts me forward without registering my details first and I think it's the safest route to do so as I say in the first paragraph that you have to show all of the right to work documents - just as you would for a permanent job otherwise it is just pure poor practice.
    It makes no difference as they would have to register you either way, before or after. It doesn't matter whether it's before or after you get the job.
    So in other words, I have had plenty of times where an agency will just put me forward for the role and then if I'm successful they'll register me after but NOT before I've started the role. This to me makes the most sense because then the agency isn't wasting your time or their time by making you go to them, register and then not get the job.

I've often thought that quite a few agencies simply want to get as many candidates on their books as possible, which means they want to register you by offering you a potential job opportunity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.