The Student Room Group

Parents income

Am I correct in thinking that if parents pay contributions into a private pension this aamount can be taken from gross income to calculate student loan/grants?
Original post by mattsmum
Am I correct in thinking that if parents pay contributions into a private pension this aamount can be taken from gross income to calculate student loan/grants?

Hi mattsmum,

Private pension contributions can be taken into account as an income deduction for assessment of household income. We will require evidence of payments made, which can be in the form of a Tax Return or a statement from your pension provider.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Thank you very much Rona for confirming this for me.

It is actually Student Finance Wales who are insisting that it is the Gross Pay figure that is used.
We have supplied them with copies from our Pension Provider, which they have confirmed they have
received. I have queried this three times now, and think the only option left is to appeal.
Thank you very much Rona for confirming this for me.

It is actually Student Finance Wales who are insisting that it is the Gross Pay figure that is used.
We have supplied them with copies from our Pension Provider, which they have confirmed they have
received. I have queried this three times now, and think the only option left is to appeal.

Hi mattsmum,

I can only advise you on Student Finance England.

If you have supplied evidence from your Pension Provider, you should be confident that this has been taken into account.

You can contact Student Finance Wales on

Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Thank you again Rona
They did an original assessment taking the contributions into account, and then a second one again taking them into account, then a third using just our Gross Pay.
This resulted in a drop of student finance entitlement of £700.
They just tell me to contact HMRC if I have a problem with amount they are using, even though I have explained I agree with the HMRC's figures.
I appreciate you can only advice on Student Finance England, I just wanted confirmation I was right before I take it further.
Thank you again Rona
They did an original assessment taking the contributions into account, and then a second one again taking them into account, then a third using just our Gross Pay.
This resulted in a drop of student finance entitlement of £700.
They just tell me to contact HMRC if I have a problem with amount they are using, even though I have explained I agree with the HMRC's figures.
I appreciate you can only advice on Student Finance England, I just wanted confirmation I was right before I take it further.

Hi mattsmum,

Student Finance Wales is a different award authority, we cannot advise or confirm on how they assess. I advise you to contact them on the telephone number I have provided.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest