Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have decided to go ahead and start a Ba (Honours) degree in Criminology and Law at the Open University. VERY EXCITED!!! I have applied for the course, chosen my modules and sorted my student finance to pay for the course (all approved and done). I live with my partner and we rent our house, I was wondering if ill be able to get a maintenance loan for text books and things like while I'm not working as I will be studying full time hours. Any help would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that you're so enthusiastic. I'm still much nearer the beginning than the end of my OU adventure, but it's thoroughly rewarding thus far.

There's some good news, some bad news, and then some more good news in answer to your query.

The first good news is that you probably won't need a maintenance loan for text books. For most modules, the OU provides all of the materials required. Many are developed in-house by the OU (the vast majority of module resources), some are co-developed by them (such as BBC/OU DVD resources), and sometimes they even send third-party materials. (I got a copy of Isaac Asimov's science fiction classic I, Robot for one of my current modules.) There are some modules for which this isn't the case, however, such as literary works for consideration.

The bad news is that there is currently no maintenance loan available for the Open University. You can receive financial loan assistance toward your tuition, but nothing beyond that.

The second good news is that this is tentatively scheduled to change. You may hear many people misquote 2018/2019 as the target date for part-time maintenance loans to be offered. This was the target date given for non-distance learning maintenance. Originally, the Open University and other distance learning institutions were not going to be considered for the part-time maintenance loan scheme. After consultation, however, the current plan is to bring distance learning institutions into the programme a year later, for the 2019/2020 academic year. As you're studying a law-related degree, you may get a kick out of going over a March 2017 consultation response in which this revelation was communicated.

(Keep in mind, however, that March was ages ago in political terms, so who knows if any of this will ever be acted upon. It seems an easy win for any government to pursue, though.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyCynic)
    I'm glad that you're so enthusiastic. I'm still much nearer the beginning than the end of my OU adventure, but it's thoroughly rewarding thus far...
    Thanks for the help, i'll definitely give it a read

ReputationRep:
    I ve just applied for the same course. I m in the same position and wondered what help I could get in regards to equipment books ect... I ll be studying full time too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.