Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A train ticket to a destination just past where I want to go is a lot cheaper than where I actually want to go.. (for some reason). It travels through the station I need, can I just get off early and pay for the cheaper ticket? Or will I not get through the ticket barrier? If anyone has done this before!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you can do this. My aunt used to do this (train pricing is bizarre). If the ticket machine doesn't accept your ticket, just show the ticket officer and he will let you through.

ReputationRep:
    I think technically it's not OK. If it's close though you can claim innocence and say someone offered you a lift home if you were confronted. The ticket barrier won't let you through but the ticket guard probably will (if the barriers are even functioning...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wished volcano)
    A train ticket to a destination just past where I want to go is a lot cheaper than where I actually want to go.. (for some reason). It travels through the station I need, can I just get off early and pay for the cheaper ticket? Or will I not get through the ticket barrier? If anyone has done this before!
    Thanks
    It depends. You can sometimes do this.

See section 16 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel

16.4 Generally, you may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the Ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. However, this may not be the case with some through services that take an indirect route. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) before the destination shown on the Ticket.

16.5 If you start, break or resume your journey at an intermediate station where you are not entitled to do so, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. The price for this will be the difference between the amount paid for the Ticket you hold and the lowest price Ticket available for immediate travel that would have entitled you to start, break or resume your journey at the station concerned.
    If you have a season ticket, you are allowed to travel to/from intermediate stops on the route. (See section 36.2 of the same document.)

If in doubt, ask at a station ticket office before buying the ticket. They are obliged to give you accurate information.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can 100%, done it several times, if you need to just say you're going to meet someone then coming back or some pish.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I think technically it's not OK. If it's close though you can claim innocence and say someone offered you a lift home if you were confronted. The ticket barrier won't let you through but the ticket guard probably will (if the barriers are even functioning...).
    The ticket barriers do let you through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    The ticket barriers do let you through.
    maybe it varies, last time I tried it I couldn't get through at the wrong station

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.