The Student Room Group

Mini Roundabouts - Keep getting beeped at

I have been driving for just over a year, and the two scenarios I have been beeped at by another car have both been on mini roundabouts, so I presume I'm doing something wrong and was wondering if I could have some advice.

Both situations are as follows. I have a car to my right at the mini roundabout, they haven't yet "joined" the mini roundabout but they are stopped at the junction, their way is clear, no indicators on. As they are to my right they have right-of-way so I wait. They are just sat there at the junction not indicating, not doing anything just sitting there. After a few seconds of this I get beeped at for not going, and then I move onto the mini roundabout to go straight ahead, therefore pulling out in front of a car which has priority over me, hoping they won't decide that now is the time they will move onto the mini roundabout.

I get that it's annoying to be hesitant at a roundabout and I know that's why they beeped me, and yeah it got to the point where I just had to go despite the car to my right. But is there something I'm missing?

Scroll to see replies

if there's a car waiting to your right they have priority, but if another car is driving past it from their right, then that's a chance for you to drive on. I'm not sure if you currently learning or have already passed, if you're learning then your instructor should be explaining why they beeped. If you've already passed, it's probably just best to stick to the rules and give priority to the right despite the beeps, i think most people don't usually follow the rules of a roundabout once they've passed, you could probably get away with it too but it could likely result in an accident.
Original post by xoamy
I have been driving for just over a year, and the two scenarios I have been beeped at by another car have both been on mini roundabouts, so I presume I'm doing something wrong and was wondering if I could have some advice.

Both situations are as follows. I have a car to my right at the mini roundabout, they haven't yet "joined" the mini roundabout but they are stopped at the junction, their way is clear, no indicators on. As they are to my right they have right-of-way so I wait. They are just sat there at the junction not indicating, not doing anything just sitting there. After a few seconds of this I get beeped at for not going, and then I move onto the mini roundabout to go straight ahead, therefore pulling out in front of a car which has priority over me, hoping they won't decide that now is the time they will move onto the mini roundabout.

I get that it's annoying to be hesitant at a roundabout and I know that's why they beeped me, and yeah it got to the point where I just had to go despite the car to my right. But is there something I'm missing?

Mini roundabouts, especially three-way ones, are notoriously prone to stand-off situations. Just go cautiously (keeping eye to right) if you come across it and there is no movement. Beeps from cars behind in such situations should be ignored - it is you that could crash, not them.
Reply 3
continuously look for gaps in the traffic, and any large enough gaps, take them.
Remember that you can only have a max of two wheels in the middle of the roundabout
Reply 4
Original post by bubblegumcat
if there's a car waiting to your right they have priority, but if another car is driving past it from their right, then that's a chance for you to drive on. I'm not sure if you currently learning or have already passed, if you're learning then your instructor should be explaining why they beeped. If you've already passed, it's probably just best to stick to the rules and give priority to the right despite the beeps, i think most people don't usually follow the rules of a roundabout once they've passed, you could probably get away with it too but it could likely result in an accident.

I have already passed, I understand roundabouts with the fundamental rule of giving way to the right. I don't understand why I am getting beeped at for not joining a mini roundabout when there is a car in the junction of the right stopped ready to join the roundabout. It is the car to my right who is in the wrong as far as I'm aware, you shouldn't sit at a junction absentmindedly with no signal on. His way was completely clear to go, hence I anticipated him joining the roundabout. Then because I got beeped I crossed the mini roundabout to go straight ahead, all whilst there was a car to my right with priority over me joining the roundabout, and I just had to hope they didn't decide that second to finally move.

Original post by Good bloke
Mini roundabouts, especially three-way ones, are notoriously prone to stand-off situations. Just go cautiously (keeping eye to right) if you come across it and there is no movement. Beeps from cars behind in such situations should be ignored - it is you that could crash, not them.

Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).
Just because someone beeps you, you don't go if you don't feel comfortable! It's you driving, your decision, not theirs. People are just inpatient.
Original post by xoamy

Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).

Of course, but people are sometimes mesmerised by another car standing there and they lose sight of the rules and what they should do. It is all part of the rich tapestry of motoring.
Original post by bubblegumcat
if there's a car waiting to your right they have priority, ...............
Utter nonsense.
"Give way to traffic approaching from the right".
A car waiting to enter is not approaching from anywhere.
Reply 8
Original post by mphysical
Utter nonsense.

An overarching principle of all road use in the UK is that you give way to the right; if you are on a three lane road where you are in the left lane, and someone is in the far right lane, and you both want to be in the central lane, the car to the right has priority.

This logic can be applied to mini roundabouts where it is too small for traffic to already be on the roundabout. If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first.

Furthermore, the HC clearly states give way to traffic already on the roundabout, OR approaching from the right.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
.......... If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first..
Who says "you must let them go first"
Original post by IWMTom

Furthermore, the HC clearly states give way to traffic already on the roundabout, OR approaching from the right.
it does not say any such thing.
Reply 10
Who says "you must let them go first"
it does not say any such thing.

You're absolutely clueless.

Rule 185

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining

watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

There is a clear distinction between traffic already on the roundabout, and those approaching.
You're doing nothing wrong. If you're in a stand-off just flash your lights and sit there. If they flash back at you, don't move, could be a scam or confusion/panic will get both of you. Just flash and wait them out. Flash again if you need to.

Just because you got beeped at doesn't mean you're in the wrong. A lot of drivers are shite anyway.

I understand your concern, but try to be confident in your understanding of the road and its rules. If you have to, watch YouTube videos to refresh/reassure yourself.
Original post by IWMTom
You're absolutely clueless.

Rule 185

There is a clear distinction between traffic already on the roundabout, and those approaching.
It is fine quoting the highway code but you obviously do not understand it.
Going back to your previous statements. Where does it say " If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first.."
And where is your quote that "Furthermore, the HC clearly states give way to traffic already on the roundabout, OR approaching from the right." Neither of your quotes exist in the HC.
You are clearly misunderstanding what is meant by "approaching from the right".
Reply 13
It is fine quoting the highway code but you obviously do not understand it.
Going back to your previous statements. Where does it say " If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first.."
And where is your quote that "Furthermore, the HC clearly states give way to traffic already on the roundabout, OR approaching from the right." Neither of your quotes exist in the HC.
You are clearly misunderstanding what is meant by "approaching from the right".

Are you thick?

There are two completely separate statements, one that states give way to traffic on the roundabout, and another for traffic approaching. It's a very clear distinction.

As previously mentioned, priority to the right is an overarching principle of driving in the UK, amongst other countries in the Vienna Convention.
There's no such thing as giving way to the right.
See the broken line in front of you? That says, give way to people already on the
roundabout, just like pulling out at a give way junction.
You see roundabouts where the dotted lines tell people on the roundabout to give
way to people arriving, usually along a main road.
It is a good idea to approach a roundabout at a moderate speed and attempt to
assess other traffic and make your decision as you arrive, this allows your progress
to be smooth and positive with the option of stopping if your way is not clear.
People who always stop, even though their way is clear, can cause impatience but it is their prerogative, especially if they lack confidence. If you are hesitant perhaps you should consider taking an advanced driving course?

People who use their horns waiting for you to move are telling you they are much more important than you. You are at liberty to doubt their pronouncements.

(I'm not recommending this, but it makes me feel better to pull on my handbrake,
turn off the engine, get out of the car, walk back to the beeper and ask, in a
perfectly calm and reasonable voice, "does there seem to be a problem?")
Original post by IWMTom
Are you thick?

There are two completely separate statements, one that states give way to traffic on the roundabout, and another for traffic approaching. It's a very clear distinction.

As previously mentioned, priority to the right is an overarching principle of driving in the UK, amongst other countries in the Vienna Convention.

Can you stop the personal insults? i am trying to educate you.
"When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right"
This simply states traffic on the roundabout has priority.it does not mention traffic approaching the roundabout or traffic waiting to enter the roundabout. All traffic on the roundabout is going clockwise, hence approaching from your right.
"priority to the right is an overarching principle of driving in the UK," It is not. You are thinking of "priorite a droite" which is French Law. As for vienna convention "Priority to the right is a right-of-way system, in which the driver of a vehicle is required to give way to vehicles approaching from the right at intersections. The system is stipulated in Article 18.4.a of the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic for countries where traffic keeps to the right"
We keep to the left in the UK.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Can you stop the personal insults? i am trying to educate you.
"When reaching the roundabout you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right"
This simply states traffic on the roundabout has priority.it does not mention traffic approaching the roundabout or traffic waiting to enter the roundabout. All traffic on the roundabout is going clockwise, hence approaching from your right./QUOTE]

Ehem, no.

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining

watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all

look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

See the two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT statements?

What do you propose is to happen if you come to the roundabout then? No one moves? What a pathetic argument.

Traffic police and insurance companies all agree that on a mini-roundabout (where there is not enough room for anyone to already be travelling around the roundabout), traffic to the right waiting to join has priority. This is a commonly understood rule of the road, whether it's explicitly written down or not.

Don't be so ridiculous in your argument - go ahead and get smashed into if you truly think you're correct.. but you're not.. and you'll lose an insurance claim.
Original post by IWMTom
Ehem, no......
I know exactly what the highway code says. Please stop quoting. It does not make you look clever when you clearly do not understand.
Original post by IWMTom
What do you propose is to happen if you come to the roundabout then? No one moves? What a pathetic argument.
I don't understand this question/statement. It makes no sense.
Original post by IWMTom
Traffic police and insurance companies all agree that on a mini-roundabout (where there is not enough room for anyone to already be travelling around the roundabout), traffic to the right waiting to join has priority. This is a commonly understood rule of the road, whether it's explicitly written down or not
This is pub lawyer talk. They do not agree any such thing, and I can assure you that no "commonly understood rule of the road, whether it's explicitly written down or not" has priority over the Highways Act.
At a roundabout, traffic on the roundabout has priority. It is going clockwise so approaching from the right.
Traffic approaching the roundabout is not on the junction and does not have priority over any other traffic approaching the junction
Reply 18
This is pub lawyer talk. They do not agree any such thing, and I can assure you that no "commonly understood rule of the road, whether it's explicitly written down or not" has priority over the Highways Act.
At a roundabout, traffic on the roundabout has priority. It is going clockwise so approaching from the right.
Traffic approaching the roundabout is not on the junction and does not have priority over any other traffic approaching the junction

Honestly mate, go have an accident if that's what you want to do - no skin off my back. The logical thing to do when driving is to avoid an accident, and that involves giving way to people to the right of you.

You're wrong, but hey ho, do what you like.

Good luck claiming on insurance if you ever flout the rules :facepalm:
Utter nonsense.

when you approach a roundabout and there's a car on the right then they have priority, that's generally the rule however i imagine you're one of those idiots who does follow the rules and would rather would everyone's lives at risk :-)

Latest