Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mini Roundabouts - Keep getting beeped at Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoamy)
    Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).
    (Original post by xoamy)
    Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).
    yeah you're right, the beeping is probably because they're impatient, and i have no idea why the car on the right would approach with no signal, clearly they didn't pay enough attention in their lessons. Most people don't even follow the rules when it comes to roundabouts now, just gotta be as careful as you can when driving on a roundabout
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    Utter nonsense.
    "Give way to traffic approaching from the right".
    A car waiting to enter is not approaching from anywhere.
    was supposed to say doesn't*** follow the rules
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Probably pointless me weighing in here, but I think mphysical is taking the wording of the Highway Code a bit literally.

While the Highway Code may not say anything specifically about giving priority to traffic waiting to enter a roundabout to your right, I think it's generally understood by drivers that when you have a mini roundabout and there are very small distances between each entrance/exit, some common sense needs to be applied. So cars approaching the roundabout from your right, or waiting to enter from your right (and their way is clear) should be given way to. This isn't inconsistent with the principles expressed in the Code.

To the OP - people are just impatient unfortunately. It doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong. As someone else said, you can get three way stand-offs at mini-roundabouts quite often. There's one near my Mum's house with a zebra crossing immediately after one of the exits, which makes things even more fun as people stop unexpectedly on the roundabout to let people cross the road.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Probably pointless me weighing in here, but I think mphysical is taking the wording of the Highway Code a bit literally.

While the Highway Code may not say anything specifically about giving priority to traffic waiting to enter a roundabout to your right, I think it's generally understood by drivers that when you have a mini roundabout and there are very small distances between each entrance/exit, some common sense needs to be applied. So cars approaching the roundabout from your right, or waiting to enter from your right (and their way is clear) should be given way to. This isn't inconsistent with the principles expressed in the Code.

To the OP - people are just impatient unfortunately. It doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong. As someone else said, you can get three way stand-offs at mini-roundabouts quite often. There's one near my Mum's house with a zebra crossing immediately after one of the exits, which makes things even more fun as people stop unexpectedly on the roundabout to let people cross the road.
    Perfect summing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    when you approach a roundabout and there's a car on the right then they have priority, that's generally the rule however i imagine you're one of those idiots who does follow the rules and would rather would everyone's lives at risk :-)
    They only have priority if they are ON the roundabout. Obviously if it looks like they are about to enter then giving way is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Perfect summing up.
    I do not disagree with anything Sweyn Forkbeard has stated. Applying common sense and understanding is fine. I do disagree with the statement " If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first." The Highway Act or the Highway code say no such thing
    You will probably answer with terms such as 'clueless', 'thick', 'idiot' because this is your level, but let me help you with facts referring to the road markings at a roundabout (Give Way markings) from ROAD TRAFFIC The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.
    Diagram 1003.3 Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout with a small central island or approaching a junction indicated by the marking shown in item 5 of this sign table should give way at, or immediately beyond, the line to traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout
    " traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout" - no mention of traffic approaching the roundabout from any direction.
    Diagram 1003.1 Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout should give way at or immediately beyond the line to vehicular traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout .
    Again no mention of no mention of traffic approaching the roundabout from any direction.
    By the way, you still have not apologised for being wrong about the Vienna Convention and priorite a droite.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.