Turn on thread page Beta

Mini Roundabouts - Keep getting beeped at watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoamy)
    Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).
    (Original post by xoamy)
    Thank you. Yeah it was a three way one, the junction to my right had a car waiting but his way was completely clear to go, so if he had been turning right he would have crossed my path. Surely it is that driver in the wrong and not me, as you should not sit at a junction with no signal on and no other signalling to other drivers (he didn't flash for me to go or any indication of what was going on in his mind).
    yeah you're right, the beeping is probably because they're impatient, and i have no idea why the car on the right would approach with no signal, clearly they didn't pay enough attention in their lessons. Most people don't even follow the rules when it comes to roundabouts now, just gotta be as careful as you can when driving on a roundabout
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    Utter nonsense.
    "Give way to traffic approaching from the right".
    A car waiting to enter is not approaching from anywhere.
    was supposed to say doesn't*** follow the rules
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Probably pointless me weighing in here, but I think mphysical is taking the wording of the Highway Code a bit literally.

While the Highway Code may not say anything specifically about giving priority to traffic waiting to enter a roundabout to your right, I think it's generally understood by drivers that when you have a mini roundabout and there are very small distances between each entrance/exit, some common sense needs to be applied. So cars approaching the roundabout from your right, or waiting to enter from your right (and their way is clear) should be given way to. This isn't inconsistent with the principles expressed in the Code.

To the OP - people are just impatient unfortunately. It doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong. As someone else said, you can get three way stand-offs at mini-roundabouts quite often. There's one near my Mum's house with a zebra crossing immediately after one of the exits, which makes things even more fun as people stop unexpectedly on the roundabout to let people cross the road.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Probably pointless me weighing in here, but I think mphysical is taking the wording of the Highway Code a bit literally.

While the Highway Code may not say anything specifically about giving priority to traffic waiting to enter a roundabout to your right, I think it's generally understood by drivers that when you have a mini roundabout and there are very small distances between each entrance/exit, some common sense needs to be applied. So cars approaching the roundabout from your right, or waiting to enter from your right (and their way is clear) should be given way to. This isn't inconsistent with the principles expressed in the Code.

To the OP - people are just impatient unfortunately. It doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong. As someone else said, you can get three way stand-offs at mini-roundabouts quite often. There's one near my Mum's house with a zebra crossing immediately after one of the exits, which makes things even more fun as people stop unexpectedly on the roundabout to let people cross the road.
    Perfect summing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegumcat)
    when you approach a roundabout and there's a car on the right then they have priority, that's generally the rule however i imagine you're one of those idiots who does follow the rules and would rather would everyone's lives at risk :-)
    They only have priority if they are ON the roundabout. Obviously if it looks like they are about to enter then giving way is a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Perfect summing up.
    I do not disagree with anything Sweyn Forkbeard has stated. Applying common sense and understanding is fine. I do disagree with the statement " If you approach a mini roundabout with someone to your right, you must let them go first." The Highway Act or the Highway code say no such thing
    You will probably answer with terms such as 'clueless', 'thick', 'idiot' because this is your level, but let me help you with facts referring to the road markings at a roundabout (Give Way markings) from ROAD TRAFFIC The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016.
    Diagram 1003.3 Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout with a small central island or approaching a junction indicated by the marking shown in item 5 of this sign table should give way at, or immediately beyond, the line to traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout
    " traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout" - no mention of traffic approaching the roundabout from any direction.
    Diagram 1003.1 Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout should give way at or immediately beyond the line to vehicular traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout .
    Again no mention of no mention of traffic approaching the roundabout from any direction.
    By the way, you still have not apologised for being wrong about the Vienna Convention and priorite a droite.

ReputationRep:
    Please be aware that the transverse marking on the approach to a roundabout means:

"Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout should give way at or immediately beyond the line to vehicular traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout"

(Traffic Signs Regulations and Directions 2016, PART 4, Item 1)

So, if the vehicle to one's right is not "in" the roundabout, one does not have to give way. Of course, if that vehicle is approaching the roundabout at the ridiculous speeds that one sometimes sees, one might wish give way, anyway, as the driver may not have become aware of the existence of the roundabout (esp. a mini one) or s/he may simply assume right of way if there's nothing to his/her right.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andrew Fraser)
    Please be aware that the transverse marking on the approach to a roundabout means:

"Vehicular traffic approaching a roundabout should give way at or immediately beyond the line to vehicular traffic circulating on the carriageway of the roundabout"

So, if the vehicle to one's right is not "in" the roundabout, one does not have to give way. Of course, if that vehicle is approaching the roundabout at the ridiculous speeds that one sometimes sees, one might wish give way, anyway, as the driver may not have become aware of the existence of the roundabout (esp. a mini one) or s/he may simply assume right of way if there's nothing to his/her right.
    If you aren't giving way to a car on your right at a mini-roundabout, you're just yet another inconsiderate plonker on the roads, who will one day cause a collision.

Legislation and codes are one thing, but common sense always prevails.

ReputationRep:
    To me it just sounds like TC is a bit indecisive, although I would rather that than being over eager and forcing their way out.

ReputationRep:

Common sense applies... Drive out in front of someone and get hit? You'll be found 100% at fault unless the other guy way blasting through the roundabout at the "ridiculous speeds that one sometimes sees".

ReputationRep:
    ... and by the way:

Rule 112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    • while stationary on the road
    • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.
    Law CUR reg 99
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ... and by the way:

Rule 112

The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
    • while stationary on the road
    • when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.
    Law CUR reg 99
    Oh do stop quoting the HC, it's getting you nowhere!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    s/he may simply assume right of way if there's nothing to his/her right.
    Because they do... You give way to the right. With mini-roundabouts you should consider any car at the entrance to your right as being on the roundabout if you want to ignore what IWMTom has already quoted.

If you pretend that it's anyone's game when approaching a mini-roundabout, go ahead - if a car hits you from the right then you will be at fault. But, maybe you should acknowledge the rules of the road as applied and not cause accidents because "technically the wording says I can"

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd wait briefly, try to see what that driver was doing/get his attention, and, if he kept faffing about, just go.

Understandable that traffic behind would get annoyed tbh. As far as they can see there are just two cars sat at the entrance to a mini roundabout for no obvious reason. The beeping could just as easily have been 'at' the other guy.

It's sort of similar to the situation in which three drivers reach an impasse at a mini-roundabout. Eventually someone has to just go, despite the fact that they're then failing to give way to someone on their right.

ReputationRep:
    Oh do stop quoting the HC, it's getting you nowhere!
    Have you something more useful to contribute, perhaps?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have you something more useful to contribute, perhaps?
    Do bear in mind this thread hadn't had a response since October before you waded in..

ReputationRep:
    Do bear in mind this thread hadn't had a response since October before you waded in..
    The original enquiry concerned a driver being "beeped at" while she was waiting at mini-roundabout. It doesn't seem to have attracted an informed response from you. Why do you wish to restrict others from attempting to help?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The original enquiry concerned a driver being "beeped at" while she was waiting at mini-roundabout. It doesn't seem to have attracted an informed response from you. Why do you wish to restrict others from attempting to help?
    You're not listening, this is an old thread that you've bumped without new information..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thread closed, as the OP will probably not find the replies of any use.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.