Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances of getting onto Finance Grad Scheme after graduating? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last year - does this put me at any disadvantage when applying to grad schemes? Do employers prefer students applying during their final year?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Id imagine that employers prefer to hire people who have recently graduated for their grad schemes. However, there are a lot of exceptions to that. Some of the people I've met moved on to a grad scheme 5 years after graduating. However, in that time they were doing relevant work experience, and the grad scheme was almost a natural progression from the job they had been doing. From my experience, most of the people im working with, it seems to be a mix of people straight out of uni, and some who have graduated a year ago.

In my case, I started my grad job 2 years after graduating. I wanted to go in to banking, and I didnt get a role in banking. I considered taking a year to reapply, but concluded that applying to grad jobs 3 years after graduation, and having done no relevant work experience in that time it was bet not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME1993)
    I graduated last year - does this put me at any disadvantage when applying to grad schemes? Do employers prefer students applying during their final year?

Thanks.
    I went to an assessment centre for one of the large accounting firms in February and 10 out of 12 people had already graduated. in my opinion those that graduated were stronger applicants as they'd been working full time since graduation or were doing masters degrees.

if you have decent work experience since graduating, and can show good examples of the competencies, you won't be at a disadvantage in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodchuck)
    I went to an assessment centre for one of the large accounting firms in February and 10 out of 12 people had already graduated. in my opinion those that graduated were stronger applicants as they'd been working full time since graduation or were doing masters degrees.

if you have decent work experience since graduating, and can show good examples of the competencies, you won't be at a disadvantage in my experience.
    Thanks for your response. The only worry I have then, I guess, is that I've been working in a Marketing role for a year since I graduated, but am now looking to get onto a finance graduate scheme.

Will I have to explain my decision to move away from Marketing in detail?

ReputationRep:
    I graduated with a Philosophy degree in 2012, worked for two years as an English language assistant in Madrid and then spent a year teaching primary in England before starting an ACA training contract in 2015. My lack of 'relevant' work experience wasn't a lack at all- it's all about demonstrating the skills you do have and being able to show the firms why your skills will make you a good trainee.
    They teach you how to audit, they teach you how to do double entry but they can't give you good worth ethic or solid teamwork skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME1993)
    Thanks for your response. The only worry I have then, I guess, is that I've been working in a Marketing role for a year since I graduated, but am now looking to get onto a finance graduate scheme.

Will I have to explain my decision to move away from Marketing in detail?
    yes. you'll have to have convincing answers to why you want in finance, why you are changing to a different line of work, and knowledge of the company, among other things, though depending on the recruitment process this may only crop up in a first stage / final stage interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodchuck)
    yes. you'll have to have convincing answers to why you want in finance, why you are changing to a different line of work, and knowledge of the company, among other things, though depending on the recruitment process this may only crop up in a first stage / final stage interview.
    Cheers. I think I've covered a lot of that in my application (in the 300 word questions such as 'What specifically attracts you to this role?')

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.