Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To be annoyed at my housemate's boyfriend's moving in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a situation like this in my final year where one of the lads who I was living with decided to have his girlfriend live there, with him, in his tiny room. My partner and I have stayed at each other's accommodations and those beds are not comfortable for a weekend, never mind every day. I wouldn't have cared, had they both not been disgusting and not mindful of others. They left the kitchen a complete mess all the time, refused to clean up, she claimed the excuse that she didn't live there (clearly she did), and it "wasn't her mess", like we each cleaned up after each other in the house, it was just courtesy if we were washing dishes we'd wash others as well, but neither of them did that. They played music until ungodly hours and you could also hear them having sex. They'd leave the door unlocked as well, and it wasn't like we lived in a secure place. It was front door, then straight into the hallway where our rooms were. I got really annoyed and complained to accommodation because she shouldn't have been living there, and about everything else too. (She literally lived about 2 houses down from us but they didn't bother to like go back and forth, she moved in on the first day and literally stayed the whole time, never got to knew her housemates. Complained they made it "awkward" - like yeah it will be awkward when you just naff off the first day and they never see you again except every so often!). I got offered a studio flat for the last few months of my final year. If it gets bad just complain. For me it affected my work cause of the noise and them being in first year and me being in final year. But I'd def complain and tell them about their bfs staying over cause it's not fair.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Thank you for understanding me.
    That is how I felt. I signed for 3 girls that is it. My housemate has told me to "keep it as a secret" but I am not happy with it. I have no idea how to say it. Isn't it not too late to move out as I have signed a contract and paid a deposit? I would love to move though
    It probably is too late to be honest. You could ask one of the boyfriends to take over your contract. He would then give you the deposit and cover his fair share of the rent
    The landlord wouldn’t be too bothered I guess. He’s still covered.
    You need to tell them there are serious consequences all round. You really could be evicted. He could be fined by the council for over occupancy and breaching fire regulations etc.
    I’d suggest you go ASAP to get some proper expert advice. Your uni will probably have experience with these issues and so will citizens advice. Find out where you stand and then decide what to do.
    You don’t have to live in this situation if you don’t want to.
    Be aware that if the girlfriends find out they’ll probably never speak to you again but it’s just this year, you’ll have your own friends and you will be ok.
    I hope you can sort it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    It probably is too late to be honest. You could ask one of the boyfriends to take over your contract. He would then give you the deposit and cover his fair share of the rent
    The landlord wouldn’t be too bothered I guess. He’s still covered.
    You need to tell them there are serious consequences all round. You really could be evicted. He could be fined by the council for over occupancy and breaching fire regulations etc.
    I’d suggest you go ASAP to get some proper expert advice. Your uni will probably have experience with these issues and so will citizens advice. Find out where you stand and then decide what to do.
    You don’t have to live in this situation if you don’t want to.
    Be aware that if the girlfriends find out they’ll probably never speak to you again but it’s just this year, you’ll have your own friends and you will be ok.
    I hope you can sort it
    hmm but do you think that the landlord would find out though? I am not sure how to address this all, am fine with my housemate so I don't want to start an argument. I might go and ask my uni for advice

ReputationRep:
    hmm but do you think that the landlord would find out though? I am not sure how to address this all, am fine with my housemate so I don't want to start an argument. I might go and ask my uni for advice
    You could do that officially through the landlord. He’s taking over your tenancy.
    You wouldn’t get your deposit from the landlord. That’s why you get it from the boyfriend. He will get yours back from the landlord at the end of the tenancy assuming everything is ok.
    They’re not too bothered. They still get the rent.
    Have you discussed it with your parents? They could help.
    To be fair, if one of my lads came to me with this issue, I’d probably have gone round and thrown them out! I’m not good at tact when my boys are upset!!!!! ( maybe a bit extreme but talk to them anyway)
    Please speak to someone ASAP. The longer you leave it, the more annoyed you will become and it will impact your studies etc

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have been living in my student house for about two weeks now and one of my housemates boyfriend has moved in. At first he informed he would be staying over for a week but it's been about just over two weeks since he has been here and it doesn't look like he would be moving out soon. He told me he would be staying here for a week due to the fact that he needs to find a house however I have no idea why it would still take him this long to this day.

My other house mate informed me not too long ago that she would be bringing her boyfriend from abroad and he will be living with us. She did mention he will split the bills but this is not what I asked for. I asked to share a house with 3 other girls not 3 girls and 2 guys and now the whole thing is annoying me and I have to pretend I am okay with it to avoid any arguments. More people just means less time and more time consuming and I don't want to share with 2 more guys. 3 girls is what I wanted. I just find it plain awkward and my housemate just only pretty much hangs out with her boyfriend in the house like it's difficult for me to build a connection with her.

I am quite annoyed about this and I want to think whether or not I am exaggerating this whole situation. Do you think it's fair for my house mates to do this?
    That is really annoying. I’d feel the same if I were you. They should have asked you if you’re okay with it before letting their guys move in. The first thing I suggest you do is tell your flatmates how you feel. If they do nothing about it then you’ll have to make things a bit messy by telling your landlord who will then handle it in your favour. You’d probably lose them as friends if you go down this route, but if they don’t care that their actions make you uncomfortable then they aren’t true friends anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You're not being unfair but there's little you can do without ruining the atmosphere in the flat. You should speak to them together and insist that BOTH boyfriends pay towards the bills for everything they're using. If there are any other specific issues e.g. you can't get in the shower in the morning or the fridge is too full - then bring those up too and make it clear people paying rent should be prioritised. Further than that all you can do is tell them you're unhappy about it... if they decide not to listen your next step is complaining to the landlord which they will hate you for (and still may not solve the problem);

ReputationRep:
    im in a similar situation currently, but we agreed to check that it was okay with the landlord. If that can be done it'll be good. But for the most part I would just suck it up. I completely get it but making a drama about it isn't doing anyone any favours. If you are able to have an actual discussion about it with them tho I think you'll all feel a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlcacti)
    im in a similar situation currently, but we agreed to check that it was okay with the landlord. If that can be done it'll be good. But for the most part I would just suck it up. I completely get it but making a drama about it isn't doing anyone any favours. If you are able to have an actual discussion about it with them tho I think you'll all feel a lot better.
    So your landlord is fine with it? Yeah I am *learningg* to live with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    You're not being unfair but there's little you can do without ruining the atmosphere in the flat. You should speak to them together and insist that BOTH boyfriends pay towards the bills for everything they're using. If there are any other specific issues e.g. you can't get in the shower in the morning or the fridge is too full - then bring those up too and make it clear people paying rent should be prioritised. Further than that all you can do is tell them you're unhappy about it... if they decide not to listen your next step is complaining to the landlord which they will hate you for (and still may not solve the problem);
    I completely agree.

The OP is in the unfortunate position of being completely in the right but they may not want to rock the boat anyway.

OP:

You should talk to your uni, student services will be able to direct you to the appropriate help. There may also be a dedicated service for accomodation issues.

Though I would say it may be worth it to point out to your flatmates that if this continues you will tell the landlord. If the landlord is okay with it, then they are likely at fault as well as it's probably not a house suitable for 5 people. I would think that if they allowed this your landlord would be breaking your contract (I'm not sure about this though). So, if it were me I'd take a firm stance on getting them out. However I'm a bit of a recluse so burning bridges to get what I paid for is not a big deal to me. As someone mentioned talking to your parents may help, landlords and estate agents will often take them more seriously.

The biggest issue to adress is if you're paying 1/3 of the rent. Really it should be 1/5. If you can tolerate it for a year and get rent and bills negotiated down to 1/5 it may be okay to leave it as is.

At the very least make sure your legitimate flatmates are on the contractual hook for bill payments. You don't want to be the one with sole responsibility for paying bills in this kind of situation.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have been living in my student house for about two weeks now and one of my housemates boyfriend has moved in. At first he informed he would be staying over for a week but it's been about just over two weeks since he has been here and it doesn't look like he would be moving out soon. He told me he would be staying here for a week due to the fact that he needs to find a house however I have no idea why it would still take him this long to this day.

My other house mate informed me not too long ago that she would be bringing her boyfriend from abroad and he will be living with us. She did mention he will split the bills but this is not what I asked for. I asked to share a house with 3 other girls not 3 girls and 2 guys and now the whole thing is annoying me and I have to pretend I am okay with it to avoid any arguments. More people just means less time and more time consuming and I don't want to share with 2 more guys. 3 girls is what I wanted. I just find it plain awkward and my housemate just only pretty much hangs out with her boyfriend in the house like it's difficult for me to build a connection with her.

I am quite annoyed about this and I want to think whether or not I am exaggerating this whole situation. Do you think it's fair for my house mates to do this?
    I would be concerned about your rental agreement. 6 in a house for 4. landlord probably isn't insured for 6 tenants. if the bf is paying his way that's subletting and would count as fraud so yeah...

And on the lifestyle change When i moved into our house Sept 2016 it was; me, 2 guys and 2 girls. They all got on really well - now its me and two couples. they've had a great time and i feel a bit out of place a bit awkward you could say. We would all eat together go shopping together and then the dynamic changed and its now couples eating cutely together and me watching Netflix on my own in my room. its great...

ReputationRep:
    I had a situation where this girls boy friend moved in and didn't pay for anything what was annoying though was if i was in the kitchen making a cup of tea or frying some thin no matter ho much time it'd take me they would have these loud explicit conversations until I scuttled away.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me in second year, one of my housemate's boyfriends moved in just out of nowhere, without any consultation with the rest of the house. He started paying rent, contributing towards bills etc but it's still subletting and our landlord would have had a fit if he'd found out. Speak to your landlord and see what he says, you signed an agreement to live with the people stated on the contract, not anyone else. Having people over for a few days to visit is fine, but not to live there permanently. The fact that one of your housemates told you to keep it a secret shows she also knows it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    This happened to me in second year, one of my housemate's boyfriends moved in just out of nowhere, without any consultation with the rest of the house. He started paying rent, contributing towards bills etc but it's still subletting and our landlord would have had a fit if he'd found out. Speak to your landlord and see what he says, you signed an agreement to live with the people stated on the contract, not anyone else. Having people over for a few days to visit is fine, but not to live there permanently. The fact that one of your housemates told you to keep it a secret shows she also knows it's wrong.
    I cannot tell my landlord as its going to make my whole house awkward. (It's already awkward as it is). I would love to find a way for my landlord to find out without telling him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    I completely agree.

The OP is in the unfortunate position of being completely in the right but they may not want to rock the boat anyway.

OP:

You should talk to your uni, student services will be able to direct you to the appropriate help. There may also be a dedicated service for accomodation issues.

Though I would say it may be worth it to point out to your flatmates that if this continues you will tell the landlord. If the landlord is okay with it, then they are likely at fault as well as it's probably not a house suitable for 5 people. I would think that if they allowed this your landlord would be breaking your contract (I'm not sure about this though). So, if it were me I'd take a firm stance on getting them out. However I'm a bit of a recluse so burning bridges to get what I paid for is not a big deal to me. As someone mentioned talking to your parents may help, landlords and estate agents will often take them more seriously.

The biggest issue to adress is if you're paying 1/3 of the rent. Really it should be 1/5. If you can tolerate it for a year and get rent and bills negotiated down to 1/5 it may be okay to leave it as is.

At the very least make sure your legitimate flatmates are on the contractual hook for bill payments. You don't want to be the one with sole responsibility for paying bills in this kind of situation.
    I get what you are saying but telling my landlord will make things super awkward

ReputationRep:
    I cannot tell my housemates has its going to make my whole house awkward. (It's already awkward as it is). I would love to find a way for my landlord to find out without telling him
    Yeah, I understand, if you told your landlord and they got into **** with him, it would be awful for you. I think the best thing to do is speak to your housemates about it, as a group, just them and not their partners. Bring up how you're feeling and how you could resolve the situation. I know neither of the boyfriends have their own accommodation but perhaps encourage them to find somewhere together? Or maybe the one that's not from abroad can live with other mates for like half the week or something. Stress how important it is to them that they'll get in real trouble if the landlord finds out.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are saying but telling my landlord will make things super awkward
    I think you need to tell the landlord. Remember that only the four of you on the contract are liable for the house. If either of these two guys break something, they can scuttle away and you'll be left footing the bill.

You shouldn't have to spend a year living unhappily because your flatmates are breaking both the law and the terms of their contract, and you certainly shouldn't have to find alternative accommodation when this isn't even remotely your fault.

You need to tell the landlord, and you need to tell the landlord sooner rather than later. Bite the unpleasant bullet, send him/her an email and get this situation sorted out for good.

Best of luck.
    • Very Important Poster

Bit late for this, but just to offer some support I think you have every reason to feel unsettled. You arent exaggerating.

The experience sharing with two couples is very different from that with two ither people.

A flat is also very different with five people as opposed to 3.

You can either get on with it or find somewhere else. the LL is not going to be impressed and it will be in breach of the lease. They wont care about you, but they do care about losing money.

See how it goes and if its not working then leave.

ReputationRep:
    You're not exaggerating. It's your house too.

ReputationRep:
    Try to bang him to get back at them. Works most of the time, or so I heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bengali FishFace)
    Why not have a threesome?:hubba:

Is your housemate white?
    Threesome? You are pathetic honestly.

Spoiler:
    Show

And no, they are chinese.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.