Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey everyone

    I am currently finishing up my first degree (BA and MA) in Belgium which translates to 'Linguistics and Literary Studies in two languages: Dutch - English). It means I have a combined linguistics and literature degree in Dutch/English.

    However, I've always wanted to go to Oxford. Currently I am conflicted between applying for a second undergrad degree (English Language and Literature) or shooting for a MA/DPhil (English).

    The reason why I'm even interested in a second undergrad is because English Literature was only a quarter of my current degree and the only part I was not only interested but passionate about. However, one of my professors thinks I shouldn't go back to a 'lower level' and apply for a MA/DPhil instead.

    Has anyone been in the same/similar situation as me who could give me some advice? I'm currently 21 turning 22 in November, so I was definitely going to apply to a mature college like Harris Manchester. I'm scared that if I am lucky enough to get in to either (BA or MA/DPhil) that it respectively will be too general/'simple' for me or I won't be prepared enough for starting my own proper research (especially in a field which I've only seen a quarter of).

    Kind regards
    Elise x

    I'm not sure if doing a second undergrad degree would really benefit you, unless the subject is drastically different and it supports your career aims. Trying to apply for Masters would be the best bet, as it extends your career and academic progression.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    As above, it's a bit pointless given you already have a bachelors in literature (inc English Lit). Also bear in mind, for second degrees you are liable for all tuition fees, as well as the college fee (which is something like £5-8k extra) and any living costs. It's a very expensive endeavour - conversely for a DPhil you will often be receiving a stipend to pursue it (that said these are rarer in humanities subjects I believe, but even without you'll normally get paid work marking and doing tutorials etc in a DPhil). It also progresses your overall academic (or other) career, as above.
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.