Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am studying abroad in Australia and I booked a return journey here to arrive back to the UK in mid-December. I applied for the travel grant and had the cost of this return journey reimbursed (minus £303).

However, due to personal issues, I need to return to the UK earlier than expected and I am looking to change my flight to end of November/early December. As I did not purchase flexi flights, the cost to change my return journey to the UK is around £450.

My question to you is if I change my flight and pay this, can I apply for the travel grant to reimburse this cost and have it taken as one of my flights?

I am happy to forfeit one of my flights in order to do this (I believe I am allowed to apply for up to 6 single flights, or 3 return journeys). However, I do not wish to change my flight if SFE will not be happy to reimburse me for this.

Thank you!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summertor)
    Hi there,

I am studying abroad in Australia and I booked a return journey here to arrive back to the UK in mid-December. I applied for the travel grant and had the cost of this return journey reimbursed (minus £303).

However, due to personal issues, I need to return to the UK earlier than expected and I am looking to change my flight to end of November/early December. As I did not purchase flexi flights, the cost to change my return journey to the UK is around £450.

My question to you is if I change my flight and pay this, can I apply for the travel grant to reimburse this cost and have it taken as one of my flights?

I am happy to forfeit one of my flights in order to do this (I believe I am allowed to apply for up to 6 single flights, or 3 return journeys). However, I do not wish to change my flight if SFE will not be happy to reimburse me for this.

Thank you!
    Hi summertor

I have contacted our Travel Grant Team to check this for you and will reply to you once they respond.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi summertor

I have contacted our Travel Grant Team to check this for you and will reply to you once they respond.

Thanks Rona

- Great. Thanks, Rona!

ReputationRep:
    - Great. Thanks, Rona!
    Hi summertor

I have had a response from the travel grant team, their
    advice would be to claim the cost, but provide a letter from the host university to confirm that the journey/change of flight date was unavoidable due to personal issues.

Send with your claim form and covering letter and customer reference number.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that I should speak to health services and get a letter from them?I'm unsure how long this would take and the flights are getting filled up soon. Could I not just have the change of flight cost taken as one of my 6 single journeys?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that I should speak to health services and get a letter from them?I'm unsure how long this would take and the flights are getting filled up soon. Could I not just have the change of flight cost taken as one of my 6 single journeys?
    Hi summertor,

I sent your enquiry to the travel grant team, they have advised they would need this evidence.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.