The Student Room Group

Retaking AS level

Hi! Can anyone explain to me how retaking AS level in my A2 year would affect my universities offer? If I retake AS during summer with A2, then is it true that the new AS grade won't affect my universities offer? Since at that time, my ucas application form would have been submitted already and the predicted grades are already decided. So, what is the pros of retaking AS during my A2 year?
Original post by Rockgo288
Hi! Can anyone explain to me how retaking AS level in my A2 year would affect my universities offer? If I retake AS during summer with A2, then is it true that the new AS grade won't affect my universities offer? Since at that time, my ucas application form would have been submitted already and the predicted grades are already decided. So, what is the pros of retaking AS during my A2 year?

Why do you want to retake your AS?
In the end, universities offer a place based on A2 results :smile:
Reply 2
if so, why would my classmates retake as? so there is no pros for retaking as? and if i retake will it change my prdicted grades?
If you retake, some unis may make their entry requirements slightly higher. Look at the websites and email some of them to see how it would affect you
if so, why would my classmates retake as? so there is no pros for retaking as? and if i retake will it change my prdicted grades?

You only retake it if the AS level is a part of your A2 grade.

For example I'm in year 13, and the last year doing old spec maths, so my my AS maths results go towards my A2 maths results, so I am retaking to get higher UMS in the easier modules from AS. But my Physics spec is new, so if I wanted to retake there would be no point as I would be tested on my AS knowledge anyways as part of the A2 exam and the AS grade would be worthless after my A2 exam.
Reply 5
Original post by SlashaRussia
You only retake it if the AS level is a part of your A2 grade.

For example I'm in year 13, and the last year doing old spec maths, so my my AS maths results go towards my A2 maths results, so I am retaking to get higher UMS in the easier modules from AS. But my Physics spec is new, so if I wanted to retake there would be no point as I would be tested on my AS knowledge anyways as part of the A2 exam and the AS grade would be worthless after my A2 exam.

Thanks! that clear up my mind and quesions!

It depends whether your A levels are linear or modular.

If its linear then AS will not affect A2 and I cant see the point in retaking them as hey wont affect anything.

If its modular then AS will affect A2 and although it might not affect what offers you get it will have the potential of what actual grades you get and in turn whether you meet the offer or not. That is the reason to do them in that situation.

Retaking AS in A2 will mean more work. That could detract from A2.

Quick Reply