Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are non muslim people never classified as terrorists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddie.W999)
    Or maybe because a terrorist has to have a political motivation and as far as we know he didn't?????
    that's what I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    The poster gave you the definition of terrorism. That is not a deflection, unless using basic logic is deflecting the point.

Take the OED:

The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

James Holmes and others had no political aims. That was not the stated motivations for their actions. Anders Breivik, on the other hand, had a political motive and his acts were terroristic.
    Ok?? When did I say terrorism wasn't political motivation? I just said it and keep saying it...

back off. I thought we were BFFs. What happened?

ReputationRep:
    it's a blatant case of hypocrisy, which in this case comes from white priviledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    Just clarifying it for the drongos
    lol..I see. I get it now. You're saying...

white people ARE called terrorists. Hence the IRA. Hehe. Gotcha. I've...not had much sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masstech)
    it's a blatant case of hypocrisy, which in this case comes from white priviledge.
    no no NO. As Nutz99 said, white people ARE called terrorists, hence the IRA. However...English vs Irish is ethnic nutz99.

ReputationRep:
    others have already beaten me to it. Terrorism is violence in support of a political or ideological agenda.
    If Bob decided to kill a load of people randomly that is not terrorism
    If Bob decided he was not happy with with political party X been in power and decided to carry out a violent attack to intimidate people because of this that is terrorism.

If we can conclude that the Las Vegas killer had a particular political or ideological motive behind this attack then I would agree he should be called a terrorist. if not then not.

do we know the motive yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masstech)
    Do you actually believe that? Christ, its because there was no political motive.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilsthebest)
    Come on people Donald trump called the Las Vegas man a sick man and not a terrorist why didn't he call him a terrorist ?
    Because it wasn't for political reasons..... Why can't you lot understand that a mass murder and a terrorist are not the same thing?

Terrorist
    a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just4Poll)
    non muslim = mass murderer
    muslim = terrorist

We need to have the courage to stand up and acknowledge terrorism when it's conducted by non muslims.
    is being considered a "mass murderer" in any way better, or nobler, than being considered a "terrorist" ?

historically, "terrorists" had, quite often, "noble" political motives which (in some specific narrations) somehow justified their actions - "mass murderers" usually didn't, and - most importantly - next to no one justifies their actions

in my view, however, this problem is completely artificial and is (itself) politically motivated

as to the "white privilege" claim, it simply testifies about the abysmal level at which the perfectly legitimate debate about racial discrimination has sunk

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just4Poll)
    Binghamton Shooting 2009
    Jiverly wong - Mass murderer

Aurora Cinema Shooting 2012
    James Jolmes - Mass murderer

Wisconsin Sikh Temple shooting 2012
    Wade Page - Mass murderer / hate crimes

Christopher Dorner Shooting 2013
    Chirstopher Dorner - Mass murderer

Charleston Church Shooting 2015
    Dylann Roof - Mass murderer / hate crimes

Las Vegas Shooting 2017
    Stephen Paddock - Mass murderer

Ali Muhammad shooting 2014
    Ali Muhammad - Terrorism

San Bernardino shooting 2016
    Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik - Terrorism

Orlando Nightclub shooting 2016
    Omar Mateen - Terrorism

The only country that had the balls to label a non muslim as a terrorist was Norway and America only labelled non muslims as terrorists before 9/11. Now the definition of terrorism has shifted so much that it's practically impossible for a non muslim to be convicted of terrorism. Pretty ****ing sad really.

I think whether you're doing it out of hatred, for political reasons, for revenge or whatever the excuse may be, if you inflict terror onto people, you're a terrorist, end of story.

And Canada, when Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, killed six men injured others after a shooting at a Quebec City mosque on Jan. 29, 2017. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard both called the shooting a terrorist attack.

I guess it really depends on the media outlets and the administration in power that is dealing with the story as to what they decide to call it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    Terrorism has to have a political agenda or it's not terrorism. The IRA were terrorists - they were white and Catholic!
    According to who?

Cuz I would have thought anything that puts innocent human lives at risk for whatever motives would be classed as terrorism. Its really that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
    Because it wasn't for political reasons..... Why can't you lot understand that a mass murder and a terrorist are not the same thing?

Terrorist
    a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    ^This

The IRA, ETA, FARC etc, have all been called terrorist organisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edo123)
    According to who?

Cuz I would have thought anything that puts innocent human lives at risk for whatever motives would be classed as terrorism. Its really that simple.
    Dictionary writers!

Being ignorant of the definition of a word is not a good reason to make-up your own.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The world has never really settled on a standard definition of 'terrorism,' but the US Code of Federal Regulations defines it as:

"the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives."

Once again, it all comes down to motive. The test applied is: Was there a political or ideological agenda behind the attack? Under that description, the IRA bombers, Guy Fawkes and Anders Breivik are all terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    They are.

ReputationRep:
    According to who?

So someone who drives dangerously is also a terrorist, as they're putting innocent human lives at risk?

I don't think you've thought out the definition yet, and so I am inclined to trust the lexicographers at Oxford University Press over you.

ReputationRep:
    According to who?

Cuz I would have thought anything that puts innocent human lives at risk for whatever motives would be classed as terrorism.
    So drink driving is terrorism? FFS

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! How come whites are never termed terrorists, with the exception of:

Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber.
    The Oklahoma City Bomber, Timothy McVeigh
    Dylan Roof, Charleston car-driver
    Andrew Joseph Stack, flew a plane in to the IRS, killing one.

The reason you see less is because there are fewer politically motivated killings done by caucasians. There certainly are some. But if it ain't politically motivated, it ain't terrorism.

Murder is murder regardless, but definitions mean things.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, there was no clear political motive behind the Las Vegas attack (unlike, for example Breivik or Roof), the guy just wanted to kill as many people as possible. Labelling something 'terrorism' doesn't necessarily qualify it as worse than mass murder (as the same number of people died), its more about motive than effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Murder is murder regardless, but definitions mean things.
    A lot of guys don't understand this. They seem to think it's a word like 'evil' or 'barbaric'.

"He killed a lot of guys, it's just absolute terrorism!"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.