Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are non muslim people never classified as terrorists? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    no no NO. As Nutz99 said, white people ARE called terrorists, hence the IRA. However...English vs Irish is ethnic nutz99.
    Ah well that's another matter entirely and it wasn't really English v Irish or ethnic, it was Northern Irish Catholics (IRA) v Northern Irish Protestants (UDA) v British Government.

The reality is that there have been plenty of white terrorist groups across Europe even before there were Muslim terrorist groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutz99)
    Ah well that's another matter entirely and it wasn't really English v Irish or ethnic, it was Northern Irish Catholics (IRA) v Northern Irish Protestants (UDA) v British Government.

The reality is that there have been plenty of white terrorist groups across Europe even before there were Muslim terrorist groups.
    Nah the history between Irish and English wasn't just religious, it was an ethnic and cultural clash. Religious feuding hundreds of years ago definitely was about ethnic clashing, so they happen at the same time. There was a time when the Irish weren't pale with red hair and/or freckles and all spoke Gaelic. But you're right, it's another topic but certainly not an irrelevant one. Anyway I agree the IRA is a white terrorist group but the issues stem from their historical ethnic and cultural beef. When I say cultural I include religion.

ReputationRep:
    cus the countries USA want to go to war with don't have any white people in them lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    So drink driving is terrorism? FFS
    I was talking about intentionally killing people you idiot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edo123)
    So a guy who mugs someone then stabs him is a terrorist? By your logic that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edo123)
    "Anyone who puts innocent human lives at risk for whatever motives"

No you weren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Yeah! How come whites are never termed terrorists, with the exception of:

Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber.
    The Oklahoma City Bomber, Timothy McVeigh
    Dylan Roof, Charleston car-driver
    Andrew Joseph Stack, flew a plane in to the IRS, killing one..
    add to that IRA, ETA, anti-abortionists, Italian Red Brigades, German Rote Armee Fraktion, French Action Directe etc etc

why, even the Swiss experienced on and off terrorism in the period between 1970 and 1990 (tied to the "Question Jurassienne") https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Question_jurassienne

more back in time, assorted nationalists, European and American anarchists, Russian populists, etc etc all practiced terrorism and were labeled as "terrorists"

best
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Racism ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    Why are they not classified as terrorists then?
    Most of the time motive is unknown therefore cannot be classed as terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    Not every mass murderer is a terrorist. It has to be an act carried out in persuit of a political objective.

Regardless, most terrorism in the United States for example is actually committed by the non-Mulsim sort -- eco terrorists, animal rights activists and the like. So the notion that white people aren't called terrorists is easily proven false when we look at the terrorism statistics.

The whole "white people aren't called terrorists" thing is such an easily disproven fallacy.

Anyhow, the media in general can be quicker in calling Muslim bombers and shooters terrorists because it's usually clearer straight away what they were doing and what their objectives were. That's my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    According to Islamic State, Stephen Paddock was a Muslim soldier, not a terrorist.

It seems that the OP is keener to label Stephen Paddock a non-Muslim terrorist than a Muslim with mental health issues and no conspiratorial motive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    According to Islamic State, Stephen Paddock was a Muslim soldier, not a terrorist.

It seems that the OP is keener to label Stephen Paddock a non-Muslim terrorist than a Muslim with mental health issues and no conspiratorial motive.
    He's not Muslim though, he had no religious affiliation

ReputationRep:
    I was once assaulted, the person who did it inflicted terror on me are they a terrorist?

ReputationRep:
    White = mentally ill
    Black = terrorist
    (Not my thoughts, that's how it's portrayed on the news)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    He's not Muslim though, he had no religious affiliation
    This may well be true, but that is not my point. We don't yet know if he was part of a conspiracy, or whether he was mentally ill. Why then label him a non-Muslim terrorist, or a Muslim non-terrorist?

ReputationRep:
    if you commit violence/mass murder for political/religious/ideological purposes then you are a terrorist; if you are just an evil murderer then that does not qualify under law.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorism is by all common definitions in pursuit of a political aim. If no political aim is identified then they are a (mass) murderer. This is why Anders Breivik (a white person) is defined as a terrorist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40233702 whereas the Vegas bloke isn't - it's down to whether there's an identifiable political aim, and yes it is a significant difference.

But I'm sure without even reading the thread people have claimed its (a) white privilege, and (b) to demonise [insert group here] because confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    Terrorism is by all common definitions in pursuit of a political aim. If no political aim is identified then they are a (mass) murderer. This is why Anders Breivik (a white person) is defined as a terrorist http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40233702 whereas the Vegas bloke isn't - it's down to whether there's an identifiable political aim, and yes it is a significant difference.

But I'm sure without even reading the thread people have claimed its (a) white privilege, and (b) to demonise [insert group here] because confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.
    Whilst I would word it differently your point is essentially the same as the one I make when people repeat this sort of idiocy. You can tell people over and over again but they’ll be convinced it’s a race thing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just4Poll)
    Binghamton Shooting 2009
    Jiverly wong - Mass murderer

Aurora Cinema Shooting 2012
    James Jolmes - Mass murderer

Wisconsin Sikh Temple shooting 2012
    Wade Page - Mass murderer / hate crimes

Christopher Dorner Shooting 2013
    Chirstopher Dorner - Mass murderer

Charleston Church Shooting 2015
    Dylann Roof - Mass murderer / hate crimes

Las Vegas Shooting 2017
    Stephen Paddock - Mass murderer

Ali Muhammad shooting 2014
    Ali Muhammad - Terrorism

San Bernardino shooting 2016
    Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik - Terrorism

Orlando Nightclub shooting 2016
    Omar Mateen - Terrorism

The only country that had the balls to label a non muslim as a terrorist was Norway and America only labelled non muslims as terrorists before 9/11. Now the definition of terrorism has shifted so much that it's practically impossible for a non muslim to be convicted of terrorism. Pretty ****ing sad really.

I think whether you're doing it out of hatred, for political reasons, for revenge or whatever the excuse may be, if you inflict terror onto people, you're a terrorist, end of story.
    You have to fit the definition of the word "terrorism;" the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Your most recent example (Las Vegas) is still under investigation. There have been no update to suggest this shooter had political motive (regardless to what that motive is).

Charleston Church Shooting 2015 is noted as a hate crime since it targets a specific race or identity. There was no political message from this action. The shooter has taken no political goal(s) because of the action. In direct response to this shooting, an African American has done the exact same thing. Gone to a church and shot people, which has been identified as a murder. No word of terrorist associated with him. This the same for most examples you have under "non-terrorism."

However, look at your list for terrorists and you have a clear political agenda. you have terrorist groups taking claim on those actions and supporting them.

There is no "white privilege" at play. Only considering the proper definition.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.