Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for university I got the ~£5k maintenance loan as I am commuting. I am now planning on moving into halls of residence, so wish to increase my loan to ~£6k this year. Is it possible to make this change online if I decide to stay in halls over the next few weeks, or will I have to live on the maintenance loan I initially applied for?
    Also, if it is possible to change, when would I receive my first additional payment (since my first payment has already gone in)?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason1297)
    When I applied for university I got the ~£5k maintenance loan as I am commuting. I am now planning on moving into halls of residence, so wish to increase my loan to ~£6k this year. Is it possible to make this change online if I decide to stay in halls over the next few weeks, or will I have to live on the maintenance loan I initially applied for?
    Also, if it is possible to change, when would I receive my first additional payment (since my first payment has already gone in)?
    You can change your maintenance loan up to 9 months after you start uni.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jason1297)
    Hi jason1297

Simply log into your account at www.gov.uk/studentfinance and go to Your Account > Change your application > University/college and course.

To change form 'living at parental home' to 'elsewhere' you will need to select the change course details option on their account to access the functionality.

Update the 'where I will be living during term 1, 2 and 3' and if required your term time address details in order to ensure a reassessment takes place.

Ensure that you have selected the maximum living costs in order to access any additional funding.

Changes can be made via the online COC under the 'Loan Amount' section & can be made up to one month before the end of the academic year.

If you not able to change the loan amounts online then we can post the 'Maintenance Loan Request Form' to you.

Once processed, you can be confident any additional entitlement for term one will be backdated and submitted as an additional payment/interim payment and future instalments adjusted.

You can call us on

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.