Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

he asked me to pay. what should i do? second date? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is the original quote by OP:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because he kept hinting. He was saying things like 'let me treat you' and 'my treat' and 'let me take you out'. I was fully prepared to pay and I always offer but the way he was acting was just odd to me.
    (Original post by Masstech)
    But he didn't say 'my treat' or that he would pay for everything.
    Yes he did say my treat, so he should be expected to pay. If i said that i'll treat someone and then backed off then im the one to blame.
    My point is that if he didn't say or mention that he will pay for any of her meal then it would be logical of her to pay, but the fact that he actually said my treat (as well as inviting her) then he should really get the blame :/

ReputationRep:
    One date we were at the till and I dug in my purse and he says, "don't you dare pay and embarrass me." I literally stood there like wide eyes and blushing and didn't pay lol

Another time they brought the bill to our table and I took the receipt and he snatched it from me...

Do you expect him to pay? What's wrong w/ u?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Unknow)
    This is the original quote by OP:

Yes he did say my treat, so he should be expected to pay. If i said that i'll treat someone and then backed off then im the one to blame.
    My point is that if he didn't say or mention that he will pay for any of her meal then it would be logical of her to pay, but the fact that he actually said my treat (as well as inviting her) then he should really get the blame :/
    You are making things up, The OP did not say that he said it was his treat.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I find it hard to believe you didnt think something was wrong whe he only ordered an entree or

that you didnt check who was paying or

Your ordered so much more, which seems to be taking advantage.

On the other side its not unreasonable to expect someone who asks you to dinner to be paying unless otherwise agreed as you are his guest.

Perhaps you will learn from it and think next time?
    You should ditch him though as he obviously knew what he was doing and played you. He has no respect for you, but that is something you will have to learn.
    He did say "my treat", which does imply he'll pay.

I find it hard to believe you didnt think something was wrong whe he only ordered an entree or

that you didnt check who was paying or

Your ordered so much more, which seems to be taking advantage.

On the other side its not unreasonable to expect someone who asks you to dinner to be paying unless otherwise agreed as you are his guest.

Perhaps you will learn from it and think next time?
    You should ditch him though as he obviously knew what he was doing and played you. He has no respect for you, but that is something you will have to learn.
    I did. I thought the whole thing was weird as ****. I only stayed because he was really funny and had good conversation. He said he wasn't hungry so he didn't want much. It is hard to explain but he was the one getting more food. I didnt ask for more he kind of did it for me. I went along with it because like I said, he said 'my treat'. It was extremely weird but I wasn't trying to take advantage because I was prepared to pay and like I said, I always offer but the way he was acting was quite dodgy. I didn't even eat most of the stuff he ordered but he still told me to pay.

You are making things up, The OP did not say that he said it was his treat.
    yes i did. read the thread. he said it was his treat multiple times

ReputationRep:
    yes i did. read the thread. he said it was his treat multiple times
    You do not say that he said it's his treat. Him getting you to come is not saying his treat, him encouraging you to order more is not him saying it's his treat. Your talking nonsense.

sounds like he was trying to get some form of revenge. probably been used by a lot of other women for a free meal therefore he wanted to get his own back on women kind and took it out on you. i sincerely hope you're not dumb enough to contemplate a second date with this user

ReputationRep:
    Do you expect him to pay? What's wrong w/ u?
    lol so many broke people here. whoever instigates the date should pay. not rocket science. it hardly costs the earth either...
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    He did say "my treat", which does imply he'll pay.
    Im going word blind. On that basis totally agree with you and goes more along the line of bad faith. Much less about the money and more about what happened and hos motives. Bad news.

You do not say that he said it's his treat. Him getting you to come is not saying his treat, him encouraging you to order more is not him saying it's his treat. Your talking nonsense.
    the words 'my treat' came out of his mouth, therefore, yes, he said it is his treat. I am probably more qualified to recall my experiences than you are. I assure you, he said it was his treat.
    • Very Important Poster

I did. I thought the whole thing was weird as ****. I only stayed because he was really funny and had good conversation. He said he wasn't hungry so he didn't want much. It is hard to explain but he was the one getting more food. I didnt ask for more he kind of did it for me. I went along with it because like I said, he said 'my treat'. It was extremely weird but I wasn't trying to take advantage because I was prepared to pay and like I said, I always offer but the way he was acting was quite dodgy. I didn't even eat most of the stuff he ordered but he still told me to pay.
    As i missed and Tiger pointed out the my treat means he pays + he invited you.
    He didnt treat you.
    He did play you, so learn your lesson. Highly unlikely to happen to me.

Its depressing you dont just ditch him straight away and you just make comment about him being good looking .

Im going word blind. On that basis totally agree with you and goes more along the line of bad faith. Much less about the money and more about what happened and hos motives. Bad news.
    exactly! i am not worried about the money, more about him as a person. just really weird.

ReputationRep:
    the words 'my treat' came out of his mouth, therefore, yes, he said it is his treat. I am probably more qualified to recall my experiences than you are. I assure you, he said it was his treat.
    Why didn't you say that in your original post then?

If he did say that( assuming you are being honest) then obviously only then you would rightly think that he was paying.

ReputationRep:
    Omg get rid of him, how dare he omg, ijfdckx i am shooketh

As i missed and Tiger pointed out the my treat means he pays + he invited you.
    He didnt treat you.
    He did play you, so learn your lesson. Highly unlikely to happen to me.

Its depressing you dont just ditch him straight away and you just make comment about him being good looking .
    i dont understand the last comment

ReputationRep:
    I went out with this guy who seemed really nice and funny. I wasn't really up for it but he insisted so I went along with it. He kept asking me to order more (wine, dessert etc) which was a bit full on but it was fine (free food, right). At the end of the date the total was 120 and he wanted me to pay for what I got and for him to pay for his. This usually would be completely fine but guess what? HE ONLY GOT AN ENTREE! So I ended up paying about 100 quid including service charge.

I just don't understand what he's playing at. He is the one who practically begged me to go out with him to some annoying fancy place and then he hardly wants to eat anything but is ordering me all sorts. My friends say to ditch him but I can't help thinking that's a bit shallow. He was nice to look at though lol
    The way I see it, you got yourself into this mess.
    I'm not saying he's not to blame at all but you need to realise that you assumed he was going to pay.
    Yes he may have said it was "his treat" but he didn't specifically say he was going to pay for you. In addition, you ordered expensive dishes without catching on that he only ordered a starter so that's on you.
    Did you not feel like you were being a bit too greedy when you ordered food 5 times more expensive than his?

(Original post by MrDoggyPants)
    The way I see it, you got yourself into this mess.
    I'm not saying he's not to blame at all but you need to realise that you assumed he was going to pay.
    Yes he may have said it was "his treat" but he didn't specifically say he was going to pay for you. In addition, you ordered expensive dishes without catching on that he only ordered a starter so that's on you.
    Did you not feel like you were being a bit too greedy when you ordered food 5 times more expensive than his?
    he insisted, I didnt choose the food. he was the one that spoke to the waitress. I only got tap water and a starter, he kept adding on but said he wasnt hungry when the food came. like i said, i dont care that he didnt pay, he was just really weird about it.

ReputationRep:
    I went out with this guy who seemed really nice and funny. I wasn't really up for it but he insisted so I went along with it. He kept asking me to order more (wine, dessert etc) which was a bit full on but it was fine (free food, right). At the end of the date the total was 120 and he wanted me to pay for what I got and for him to pay for his. This usually would be completely fine but guess what? HE ONLY GOT AN ENTREE! So I ended up paying about 100 quid including service charge.

I just don't understand what he's playing at. He is the one who practically begged me to go out with him to some annoying fancy place and then he hardly wants to eat anything but is ordering me all sorts. My friends say to ditch him but I can't help thinking that's a bit shallow. He was nice to look at though lol
    Wrong.

But ditch him. He probably wanted to do this to you and is probably bragging on some forum right now how he got some stupid girl to spend a lot of money because she thought she was getting a free meal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.