Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-EU Resident Student Finance Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have been in the UK since Oct 2012 (England since September 2013) and I will be applying to universities this year as I am currently in Year 13. However, I do not have 'settled' status/ indefinite leave to remain.I have limited leave (can apply for indefinite in a year or so). Will I be eligible for funding from student finance?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mzmk)
    Hi,
    I have been in the UK since Oct 2012 (England since September 2013) and I will be applying to universities this year as I am currently in Year 13. However, I do not have 'settled' status/ indefinite leave to remain.I have limited leave (can apply for indefinite in a year or so). Will I be eligible for funding from student finance?

Hi mzmk,

You may be eligible for student support if you have Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) if LLR is granted on Humanitarian Protection grounds for example; Refugee Status.

or

Applicants with LLR may be eligible for student support under the new long residency category,

• under 18 years of age and who have lived in the UK for at least 7 years prior to the start of the first day of the first academic year of their course; or are
    • aged 18 years and above who have either spent at least half their life in the UK or at least 20 years in the UK prior to the first day of the first academic year of their course

In all cases, the students will also need to demonstrate three years ordinary lawful residence in the UK immediately before the start of their course, and meet other relevant eligibility criteria to be able to access student support.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.