Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I do an art course: Film. It's at an all arts Uni also.

Last year(2nd Semester) I started having serious doubts about my course, and about Uni in general. The course I'm doing is good, but I don't think it's for me. I want to do something more academic I've realized like Biology something I always wanted to do but thought I wasn't smart enough for. So I'm looking into foundation course.

As for uni life, Last year I had a few friends but they were always busy and we only saw each now and then.So I was very much alone. This caused me to fall into the worst depression and loneliness stage I've ever experienced. I tried to get help, but the uni services said it'd take 6 weeks for me to get an appointment and even then the counselor didn't help in the way I thought I needed (I guess I should have been more patient). I wanted to leave then are there.

Despite this my summer at home was great, I felt a lot better and more positive and decided Maybe I should go back and see if anything changes.

It hasn't, Now I'm in my 2nd week back, and it's all happening again. I know and pretty sure I want to change course and uni. But I'm not sure if it's worth it now that I'm in the second year. On top of that, I want to change course, meaning I'd have to start again in year 1 or year 0. More money..., I know I could transfer, but film degree credits aren't worth any to any Bsc Degree.

Thank you if you managed to read all this, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrw1990)
    So I do an art course: Film. It's at an all arts Uni also.

Last year(2nd Semester) I started having serious doubts about my course, and about Uni in general. The course I'm doing is good, but I don't think it's for me. I want to do something more academic I've realized like Biology something I always wanted to do but thought I wasn't smart enough for. So I'm looking into foundation course.

As for uni life, Last year I had a few friends but they were always busy and we only saw each now and then.So I was very much alone. This caused me to fall into the worst depression and loneliness stage I've ever experienced. I tried to get help, but the uni services said it'd take 6 weeks for me to get an appointment and even then the counselor didn't help in the way I thought I needed (I guess I should have been more patient). I wanted to leave then are there.

Despite this my summer at home was great, I felt a lot better and more positive and decided Maybe I should go back and see if anything changes.

It hasn't, Now I'm in my 2nd week back, and it's all happening again. I know and pretty sure I want to change course and uni. But I'm not sure if it's worth it now that I'm in the second year. On top of that, I want to change course, meaning I'd have to start again in year 1 or year 0. More money..., I know I could transfer, but film degree credits aren't worth any to any Bsc Degree.

Thank you if you managed to read all this, any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Getting help is the first step which it looks like you've recognised. These things can take time though so you have to stick with it. No one has a magic wand. If you've confirmed that you're feeling the same way again then maybe this degree really isn't for you. You may want to consider leaving now so you have 3 years of funding left to start over. Talk to your personal tutor first and go from there. Chin up, everyone has false starts at some point in life (or lots of times!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.