Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had mental health issues since I was 12 (now 16) and one of my issues used to be insomnia. I managed to deal with this without medication by having my dog on my bed but she died suddenly two weeks ago. Since then I haven't been able to get to sleep easily and when I do finally sleep I tend to wake up regularly and so the cycle starts again - typical insomnia symptoms returning. It has got to the point where I can't stay awake whilst doing work and today I actually fell asleep on top of my horse (don't ask how... idek). Is it worth me talking to my psychiatrist to see if she will prescribe something to help or shall I wait a bit longer? I am already taking sertraline and lithium.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah ask her
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth mentioning ASAP, you could try asking for something you can take shortterm as most things your psychiatrist may prescribe that will work well are addictive (zopiclone, ambien, restoril). I'm taking it by the fact that you're on lithium that you have bipolar? As you probably know, lack of sleep can be a trigger for episodes or can be one of the first signs of an episode so it's definitely something your psychiatrist needs to know. I'm sure he'll also recognize the importance of helping you sleep. If you can't get an appointment for a while, you could try getting some promethazine OTC perhaps as that can make people drowsy and might help you.

(Original post by 285790854)
    Hello I have had problems sleeping to and I have been prescribed Olanzapine by my doctor and it works a treat,it relaxes,and helps with anxiety also.It help you get a good nights sleep,i take 2.5 milligrams every night at 9pm,hope the issue is resolved
    Isn't olanzapine an antipsychotic rather than a sleeping tablet though?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.