Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK Student Trying to Understand USA Uni Requirements Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi People!
    Although I have a couple years until I need to apply to uni, I was looking through things and the NYU Music Tech course looks really good overall in a good city too. The only problem is I can't really understand what their website is saying because it uses a lot of American terms and is fairly difficult to navigate with so many links to other parts of the website. Eventually I ended up emailing them, and I think I'm fairly clear on what it means (generally just get good grades and do the application in English, plus submit the audition for music when I do the application) but I thought it would be best to get it checked by someone so that I know what to work on.
    The email reads:
    "Thank you for contacting the Office of University Programs.

You need only provide us with a Transcript in the English Language and whatever documents you deem relevant to your school's grading system. Our Admissions Officers will take care of the rest."
    Sorry if that's fully obvious, but I'm 15 and just thought I'd better get stuff checked over early for something to work on.
    Thanks!
    (P.S. Please tell me which forum this would be better in, I was uncertain given under the "Uni forums" there isn't one for NYU that I can see at the moment, so I just posted under what I am currently doing.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGS8)
    Hi People!
    Although I have a couple years until I need to apply to uni, I was looking through things and the NYU Music Tech course looks really good overall in a good city too. The only problem is I can't really understand what their website is saying because it uses a lot of American terms and is fairly difficult to navigate with so many links to other parts of the website. Eventually I ended up emailing them, and I think I'm fairly clear on what it means (generally just get good grades and do the application in English, plus submit the audition for music when I do the application) but I thought it would be best to get it checked by someone so that I know what to work on.
    The email reads:
    "Thank you for contacting the Office of University Programs.

You need only provide us with a Transcript in the English Language and whatever documents you deem relevant to your school's grading system. Our Admissions Officers will take care of the rest."
    Sorry if that's fully obvious, but I'm 15 and just thought I'd better get stuff checked over early for something to work on.
    Thanks!
    (P.S. Please tell me which forum this would be better in, I was uncertain given under the "Uni forums" there isn't one for NYU that I can see at the moment, so I just posted under what I am currently doing.)
    If that's correct and they don't have any specific subject requirements then I'll most likely take some A-levels that interest me and study some kinda Music Technology in spare time and take day courses on it

ReputationRep:
    American uni admissions teams usually care about the 'big picture' more than just academic achievement. This means GPA (or in your case, A level results), SATs (you can probably find somewhere to take the SATs in the UK--I took the oxford TSA in America so it probably works both ways), and your admissions essay. Write a damn good admissions essay about something weird and interesting, rather than academic. Your grades speak for themselves. American universities like weird people.

I am american and have done two undergraduate degrees (psychology USA, neuroscience UK)

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying to some unis in the US in a couple of years too! From what I've gathered, they don't tend to have subject requirements due to the nature of the major/minor system in the US and the fact you don't need to declare a major when you apply, so choosing whatever A-levels should be fine. I don't know the specific requirements for NYU but you'll probably have to take either the SAT or ACT, and there are test centres in the UK for that. But besides that I don't think your A-levels matter too much because there will be other parts of the application that US unis tend to care more about--your SAT or ACT score, essays, teacher recommendations etc.

I'm not a professional on this but I have done a bit of research on it since I am going to apply myself and you can never start thinking about it too soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiech)
    I'm planning on applying to some unis in the US in a couple of years too! From what I've gathered, they don't tend to have subject requirements due to the nature of the major/minor system in the US and the fact you don't need to declare a major when you apply, so choosing whatever A-levels should be fine. I don't know the specific requirements for NYU but you'll probably have to take either the SAT or ACT, and there are test centres in the UK for that. But besides that I don't think your A-levels matter too much because there will be other parts of the application that US unis tend to care more about--your SAT or ACT score, essays, teacher recommendations etc.

I'm not a professional on this but I have done a bit of research on it since I am going to apply myself and you can never start thinking about it too soon
    Ah OK thanks both of you. I'll try looking into the SAT things more, not sure if that's necessary as I found something saying NYU are "exam-flexible" and it seems to suggest that for UK A-levels are fine, but I'm sure they'll like SATs too if I can get them, and I found a post somewhere on here to do with GPA translations for GCSE and A-level grades so that should be cool.

edit: ah, quick look over what the SAT is doesn't look too bad, just gotta find some place to do it and argue my parents to let me do it at some point lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NGS8)
    Ah OK thanks both of you. I'll try looking into the SAT things more, not sure if that's necessary as I found something saying NYU are "exam-flexible" and it seems to suggest that for UK A-levels are fine, but I'm sure they'll like SATs too if I can get them, and I found a post somewhere on here to do with GPA translations for GCSE and A-level grades so that should be cool.
    NYU is one of the few unis in the US that doesn't really need the SATs and will accept you based on examination score for a certain programme (like A-levels or the IB). But before you apply (like the year (and a half) before you send your application), I would give the admissions office a call or send them an email explaining your situation and see if you have to take SATs. This would give you plenty of time to figure out where and when to take SATs (more than once additionally).

Hope this helps a bit,

LibertySea x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertySea)
    NYU is one of the few unis in the US that doesn't really need the SATs and will accept you based on examination score for a certain programme (like A-levels or the IB). But before you apply (like the year (and a half) before you send your application), I would give the admissions office a call or send them an email explaining your situation and see if you have to take SATs. This would give you plenty of time to figure out where and when to take SATs (more than once additionally).

Hope this helps a bit,

LibertySea x
    OK thanks. I don't think the SAT actually looks as bad as I expected in terms of what there is on it, so I might try and work something out soon (and try to get to check out the campus, was gonna do this on a maths trip to NYC next year, but it got cancelled)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.