Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Socially anxious/inept second year trying to get involved in new sports and societies Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am currently in my second year on undergraduate and have been wanting to get involved more in university. However, I have been diagnosed with anxiety (social anxiety to be specific) and am generally a quiet/reserved and shy person, I also didn't make any friends in my first year so I am not sure how to get involved.

My concern generally stretches to all kinds of societies that are interesting to me, but there is one society that I would like to join particularly is a sports society. I have never played it before so I will be a complete beginner in it. It is pretty fun though so I am more inclined to join for the sports part than the social side. They do provide lessons but I went to a tasters event the other day and it seems like everyone is really good, while I am the one newbie there. They are also organising night outs, meet and greet and pub trips in the first few weeks, and I have never been to any of these events before. All of them are pretty outgoing so I would probably stick out like a sore thumb while trying to figure out how to interact with them. Would it be very weird if I just show up alone without knowing anyone or anything about these events, being the awkward and quiet self I am, while I should be expected to have done all these as a second year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Who cares if it's 'weird', just do it! :lol: It'll be fun and maybe you'll meet some cool people. Just be nice and don't worry about how other people perceive you.

Spoiler:
    Show

I have the social anxies too, but sometimes you've just got to power through it I'm afraid. It get's better with practice, I promise

ReputationRep:
    My experience of uni clubs is that they are super supportive and friendly. I joined half way through a year and was instantly welcomed on socials etc. There was usually someone who's a bit crap. Try it and if it's terrible you can just stop going.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.