Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Having a hard time settling in to uni Watch

It's my third week at uni and I'm finding it tough to settle in. First of all, I got put with flatmates who couldn't be more different to me. They are all very extroverted and outgoing, they go out drinking multiple times a week whereas I don't drink at all and am about as introverted as it gets. There's always pre drinks in our flat and they have loud music playing in the kitchen with about 30 people in there, I go in sometimes to try and be social but I'm just not a social person and find it exhausting after a while. Sometimes I don't even get to have dinner until 11pm because I'm waiting for them all to go out before I can cook. I've had quite bad social anxiety for the last few years and honestly I've forgotten what it feels like to have friends, so now that I have this new opportunity of making friends I don't really know what to do. I don't know how to act around people. I'm very insecure and always feel that I'm annoying or weird, or that people just don't want to talk to me. I don't know why I feel this way but I can't shake it. I feel very lonely and isolated. I've also been sick this past week and missed almost all my lectures, and I'm really struggling to catch up. I'm studying computer science and I have no prior programming experience so I feel really behind and I'm not sure what to do about it or who to go to for help with this. Sorry that this is long I'm just really stressed and upset right now, any advice would be really appreciated thank you

If you're not a social person then there's no point trying to be sociable with other people. You can't help being physically sick, that's something that will definitely pass quickly. Building some self-esteem is important as you say 'I don't know how to act around people. I'm very insecure and always feel that I'm annoying or weird, or that people just don't want to talk to me. I don't know why I feel this way but I can't shake it. I feel very lonely and isolated.' This is a direct consequence of your self-esteem issues.

People definitely do not find you 'annoying or weird' - everybody has enough private stuff going on in their personal lives to care about what another person is going through, unless it is something genuinely serious like depression or a diagnosed mental illness.

Have a look on your University website to see what societies etc exist, and attend one of them. You don't know what might happen, but taking that chance is usually better than not. I went to Uni a relatively shy person back in 2015 and now as I start my final year I have completely changed, so who's to say it won't happen to you as well?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.